News:

• May 08, 2024, 01:07:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: how do my balsa model plane built?  (Read 1571 times)

Offline luissmith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
    • Balsa Factory
how do my balsa model plane built?
« on: July 06, 2013, 11:03:45 PM »
 mw~ mw~ mw~I need to build a plane that can fly...I have to tie one wing to a string, and the string will be spun around using electricity. The plane needs to lift off in one revolution, and fly at an even level. It's a school project.

What I"m asking here is, what factors need to be considered when drawing blueprints for one? And how do I incorporate them in? Which materials are best?

Thanks very much! Any help would be appreciated.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
Re: how do my balsa model plane built?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 06:00:28 AM »
More information is needed. How big can the model be? how long is the string and how fast does it turn. It sounds like all you need is a large hand launch glider.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 10:28:02 AM »
When you say "the string will be spun around using electricity" do you mean the string itself will be spun on an arm or something, or do you mean that your airplane will be electric-powered?

"Blueprints" is a pretty strong word in this context, as a blueprint implies a completely thought-out design, where what you're building is going to be pretty experimental.  First you need a working design.  Then you need to draw it up.

Keep it light.  If you're going to be flying these indoors out of the wind, as light as possible is best.  You basically want an airplane that's really good at flying level or at a very slight climb, in a straight line, when you don't have the string on it.  Then you should weight the outboard wing tip (the one you're not tying the string to) with about the weight of the string (that's heavy for us, but you're not doing stunts), tie the string on, and cross your fingers.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 11:37:52 AM »
If it is to be electric powered, I suggest that you consider using "Dollar Store" foam board and hot glue for the construction. You can decorate the foam board with marking pens. Tricycle landing gear might also be a good bet -- then it would just taxi if it is too nose heavy and you can adjust the balance until it will take off and fly level.

Keep us informed as your project progresses!!
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 01:17:46 PM »
Sounds like whip action airplane. The electric drive is the center hub.  Need a lot more information.

Joe 

Joe Daly

Advertise Here

Advertise Here