News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:58:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Old kit Super Ringmaster  (Read 7689 times)

Offline Ty Marcucci

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Old kit Super Ringmaster
« on: September 26, 2018, 02:52:16 PM »
  OLD Sterling kit, Super Ringmaster, missing parts, now fabricated.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 03:27:09 PM by Ty Marcucci »
Ty Marcucci

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Ringy thingy
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 07:41:00 PM »
Kit was advertised as missing stuff.  So I had to make a TE, LE, main spar, cut three ribs, repair two ribs, replaced the sorry motor mounts, bent wire for the  landing gear, supply the "J" bolts, all of which was no problem and I have done this before on other kits. All part of building older kits.   Now to find some proper wheels, a bell crank ( I have dozens in a box) and see if I can replicate the box art.  So far I have an old McCoy .19 red head set aside as well and on OS .25 FP (which may be too  much power)  for this little thing. I have a few OS LA .20's in the "back room", could use one of those.  All this for a few flights, on one day, soon. Then, on the wall, like all the others. H^^ LL~
Bring it to BR

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 08:58:03 PM »
Hi Jamie.  I will if it is finished in time. So far things are progressing.   D>K
I need to dig in my closet. I bought a super ringmaster kit from a guy online forever ago.... what i recieved was a box with the "drawings/instructions". 2 different set of ribs. Fuse sides.. some formers.. and bunch of other random balsa. Need to take it out and see whats up with it

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 03:47:27 PM »
Well, this is a typical Sterling kit. Nothing lines up. Lots of cutting, trimming and sanding.  But wing  is installed, covered, doped and fillets in place. Sides of the turtle deck are in.  Now for the top,

stab/elevator, rudder, pants and wheels. Oh yes forgot, I have to paint the darn thing in time for Saturday Ring Master fly in..... It may just fly in clear. LL~ LL~ LL~
You have sunday as well :)

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 01:28:03 PM »
Lookin good!!

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
Re: Old kit Super Ringmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 01:55:59 PM »
Cock pit window gave me fits. I gave up. NOT important enough to worry about a plane used for a few round and round flights. LL~ LL~ LL~

Ty,

We always heat formed them around a bottle. Today a soda can would probably do just as good. A thinner piece of plastic would not hurt either.

Dennis

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 08:45:34 PM »
Ty,

I keep posting this picture of my Super not because it is the best one ever made but because it can with some rework be made to look better than it looks on the box. Granted this is a Pat king kit and the Sterling kit was really bad we still did get them together and flew them overweight that they were.I still had to cut the pattern for the windshield and make it fitfor Pats kit. The Sterling pattern needed some rework also.
I actually had been at the Sterling plant about 4 times as a teenager. Ed Manaulkin was a nice guy and even took the time to show me that making kits was not the route to becoming Jeff Bezos. Most businesses bought the wood they could afford and still make a living. It will still fly the old timer pattern.

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 05:43:18 AM »
Yes, very challenging to build. I had to make all new plywood parts but otherwise used all kit wood. 28oz with Fox .35. Will do a loose version of AMA pattern. Fun!  Sorry, no picture.  TS

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 12:53:03 PM »
I scratch built mine and substituted 1/64 ply for the wind screen.  Besides it is plane that brings back a lot of memories. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 02:20:40 PM »
Hi Dennis.  Very nice looking Super Ringmaster.  I have to admit that I was in a hurry to try to finish it in time for the Ringmaster Flyathon but got behind. Thus a sorry looking model. I do have a different kit of the Super Ringmaster, forget who put it out, but a much nicer kit. Will soon see.  D>K

Ty,

That was a few years ago. It was made by a person that used to work for Sterling models if my memory is still working. It was offered as a CL or an RC version. From what i heard and saw in the ads
they were nice kits. Probably slow sales killed them off.

Dennis

Online Gary Mondry

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2018, 10:36:19 AM »
AMA 10663

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2018, 07:09:57 PM »
Maybe not...

http://micro-scale.com/catalog/airplane-kits/
Has anyone built any of the Micro-Scale Super ringmasters.
 If so how were they when building. Pro /cons, wood quality
They look good.Like their color schemes.

Offline Kevin Muckleroy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2018, 08:03:15 PM »
Micro Scale will no longer be making the kit. A few are still available only thru e-bay
I have purchased 2 but have not even opened the boxs yet
https://www.ebay.com/itm/323581251548?ViewItem=&item=323581251548

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2018, 09:55:39 PM »
Thanks Kevin.

Online Gary Mondry

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2018, 10:45:51 PM »
Note that the wing of the MSM Super Ringmaster has a sheeted leading edge wing construction like the S-1A, not a formed leading edge like the original Sterling kit.
AMA 10663

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2018, 01:19:23 PM »
Simple, quick and poor paint job. 30.8 oz RTF.

Hi Ty,
That looks really good for a model but from a started old kit!  Nice job and pleased to see you didn't just pitch in the trash.  I built a bunch of them years ago and power then with McCoys and flew the heck out of them. 

Mikey

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2018, 08:39:50 PM »
    What size tank can you get in these things? At least 4 ounces with out too much cramming? I have at least one original kit, I think. If the air foil is still classic legal it would make a nice small Classic airplane to toss in the car. Even with a FP or LA.25 in it, you would need between 3 and 4 ounces for the full pattern unless the model was pretty light and you could choke the venturi down some.
   Type at you later and
   HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2018, 11:17:50 PM »
My Sterling Super  Ring Master has a 3 1/2 oz tank in it.  With an OS .25LA, I think it will do the AMA pattern in Classic. But as I have yet to fly the beast, who knows for sure?  D>K D>K

I think when you get ready for the first flights, be cautious and have the stop watch ready. My experience with the LA.25 on bigger models is that they use more fuel when you have to turn bigger props. 3 1/2 ounces will be borderline. A couple of locals were running them on Ringmasters with 3 ounce Hayes tanks, and they would barely get OTS pattern in. As the saying goes, your mileage may vary, given your area and altitude.
    Type at you later and
   HAPPY NEW YEAR BUDDY!!!
     Dan McEntee
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 04:23:51 PM by Ty Marcucci »
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Doug Burright

• Commander
  • Legacy, Brodak kit
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2019, 08:38:16 AM »
I'm building the MSM Super Ringmaster for a friend. Good balsa, good laser cutting- and then you have to sand off all of the freaking burned edges! Good parts fit, good hardware- wheels included- instructions are quite poor. The airplane's nose is odd-looking, for some reason. Another weird item is that the stabilizer and elevator are the same size. I was certain that Ringmasters had a larger elevator than it's stabilizer. Hmmm. Let's see if I am able to get a picture to stick. If not, it looks like a Super Ringmaster, without covering or color. Oh, McCoy. 35 for power.
I will build it. It's gonna be really difficult to find me with an ARF. I know every bit of my airplane!

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2019, 04:11:59 PM »
Nah, ....it wasn't supposed to be a caricature.

Hey fella, kania hand me another beer?

Divot McSlow

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2019, 12:41:50 PM »
Dan,
Whitely built a 4 oz tank for Dave Passannante's Super Ringmaster with the gas guzzling T&L McCoy .40. It is pretty close. At Tucson it's fine but at the coast it is about 4 laps at the end.
Chris...

What size tank can you get in these things? At least 4 ounces with out too much cramming? I have at least one original kit, I think. If the air foil is still classic legal it would make a nice small Classic airplane to toss in the car. Even with a FP or LA.25 in it, you would need between 3 and 4 ounces for the full pattern unless the model was pretty light and you could choke the venturi down some.
   Type at you later and
   HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
     Dan McEntee

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2019, 02:22:00 PM »
If you take a close look at the picture of my super you will see that it is powered with an LA-46. It was an exercise in masochistic torture to get the engine ,tank, and muffler married to the structure. There is no wiggle room to casually take out the motor. Figure a good 15 minutes to get to the bolts. Tank is 3.5 oz. With some venturi work and prop adjustments it will fly the pattern. Perhaps a whole lot better than you would believe it would be capable of doing. It is an interesting tank too. The best thing is that the engine is hardly working to fly the model. Prop is an 11/5.5
It now resides on a friends wall as he likes it too much to fly it. If I had known that he was a hoarder I'd have kept it.

Offline johnt4051

• Commander
    • Flying Lines
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2019, 12:13:42 PM »
I have a question about the Micro-Scale Models Super Ringmaster kit mentioned above.  Did your kit come with plans for the fuselage?  I am building one of these kits.  There were plans for the wing in the box, but not the fuselage.  I can probably figure it out without them but it would be nice if they were available.
John Thompson
Flying Lines

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2019, 07:59:38 AM »
I built a kit one of those.

I used a plywood firewall and an RC plastic engine mount.  This freed-up some tank space.

The plane wants to be nose-heavy, even with a K&B Greenhead.  And building it lighter just makes it worse.
Paul Smith

Offline johnt4051

• Commander
    • Flying Lines
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2019, 12:42:15 PM »
Many thanks for checking, Ty.
John Thompson
Flying Lines

Advertise Here
Tags: