News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:30:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Road Runner  (Read 2885 times)

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Road Runner
« on: April 08, 2021, 12:42:22 PM »
Does anyone else remember the Road runner? By Bill Melton and Jim Young, it appeared as a full article in MAN, March 1967.  Story was that it had evolved without much change since 1959. (Hmm...Ares inspired? Somewhat resembles that one, but has a C-tube wing...)

Quite simple, straightforward structure. Pretty! Bill Melton was best known  to us for his Carrier models and performance, and best remembered around here for all the inspiration - and much of the work - for the Las Cruces, New Mexico club's contests, activities and field, etc.

I believe he also developed a drought-resistant variety of alfalfa, which was a great thing for New Mexico high ground farming!

Not much modern sounding technology in the article, but he claims it can (?could then, anyway ) come out between 42 an 47 oz with  (unmuffled) Fox 35 and a high points scoring finish. Describes the success of the model as consistent and strong. Good sensible description of how to tweak a model to best performance, and assurance that this model can be fine-tuned very successfully for any reasonable altitude above sea level.

Didn't see it in the Classics described so far. Wonder why... I have a copy made from the MAN aticle, and could scan and send it as .pdf if needed.

\BEST\LOU

Online Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Road Runner
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 04:14:47 PM »
Outerzone oz6619 . The article and plans are on line .

Brad

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 09:30:53 PM »
Pretty sure one of our club members "Mustang" Bill Barber had a profile version of the Rud Roaner. It's a pretty airplane. I think he found the trimming to be more critical because of the smaller-than-modern tail. It was fun to watch him fly it.

The Divot

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 11:43:02 AM »
Brad, Reply#1, OZ  may be the source of my copy. Thanks. Some of the wording isn't particularly clear but can be inferred. BTW, AMA has a plans pack for it.

When it was designed few, if any, considered adjustable leadouts or tip weight. These could help dial-in one built now. Back then, IF we saw a need, the  fix took a #11 X-ACTO and some covering and painting touchup.

Bill M used a shaft extension on the Fox 35. We'now know the Fox 35 didn't not like them. Most recent engines have: (A). a longer shaft bearings or (B) ball bearings. ...and are often heavier, plus muffler. Bill M's stated  model weight range may cover that. A way to adjust CG could be built in.  He didn't give a CG location in words or on the plans. He DID spell out ways to tune it  by observing  and correcting what it did in flight.

Ty said it was not very responsive because of the small tail. Bill M described the model's response as smooth and confidence inspiring - read not twitchy - but capable of optimizing. We did not look for violent corners then.

BTW, I presume that Classic's intent is to be for good representations of models from the era - not exact copies in terms of control systems, leadout location, hardware and a few other things as long as  external appearance is preserved. The question about a no-wheels Classic model could be dealt with by stipulating a zero score for takeoff and landing, no Pattern Points, but scoring the in-flight maneuvers. Given that, who would bother?

\BEST\LOU

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 01:55:59 PM »
Started one many years back. May even finish it up one day. First attempt at a foam wing.
G
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 09:00:24 PM »
     I built the profile Road Runner from a Blue Sky Models kit. Nice laser cut kit with good wood.
   But flying the model I found it difficult to turn.So I have added 4 oz of tail weight and moved the
pushrod up on the elevator control horn. Fly's better but still not the best.
                                                 Bill
AMA 325076

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 07:14:06 PM »

I seem to remember seeing several of these at the earlier VSC contests I went to in the 90's. They had a pretty heavy leading edge sweep I think, or am I confusing this with some other model? I remember hearing that it was a "local" design and that part of the story fits. I just don't remember seeing how any of them flew.
     Type at you later,
      Dan McEntee

AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 12:56:12 PM »
Ola Dan. It does not have any more LE sweep than say an Ares.  At every VSC I attended, I only saw two, one was the original.  None of them flew. It was allegedly designed in NM for  high altitude flying.  I often wonder if, in doing the kit, some tail feather measurements got discobobbolated, thus the tiny stab/elevator.  It just didn't look right. Other wise, a classic era look.... D>K

Yeah, I'm mixing it up with something else. What I had in my mind was something with a lot of leading edge sweep, Might have to dig out some photographs from past visits to VSC.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Chris Brainard

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 04:34:19 PM »
I love mine. Easily one of the best flying models I’ve got.
Chris

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2021, 07:53:49 AM »
 I was sent a set of hand drawn plans of the Roadrunner many years argo before the article came out. I wad asked to draw a set i I/Beam plans for it. I did and returned both plans. I got paid well for it. I do remember it being almost the same numbers as the Cobra. 
NOTE Cobra ,Usa/1,Juno all use the same airfoil
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline builditright

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • So happy to be alive!
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2021, 07:04:15 PM »
Hi Lou,
I took over making the Blue Sky Models kits from Tom N., so I will look to see if there's anything in his file folders.
Thank you and God Bless
Walter
aka/ builditright

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2021, 05:41:52 PM »
  My memory was wrong about how well my Road Runner flew. I flew my profile Road Runner last weekend after not flying it for months.
It fly's great , better than a lot of my planes. I forgot how I spent weeks trimming it to improve it's turn. Adding tail weight and moving the push
rod higher on the the elevator control horn made the difference.
                  Bill
AMA 325076

Offline Robertc

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2021, 03:29:00 PM »
Here are pics of Larry Cunningham's Roadrunner that he flew at the early Tucson VSCs.  Mark Bowan, who lived in Las Cruces along with Larry and Bill Melton, had a black Road Runner that won concours I think at the 1993 VSC.

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2021, 10:09:13 PM »
Here's another photo of Larry's model and the magazine plans. I also have a set of plans for an enlarged version that was flown in the SW by Gary Marchand and the Blue Sky Kit. I think Larry also sent me pictures of later "Road Runners" that differed a lot in appearance. I think these were designs by Melton alone, but I'm not sure; that's a while back. The very swept leading-edge model might have Been Aldrich's "Magnum."

SK
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 10:36:24 PM by Serge_Krauss »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here