News:

• April 25, 2024, 10:57:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Profile Classic Ships  (Read 2109 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Profile Classic Ships
« on: July 05, 2013, 01:57:35 PM »
Starting the build season down here in FL and trying to pick a project that can do double duty. Are the profile Noblers and Orientals classic legal? I think I have seen them used as they are dimensionally the same as the full fuse version but thought I'd check.

Best,       DennisT

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
Re: Profile Classic Ships
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 07:13:50 PM »
According to De Rice, the profile Oriental is Classic legal.  I don't know that the profile Nobler is.  Flite Streak is Classic Legal. 

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
Dee Rice confirmed that there were indeed Profile Orientals built during the '50's and '60's from the remains of damaged full fuselage versions. I've never seen that in writing about the Nobler (pre-1970), but I have seen profile versions of the Nobler flown...not sure if that was in Classic, however. Ditto for Strathmoor and Smoothie profiles...not Classic legal without some proof...but then again, there is nothing in the Classic rules that allows a DQ for 'modifications'.  It appears that we are expected to be honorable people, yet again.  H^^ Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 09:01:02 AM »
Doing some searches on this and other forums seems to show that IF the profile version is dimensionally correct (except for the width of the fuse) then it should be legal to fly. Changing the fuse from a full fuse to a slab profile will not improve the aerodynamics (or the engine run) of the ship so why not. This also allows ships to do double duty at contests that have profile and classic. I think if you have a very big deal contest you could always use the fidelity points. For local contests participation is more important. I don't think we need to "certify" or "prove" that someplace in the world someone built a profile version of XX-plane. Its only a hobby.

Best,        DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags: profile  ships 

Advertise Here