News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:57:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Prowler. Is it Nostalgia elegible?  (Read 2713 times)

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Prowler. Is it Nostalgia elegible?
« on: April 08, 2014, 10:06:53 PM »
Is it a 30 plus year old design? Thanks.

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Prowler. Is it Nostalgia elegible?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 05:04:08 AM »
the kit I have has newspaper wadded for packing dated 1992 ... you can check with Bob Hunt he is the designer.
Joe Daly

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 09:48:55 AM »
No. Correction. Did the math wrong. Sounds like it will not qualify. 92 means only 22 years old. Perhaps it was designed and flown 8 years before. I will call Bob Hunt and ask.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 05:25:43 PM »
Hi Dennis,

The Prowler came about from Robby's RD-1 which was in the '91-'92 time frame.  Scott saw the RF-1 and wanted to kit it.  Bob insisted that he wanted a tapered wing and not the straight wing form the RD-1.  So Bob drew the "new" wing and Scott made kits. ;D

We have about 8 more years before either will be Nos.30 legal.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 11:10:01 PM »
Thanks Bill, for the information. Flew one Sunday. I really like it.

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 05:32:13 AM »
The hot ticket is to make it a Prowler E. A couple of guys have installed electric systems in their RD-1's, which is essentially, as Bill Little suggested, just a constant chord Prowler. These ships perform very well that way. I may even opt to update the design to an RD-2E and kit it if I get enough interest. Personally I think the RD-1 flies even better than the Prowler. They both fly well, however. In the spirit of full disclosure, the RD-1 was designed with a very slightly modified Twister wing, but it was made in foam. My son, Robby had two RD-1's and they both flew extremely well.

The photo attached here is of Robby at his first Nats in 1990. He's holding the first RD-1, and he placed second at that Nats in Junior after having learned to fly just a month earlier. He learned to fly the pattern in a week! He went on the win five Nats crowns in a row (one in Junior and four in Senior... Yeah, I'm a proud dad...). I truly believe that the hundreds of flights he flew on the RD-1 gave him the foundation to go on to greater things. A good stunt trainer is a must if you hope to move up the competition ladder.

Frank Imbriaco has a beautiful RD-1E and perhaps he will chime in here with a few comments about it.

Later - Bob Hunt
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 06:57:50 AM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 08:18:06 AM »
In his his earlier flying days, my son Craig had a Prowler given to him. He also flew an RD-1, which we still have. Both airplanes fly very well.
AMA 7544

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 08:27:43 AM »
Just bringing this thread to the top because of a lot of recent interest in my Prowler design. It was kitted by Aerosmith (Scott Smith) years ago, and those kits are now probably all built and flown. While I don't have any immediate plans to re-kit that design, I do offer plans for it through Robin's View Productions in case anyone is interested.

Plans for the RD-1 mentioned in his thread are still available through the Flying Models Plan Service, which is still operating.

Check out the Robin's View Productions site in Vendor's Corner on this forum for details on the availability of plans and wing options for the RD-1 and the Prowler.

Later - Bob Hunt   

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here