News:

• May 13, 2024, 07:02:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sig Akrobat - Classic Legal?  (Read 3054 times)

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Sig Akrobat - Classic Legal?
« on: September 16, 2007, 10:19:48 PM »
This is a derivative design from the Chipmunk, but i am afraid it might be too new.  The plans in the kit were last copyrighted in 1971.  Is there any documentation out there suggesting that the prototype might have been built early enough to qualify for classic?

I got the kit off ebay because I liked it.  Mike Stott always did a nice job with his semi-scale designs!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Sig Akrobat - Classic Legal?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 08:09:14 AM »
HI Dennis,

I would not be surprised if the Akrobat was Classic legal.  I got my first kit in 1971.  Counting design, building, test flying, and time to get it into production, it just *might* fall in before 1 Jan., 1970!   How many kits went into production immediately? (rhetorical)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 09:32:39 PM »
It would be great if it turned out to be legal for Classic, but I doubt it is. I flew one for two seasons in competition about 10 years ago. I think it's a great model design. I would defiantly build another, given the chance.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 07:52:19 AM »
It would be great if it turned out to be legal for Classic, but I doubt it is. I flew one for two seasons in competition about 10 years ago. I think it's a great model design. I would defiantly build another, given the chance.

Hi Clint,

KNowing that an airplane often takes a designer a year or more to draw up, build and finalize, then the time to set up production at Sig, I am *thinking* that the Akrobat could easily be a pre- Jan. 1, 1970 design.  All that had to be done to make it legal was that the design was begun prior to 1-1-1970.  It DEFINITELY fits into the *Spirit* of the Classic rules as a design. ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 05:34:18 PM »
Bill, who here can give give us a definitive answer? I would love to know if this plane could be added to the Classic list. I'd be all over it. :D
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 07:11:22 PM »

Could someone have a plan and look to see if there might be a date on it? I know... Not all plans have dates, I was just asking.

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 08:34:19 PM »
I just opened my kit of the Akrobat cl-16 from sig. Both sheets say at the lower left corner Copyright - 1971 . Dang!
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 08:37:43 PM »
Ahem! lower Right corner.
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 09:09:55 PM »
Ahem! lower Right corner.

Wow same as my plans!   LL~

All seriousness aside, and as Bill alluded to.  It can take awhile for a kit to go from prototype to production stage.  I think the Acrobat uses the same wing (different tips and flaps) as the Chipmunk which IS classic legal.  Thus I was hoping someone MIGHT have some kind of documentation that the prototype was built befure the classic cut-off date.

(but it don't look good, folks!)  :'(
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 09:22:10 PM »
I just opened my kit of the Akrobat cl-16 from sig. Both sheets say at the lower left corner Copyright - 1971 . Dang!

Well, that was just a place to start. I do feel that the design was begun and possibly tested before the plan was copywrited. After all I would want to copywrite the final version and not the first draft. Unless of course you get it right the first go-round!

Robert 

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 09:31:36 PM »
Hmmm.

I just read a couple of posts in another forum that suggest that the RD-1, by Bob Hunt uses the same wing as the Twister. I, however have no idea if this is true or whether the RD-1 predates the Twister.

Robert

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 06:01:59 AM »
Isn't the rule "kitted or published" by a certain date, not imagined or thought about before the date?

Maybe a guy thought about it 10 or 12 years before he got around to kitting and/or publishing.

The original rule was well-stated, and easy to enforce.  There seems to be enough slack in "new thinking" to fly anything you want to bluff by.
Paul Smith

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 06:10:59 AM »
Isn't the rule "kitted or published" by a certain date, not imagined or thought about before the date?

Maybe a guy thought about it 10 or 12 years before he got around to kitting and/or publishing.

The original rule was well-stated, and easy to enforce.  There seems to be enough slack in "new thinking" to fly anything you want to bluff by.

The rule, as you've quoted, is only partly correct.

As I understand it, the criteria is Kitted, published, designed, or built before the cutoff date.
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 06:49:49 AM »
The rule, as you've quoted, is only partly correct.

As I understand it, the criteria is Kitted, published, designed, or built before the cutoff date.

... which is why I have written a note to Mike Gretz to see if he can supply any evidence of a earlier (than 1971 plans copyright) date - hopefully early enough to get under the wire.

I remember Mike Stott was very enthusiastic about semi-scale aerobatic birds.  At roughly the same time frame Maxey Hester brought out the RC Scale version of the Zlin, I'd bet Mike was aware of Maxey's doucmentation and that helped inspire his CLPA version.

But its back to the magic words, can it be documented...?  So far the answer is no.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 07:32:17 AM »
Dennis and all,

I wish I could give you the answer you are hoping for, but all I can say is that I'm doubtful that the Akrobat makes the classic deadline.  I wasn't here (at SIG) at the time the Akrobat came out, but the original "Bill of Materials" in here in my files at work, in Mike Stott's own handwriting, is dated November 16, 1971.  Typically the BOM would be one of the last things finalized before going into production, so that is very close to the date the first kits were made -- maybe 2-3 weeks after that date. 

I also know that Mike Stott worked on these projects very fast, so my opinion would be that he most likely started drawing up the Akrobat design in spring or early summer of 1971.  Too late to be classic legal, even though the design is certainly not much different than the SIG CL-3 Chipmunk which came out in 1969 and is classic legal.

Mike Stott came to work at SIG right after winning Senior Stunt at the 1969 Nats (I think a kid named Dennis ? was the Junior winner that year!).  His first project was to improve the CL-3 Chipmunk, which he did (that's when it got the bright yellow box).  IN 1970 he worked on the R/C Ryan STA project, along with the Banshee and several 1/2A control line designs.

The Akrobat uses the same wing and moments as the CL-3 Chipmunk.  The design obviously is a 1960s era design, IMO.  Nothing new there.  Nobler/Chipmunk all the way.  This is why at the annual SIG Contest we refer to the Classic event as "SIG Classic" and allow the Akrobat and Twister to fly in the event even though they came out too late to make the normal cutoff date.  I don't see where they have any technological "advantage" over the older classic legal Chipmunk and Banshee.

If you want to pursue this further, Mike Stott's home email address is
mike.stott@chartermi.net

I'm sure he would enjoy hearing from any of you.

FYI -- the Akrobat was discontinued due to slow sales on March 24, 1992 -- over 15 years ago!

Mike G

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 11:57:30 AM »
Hmmm.

I just read a couple of posts in another forum that suggest that the RD-1, by Bob Hunt uses the same wing as the Twister. I, however have no idea if this is true or whether the RD-1 predates the Twister.

Robert

Hi Robert,

My oldest son, Aaron, and Robby Hunt have been good friends for years.  The Twister was around for a LONG time before the RD-1. ;D  Aaron's first contest plane was an RD-1.  The RD-1 came after Robby had been flying a "Hole Shot", and Bob designed the RD-1 to look similar to either his Crossfire or "the other one" (can't remember the name! LOL!! ).  The Prowler came next, which has a swept back LE, but otherwise is very similar to the RD-1.  Scott Smith had wanted to kit the RD-1 but Bob thought the design need to be dressed up a bit. ;D

I have always heard that the RD-1 airfoil is very close to the Twister.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 03:32:41 PM »
Bill, thanks for that. I honestly had no idea. I just happened across a thread asking about the RD-1 (their topic) and saw this mentioned. At first I did not think anything about which came first, or how much later.

As for Bob Hunt, his name is quite familiar to me regarding C/L. The RD-1 however I had no knowledge of. I am sure however that if Bob Hunt designed it, that it is a good performer.

When I saw that it was being compared to the Twister, I wondered if it may somehow be a part of this whole design scheme. Since it is not, I say, onward and forward with the investigation!

Robert

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2007, 04:09:01 PM »
MIKE G
THANK YOU for the update.  No that was not the news we hoping for, but it looks like "case closed".  Too bad, as this bird does fit the spirit (if not the rule) of Classic.

There has been some talk of returning to a rolling cut-off date (25 years?  35 years?) so that a few new designs will trickle in every year.  Birds like the Akrobat (& the Mike Gretz MUSTANG!) would be great additions to the Classic fleet! Personally I am fond of a 35 year cut-off (today that would be 1972) because it is almost in line with the current date.  If you figure a "generation" is 20 years, then a 35 year cutoff is almost 2 generations.   - that is old enough for the birds to look like they came from another time...

Besides, I still have a couple airplanes built 35 years ago that would then become "classic legal"!

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2007, 09:29:07 PM »
Hi Brother Dennis!

I would, personally, be more in favor of the 35 year rolling cutoff, too.  Maybe I will be the "Villain" and put in a proposal to PAMPA for a change! :o
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2007, 10:43:59 PM »
Hi Brother Dennis!

I would, personally, be more in favor of the 35 year rolling cutoff, too.  Maybe I will be the "Villain" and put in a proposal to PAMPA for a change! :o

I'll be your side kick.  VD~  I like 35 years because it is only a few years beyond the current cut-off.  Plus it starts letting us get into the "super 70's" you have mentioned before.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2007, 10:08:38 PM »
Hi Brother Dennis!

I'll be sidekick #2!

BRING BACK THE ROLLING CUTOFF DATE FOR CLASSIC STUNT!!!
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here