News:

• May 10, 2024, 07:23:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jack Sheeks Awards  (Read 2634 times)

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Jack Sheeks Awards
« on: July 10, 2007, 09:14:04 AM »
Everyone: Please help.

(See the Open Forum)

I have contacted the magazines about the Jack Sheeks Awards, starting VSC XX, and will try to contact many of the clubs.

Please spread the word.

Hopefully we will have many of Jack's Classics for 2008, but building will have to start soon.
AMA 7544

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Jack Sheeks Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 06:04:22 PM »
I talked to Frank Fanelli (Flying Models Editor) today.

Frank says that there are 43 Sheeks airplanes still available from the FM plans service.  Some of the early plans in the Classic era were lost when Hal Carstens took over ownership of the magazine. FM will be featuring some of the Sheeks Classic stunters in their plans ads between now and VSC XX

The list that I made for the FM Sheeks classic stunters appears to be accurate. I would still like to know if anyone finds anymore.

M/Yr Magazine Airplane Plan # Notes

8/63 FM Stuka Semi-scale I-Beam
2/64 FM La Donna I-Beam, Booms
6/64 FM Beech Staggerwing I-Beam, Bipe
8/64 FM F5F Skyrocket I-Beam, Twin Engine
6/65 FM* Sheik CF024 I-Beam, Gull Wing
10/65 FM Stuntliner I-Beam, Swept Wing
4/66 FM* Sea Vixen CF033 I-Beam,Swept wing, booms
8/66 FM* Demon CF049 I-Beam, Swept wing
1/67 FM* Swinger CF067 I-Beam, Swept wing
7/67 FM* Ryan SC CF087 I-Beam
1/68 FM* Focke-Wulf 190 CF106 I-Beam
5/68 FM* Freedom 45 CF121 "C"tube Swept Wing
9/68 FM* Spitfire CF134 I-Beam, Elliptical
1/69 FM* Torino S CF149 I-Beam,Swept wing, booms
2/69 FM* Scottsman CF153 "D"tube,Swept Wing
6/69 FM* Knight CF164 I-Beam, T-tail

4/70 FM* ME-109 CF185 Designed before 1970
7/70 FM* Stuka JU-87 CF212 Designed before 1970 Update of earlier Stuka

AMA 7544

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 09:06:02 PM »
Tom, I am pretty sure Jack also designed a P-51B that was published under a pseudoname.  It is very similar to the ME-109 FM planCF-185, and published *around* the same time.  I have the plans, i will just have to find them and then check with Jack.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 10:22:51 AM »
Bill,

I suggest that you talk to Jack. I had mentioned other airplanes, but he seemed reluctant to claim those not published under his name. I am sure their are others, and/or some that he helped with, that he might not want to out and out claim to be his.
AMA 7544

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 08:07:13 PM »
Hi Bill,
I checked the Flying Models plan list and I did not see a p-51 listed in the classic era but, the plans list only goes back to 1962. I did find Joe Berry's P-51B published in 08/70  and Jim Vornholt in 2/75.  Several builders have acknowledged Jack's very generous design help in their articles. Dennis Duvall
and his "Miss Dara" come to mind. However, like any scratch build the modeler has to work out the details for himself during construction which is also a part of the design process.

It is a tribute to Jack, when you consider all the gracious help he has provided to other modelers over the years but I guess, Jack would have to be the final authority on which designs he accepts credit for.
Bill,considering Jack's first published design was in 1963 and I could not find a classic era p-51B stunt model listed that could be attributed to Jack.
Maybe, you were thinking about Vornholts article in which he talked about Jacks help. Now if you are talking about a known but unpublished airplane I can't help you. Hey Bill, free research help just for you -"What a deal"!

I think honoring Jack is a great idea. Jack kept the "stunt-flame" alive for many guys with a steady transfusion of of new designs back in those pre-PAMPA years where R/C dominated the modeling press more and more.

Pat Robinson

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 09:07:46 AM »
Hi Pat,

The one i am thinking of is the "Joe Berry" design.  I have *heard* (though not confirmed by Jack) that plane was designed by Jack.  It has been bantered about so many times that jack would publish a plane under a "pen name", don't know if this is one of them or not.

I built his Me-109 (CF-185) that was actually published in '70 but is Classic Legal.  The P-51B is VERY similar and published at almost the same time. 
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 05:52:57 PM »
Tom:
Are the really old plans like the 8/63 Stuka, the Stuntliner, or the Skyrocket available from somewhere other than FM?  Those plans do not show up on FM's list...

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 12:59:30 AM »
Tom:
Are the really old plans like the 8/63 Stuka, the Stuntliner, or the Skyrocket available from somewhere other than FM?  Those plans do not show up on FM's list...

Hi Dennis,

PM me.........

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 10:00:51 AM »
Dennis,
Hopefully Bill will help you with those plans. Certainly there are prople on the forums that can help.
 I wouldn't mind having copies of those plans either.

Ty,
Jack will be the judge for the "Best Jack Sheeks Airplane".. so he would not be eligible.

He would be eligible for the "Highest Placing Sheeks Award", but he told me that he loves stunt, but has trouble getting dizzy with the overheads due to a medical condition, that is why he is flying scale.
AMA 7544

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 07:14:27 PM »
There should be one rule for the award. That is :Jack can't enter!   LL~ LL~

Reminds me of back in 58 or 59 or so when Ambroid had an award for anyone entering, and winning with an Ambroid kit. So who enters and wins=Billy Werewage. There is the famous photo of Art Laneu holding onto a $100.00 bill, and Billy holding onto the other end. The expressions on their faces days it all.  Full page ad no less. LL~ LL~ H^^

Now those are the days! $100 in 59 now that what I call a cash incentive!
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 10:25:48 PM »
I just received the Jack Sheeks plan that I will build. And it's pretty cool.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 11:44:20 PM »
I just received the Jack Sheeks plan that I will build. And it's pretty cool.

welllllllllll,,,,,, ??????????

I've recently finished the CAD plans for the original Torino. I'm now working on the upgrades to moderrn construction.

I hope to have the new plans ready soon, and also the parts files for the laser cutting.

John Miller
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 09:32:44 AM »
I beleive that Tom Dixon has the plans for most of Jack's planes.  That is where I got the Staggerwing plans from.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 09:56:43 PM »
Man, this is neat. I can't wait to see these ships next spring.

I'm still working on the plans for the Torino. Over on SSW, I posted a 3D view of the wing. Thought I'd post it over here as well.

John Miller

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 12:10:54 PM »
JOhn
The 3D CAD drawing looks great, but a 3 Dimensional REAL "TORINO' will look even better! Hope you get yours started very soon.
AMA 7544

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 04:03:33 PM »
Dennis   There were two different stuntliner's by Jack. A straight wing and a swept back wing version. I believe I have the plans for the Skyrocket. I have the article for the Stuntliner also. I believe Leonard N over at Stuka has the straight wing version.

EddyR
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Chris Edinger

• Commander
  • Hawker Hurricane
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2007, 07:54:48 PM »
Although i am new to this forum... i couldnt help but notice that the Hawker Hurricane stunter was not on the above list... Chris
Lee's Summit MO
AMA 896082

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2007, 05:42:25 AM »
I received my plans for the "Knight" from FM last week. Now I'm cutting ribs. The only thing TV commerscials are good for, cutting I beam ribs.

Here's some incentive for you, Ty.

This is Dave Reyes' Knight at the FCM contest in Muncie, 2005. The red scribble on the wingtip is Jack's autograph that Dave got at Brodak's. Dave loves Jack's designs and also has a Sheik.

Take care,

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2007, 01:16:34 PM »
Dennis   There were two different stuntliner's by Jack. A straight wing and a swept back wing version. I believe I have the plans for the Skyrocket. I have the article for the Stuntliner also. I believe Leonard N over at Stuka has the straight wing version.

EddyR

Hi Eddy,

I have Dennis covered on the Stuntliner.  I have the drawings that John Davis flew at the NATS. I understand that if he had not blown the landing, he would have won.  IIRC, he was fourth.  It varies only slightly from the magazine plans, but is the one John actually used.  I just have to copy Dennis the magazine article and get it all sent to him.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2007, 02:28:54 PM »
Ya know, I had my Jack Sheeks design all scoped out, but I didn't think I'd have time to build and finish it before my ride for the plane left, so I decided to just fix the Cobra and send that. Now that I know I have a ride for the plane closer to the contest, I sorta wish I would have gone ahead and built the Sheeksmobile. Oh well.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 01:04:33 AM »
I just got the December 2007 issue of Flying Models in the mail.

Look at page 10. Frank Fanelli has dedicated a 1/2 page to the Sheeks awards at VSC XX. It looks mostly like my words. Listed are the Sheeks Classic airplanes that are still available directly from Flying Models.

A big thanks to Frank Fanelli and the FM staff for supporting us control line types, and VSC!
AMA 7544

Offline Al Rabe

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2007, 08:14:54 PM »
Let's not forget Jack's AT-9 Jeep published in Flying Models August 1976.  The model hangs on the wall of my garage (for sale).  I also have the issue with plans.

Al

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2007, 03:16:08 PM »
Man, this is neat. I can't wait to see these ships next spring.

I'm still working on the plans for the Torino. Over on SSW, I posted a 3D view of the wing. Thought I'd post it over here as well.

John Miller

Hi John

The spar wood you used on this  wing is  BADDDD,  got some type of moss  or  fungus  growing on it  ?? LL~ LL~ #^ S?P

Randy    ~>

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2007, 06:15:20 PM »
Just a little "green slime"---nothin' to worry 'bout. VD~
Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2007, 04:36:27 PM »
Let's not forget Jack's AT-9 Jeep published in Flying Models August 1976.  The model hangs on the wall of my garage (for sale).  I also have the issue with plans.

Al

I want to know how much Al is asking for his garage. Mine is about full.  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2007, 04:58:58 PM »
Just a little "green slime"---nothin' to worry 'bout. VD~
Jim

Good grief. Don't you two read up on the latest and greatest for the hobby?

That green wood is plantation grown, Bio-engineered, Northern Balsa. These little known trees have been grown in secret for the last 17 years, in the upper Yukon river drainage. It's closely held location has been recently released since, due to the effects of global warming, it is no longer profitable to continue tree farming in the area. Sad too, because the wood, though greenish in color, never exceeds 6 lbs per cubic foot. This new wood might hav e been perfect for Randy and his Novi 1.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here