News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:56:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shark 45 - Jetco vs. RSM Specs.  (Read 6628 times)

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Shark 45 - Jetco vs. RSM Specs.
« on: September 05, 2011, 06:56:35 AM »
This model's on my "to build" list (future) and was wondering why the specs. are different on the RSM version.
Having never built one, I'm going soley off the box specs. and published info from RSM.
RSM's kit is 7/8" wider span, 36 sq. in. more area and 5.25" shorter than the Jetco kit.
Is this a different version or a modern rendition, upgraded for modern powerplants/ moments? Both are very good looking planes!!

RSM Shark 45
Classic Legal for .45-.61 by Lew McFarland
------------------------------------------------
Wing Span: 58-7/8"
Length: 41-3/4"
Area: 686 sq. in.

Jetco Shark 45
----------------
Wing Span: 58"
Length: 47"
Area: 650 sq. in.

AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
Re: Shark 45 - Jetco vs. RSM Specs.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 10:52:07 AM »
I read somewhere that Jetco modified the design somewhat to make it easier to kit as often occurred in the day. The RSM Shark 45 is the one that Lew flew. It is not modernized in regards to moments, airfoil etc, but simplified for modern construction techniques. Both are excellent fliers and eligible for classic. I have the RSM Shark 45 kit, you won't be disappointed. I also have a Shark 35 about 1/2 way done. It is another excellent offering from RSM. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 11:48:05 AM »
I think Pat Johnston may have drawn the plans for at least the Shark 35 and possibly the 45. Not sure, but take a look at the plans. If he did, just ask him what he used as the base.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 12:16:47 PM »
I had the chance to talk with Lew McFarland after I finished my Shark 45 from RSM plans and he told me the Jetco kit was different but the RSM was the one he flew in competition.

James
AMA 491167

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 12:20:21 PM »
Aaah, I'm enlightened. Thanks for the info!
Vintage kit prices aren't worth the musty, dry wood in the box.  :P
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Pat Johnston

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 07:17:31 AM »
Doug,
Randy is right, I did draw all the modern Shark kits.  The two Sharks are similar, but there arer some subtleties. 
I would not put in a lot of stock on the difference in square inches, because the listed areas on lots of older planes is just plain wrong.  ACAD does the math and the area is 676 squares.  I've seen Shark 45's listed anywhere from 650 to 700 squares in different sources.
The nose and cowl on the Jetco is flat across the bottom, where the RSM kit droops the nose a bit, and to me looks a little funny.  I build my Shark 45 as the Jetco version, because I liked the look better.
As far as "modernizing" the airfoil and/or moments, that is absolutely not needed as Lew's design on both the S35, and S45 are as modern as can ask.  The airfoil is spectacular and the TVC is in the .420 range which both add up to a modern, top competitive combination.  The S35 with an LA46 is my favorite all time classic plane.  I will build another one.
Pat Johnston
Skunk Works

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 08:03:33 PM »
Nice to be right once in awhile.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 09:37:37 PM »
Doug,
Randy is right, I did draw all the modern Shark kits.  The two Sharks are similar, but there arer some subtleties. 
(snip)
As far as "modernizing" the airfoil and/or moments, that is absolutely not needed as Lew's design on both the S35, and S45 are as modern as can ask.  The airfoil is spectacular and the TVC is in the .420 range which both add up to a modern, top competitive combination.  The S35 with an LA46 is my favorite all time classic plane.  I will build another one.
Pat Johnston
Skunk Works

Hi Pat,

I have had a laser cut short kit for a Shark 35 for a LONG time.  On the "old" plans it spoke of using a yard stick for the rear spar.  What do you propose for that spar?  (wooden yard sticks ain't as plentiful as they once were ;D )

Thanks!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 05:56:55 AM »
Surely you have some of that Mexican hardwood balsa laying around in your stash??    I remember when Charley's Hobby Shop got some.  Made for some very tough combat planes. LL~ LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 12:57:58 PM »
Yea, Charlie Reeves built a very nice S45. Wish I had a picture of it.
Jim Lynch has just started a plane from original plans of a Humbler. From what Jim tells me that is what Lew called the plane first. (Nobler - Humbler)
But the kit maker said the name was not good for the market, so the change was made to Shark.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline tom brightbill

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 08:21:25 PM »
As a 12 year old kid, I would watch Charlie Reeves fly his Shark at Noble Park in Paducah.  As good as he was (is), he couldn't keep me from re-kitting my planes.  If anyone has a 1964 American Modeler Annual, you can find a picture on of him taken at the NATS holding what I believe to be the same scratch built plane on page 61.   He's a great part of why I still fly to this day.  Thanks Charlie!
AMA 34849

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 09:32:56 AM »
As a 12 year old kid, I would watch Charlie Reeves fly his Shark at Noble Park in Paducah.  As good as he was (is), he couldn't keep me from re-kitting my planes.  If anyone has a 1964 American Modeler Annual, you can find a picture on of him taken at the NATS holding what I believe to be the same scratch built plane on page 61.   He's a great part of why I still fly to this day.  Thanks Charlie!
Here is a really poor scan of Charlie Reeves beautiful Shark that I took at the 68 nats.  By the way...Charlie & Lew and their Shark's were awesome competitors.
Don Shultz

Offline afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 08:35:44 PM »
Here's Lew's Shark at this years Nats.

"Tight Lines!"  H^^

Wes
Wes Eakin

Offline John Pafford

• New Pilot
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 07:07:40 AM »
I just ordered the RSM kit.  Lookin' forward to getting started on it - Right after I finish the Nobler I got off Ebay.  Probably gonna use a new Mecoa-K&B .61 in it. 

I was thinking about setting it up as a 3-wire with a Webra .61 and doing touch & goes & other silly stuff with it.  Still might, now that I think about it.  I have a brand new Webby in the box just sitting around waiting to be mounted.

I'm getting back into the sport after 60 years or so.  Better late than never, right?  ;)

Best wishes to all,

JP

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 09:14:46 AM »
I just ordered the RSM kit.  Lookin' forward to getting started on it - Right after I finish the Nobler I got off Ebay.  Probably gonna use a new Mecoa-K&B .61 in it. 

I was thinking about setting it up as a 3-wire with a Webra .61 and doing touch & goes & other silly stuff with it.  Still might, now that I think about it.  I have a brand new Webby in the box just sitting around waiting to be mounted.

I'm getting back into the sport after 60 years or so.  Better late than never, right?  ;)

Best wishes to all,

JP

Well JP,

Classic stunt ship powered by an R/C engine, loaded up with three lines, so you can have a bit of fun with the model.

I like it!

Welcome!

BTW. I'll be using a 2.4 TX for the touch n go models I'll be having loads of fun with.

Except mine will be Electric.

Keep on Posting!

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2018, 06:22:36 AM »

Best wishes to all,

JP

Sound like a plan.  I have several aerobatic planes with throttles, but all with 2.4 RC.  Doing stunts with three lines and a Roberts handle is not a good thing.  To make matters worse is your limited choice of bellcranks.  The old three-line system is a pain the butt for scale and carrier, and certainly not fun for stunt.
Paul Smith

Offline John Pafford

• New Pilot
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2018, 04:21:40 PM »
Just got the RSM kit a few days ago.  Very nice!  Looks like a good winter project.

Are there any build logs for this kit?  I've googled it several different ways with no joy - yet.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2018, 11:21:16 AM »
Have you done a search on here??? S?P
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2018, 06:29:58 AM »
My Jetco Shark 45 with Big Jim ST 60. Cheers,PhillySkip

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2018, 02:41:19 PM »
Yep, my kind of pilot. LL~ LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here