News:

• May 12, 2024, 09:57:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Progress - Trophy Trainer  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Tim McTigue

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
  • MAAC 65703
    • Tim McTigue's Control Line Model Aviation
Progress - Trophy Trainer
« on: August 16, 2007, 02:33:19 PM »
First post on this forum  H^^, thought I'd do a very small show-and-tell about progress on building a Trophy Trainer from plans by Bob Kruger.  I started this project in early 2006, and it's been sitting on the shelf half-finished for maybe a year now, so I've recently begun working on it.  Just cut the hinge slots for the stab/ele today, next I'll see if I can get the wing cutout in the fuse the right size and shape to dry-fit the wing.  Just looked at the pictures Ty posted a while ago showing his TT's, mine won't measure up to that, but I'm expecting to bring in a new personal best.  I'm using pinned DuBro hinges for the first time.  So far I'm just working with my all-purpose #11 and a few other rudimentary implements  HB~> - I think next time I'll buy some proper hinge tools...

Offline Lee Thiel

• Commander
Re: Progress - Trophy Trainer
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »
Lookin good so far Tim.  Keep the progress pics coming.
Lee TGD
AMA791773CD

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 07:51:41 AM »
HI Tim,

Welcome aboard!  Glad to see you over here. y1

Looks like it is going to be a fine model, and I know they fly darn good!

What engine are you planning to use?

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Tim McTigue

• New Pilot
  • MAAC 65703
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 09:06:02 AM »
I have an OS LA 46 for it - my first time with an engine that big.  Biggest so far is an OS 35 FP I had on my Fancher Twister, modded for a 12-5 prop.  The Twister is now, I think, a wall queen, having had an untimely meeting with terra firma attempting an outside loop.  Not much damage, but when I put it back together, I found it seems to have a fatal flaw - way more down than up, and not sure I can fix that without major surgery, at which point it makes more sense to build another. 

Went out with my Smoothie this morning, conditions were perfect.  Got four nice flights in, but tore out the landing gear on the last landing, so now I know what I'll be doing this afternoon.  Nice clean tearout, fortunately - simple repair...

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 07:27:18 PM »

Tim,

Is the Trophy Trainer Classic Legal?

Thanks,
Kim Mortimore
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 08:07:33 PM »
Yes it is.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Chris Gilbert IRL-1638

• EI-1638
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 12:18:57 PM »
Looking good.

Mine was a nice smooth flying model - did my first full pattern with it and was quite happy with the way the airplane performed. Mine was probably a bit heavy, but it was a lot of fun to fly. I ended up using an Enya 45 PL (modern ringed 45) in mine and it flew the  model just fine.

Ran out of fuel on the second loop of the clover after 8 months of serious flying fun , now my trophy is in 1 and a half pieces. It'll fly again though.
IRL-1638

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 08:12:22 AM »
Hi Chris,

Get that TT back into the air!  It is a great design and really lives up to its name. y1
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Tim McTigue

• New Pilot
  • MAAC 65703
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 07:53:40 AM »
...It is a big model, but doesn't look it until you put it next to the proflie Cardinal.

I don't have the wing on yet, but it already looks big.  Biggest plane I've built so far - my previous biggest was the Fancher Twister.  This'll look enormous next to my Smoothie!  Same sort of experience as when I received my Colossus kit from Walter, and put the box next to my Umland Cobra kit...

Offline Chris Gilbert IRL-1638

• EI-1638
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 01:40:20 AM »
It's big enough alright. if I'd known exactly how big it was when I started I'd probably have put a 60 in it (or an ST51) and flown it on 70 ft lines. It's easily as big as my current 60 powered ship.

I settled on an Enya 45 in the end (started off with a 40), it flew with the 40 but needed the extra presuasion of the 45 to become a real trophy trainer (not that I've collected any silverware with it).

I'm sure that if it was a modern design it'd be recommended for 49/51/60 sized motors, just based on wing area alone.
IRL-1638

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here