News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:45:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PhillySkip's Thunderbird 1  (Read 5020 times)

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
PhillySkip's Thunderbird 1
« on: March 28, 2017, 07:19:56 PM »
Here is my recently recovered and no more hunting Palmer Thunderbird 1. Monokote finish,OS 32,7mm venturi,tongue muffler,5oz uniflow using muffler pressure,Enya NVA.Weight is 48.5 oz. 63' .015 lines Reyco Handle. Fuel is my homebrew 5%Nitro 23% oil 50/50. Prop ia10.5x4.5 APC. Engine is run on a wet two cycle. Lap times are 5.2 She's flying great now.....PhillySkip

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
Re: PhillySkip's Thunderbird 1
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 05:35:38 AM »
Handsome ship..... Skip.  Hope to see it this season!   TS

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 10:59:43 AM »
Looks great.  May have to build another one as I had one years ago before I knew there was a stunt pattern.  A Veco kit before laser cutting was thought of. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 06:58:13 AM »
Thanks guys, I'm waiting for a decent day to get a base color coat on a redone Ares and some other stuff. I'm loving this stuff,,,can you tell??? Cheers,Skip

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 07:24:53 AM »
What did you have to do to stop hunting?
Looks great!
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 09:13:27 AM »
Nice plane.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 12:33:53 PM »
That's a very pretty and hip ship Skip.  Couldn't resist, sorry. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 03:09:10 PM »
A Mk. II T'brd. with upright motor? Nice.
Interested to hear what stopped the hunting.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 04:52:59 PM »
I think he said it was the first version of the Thunderbird which is what I had many, many years ago.  When I first started flying it, it would hunt a little until I got several flight on it.  I think the controls were too tight on mine.   But, what did I know back then other than I thought it was one beautiful design.   Did have Mr. Meriwether's Thunderbird II that was a completely different plane even thought you could see the Thunderbird lineage.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 10:22:21 PM »
I discovered that a "cross brace" running chord wise placed over the lead outs near the last inboard rib caused binding of the controls under tension. With the plane sitting on the ground you could operate the controls and they felt great,but once flying with tension on the lines she would hunt badly. It took me at least 50 trim flights to discover this.  I recovered her with the Monokote and and she lost almost 6oz in weight. The OS32 I'm flying her with does just fine. Not a typical stunt run, but more than enough power to do the pattern and look good doing it....PhillySkip

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 10:28:55 PM »
Here's another photo.....

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 11:26:39 AM »
Just for the record I removed the OS 32 and installed a Tower Hobbies ABC 40. She flies with more authority now especially on windy days.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 11:27:46 AM »
That should do the trick.  My first Thunderbird was built fro the original kit back in 1963 and was powered with Fox 35 Stunt.  Gene Dunham put it through the AMA pattern just to show me it would do it.   Tried to restore it a few years ago and it gave up the ghost as all the Ambroid joints had come apart as well as the silk covering.  I now have Marvin "Big Iron" Denny's kit that he built several planes from with all his notes and templates.   Need to make room in the shop to start on it.  But, I still need to finish the ones I have in finishing stage now.   But, flying season is here and I need to get out more.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2017, 03:09:08 PM »
Just for the record I removed the OS 32 and installed a Tower Hobbies ABC 40. She flies with more authority now especially on windy days.
I wonder about what percentage of that has to do with the (I assume) CG shift?
Are you (again, I assume) running a bigger prop also?

Good info to share as I have been thinking a lot about how much less or more thrust effects flight qualities.

Glad it's working good for you, regardless of the reason.

R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2017, 06:54:12 PM »
Chris I actually used the same prop for both engines. The prop is a 10.5x4.5 APC. With the OS32 I ran it on a wet 2 cycle at a very constant speed. The Tower Hobbies mill is set up for a 4 2 4 break. Having the engine break makes flying it more enjoyable for me. One thing I will mention is that the OS 32 engine is very powerful for it's size, probably has more HP than most plain bearing 40s we commonly use in stunt.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2017, 08:07:25 PM »
Skip,

WOW! You did a great job with that T-Bird.

Congratulations.

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2017, 08:16:24 PM »
Thanks,  for the info,  Skip. The reply is of great interest to me with my recent post about an engine for the Tom Dixon Stiletto kit i have.
Some suggested a more 2-2-2 style power plant,  but so  far i have only flown the 4-2-4 break style.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2017, 05:23:05 AM »
Thanks Charles.It took a lot of trial and error,but she's flying nicely now.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2017, 09:31:16 AM »
Thanks Charles.It took a lot of trial and error,but she's flying nicely now.

Skip,

Loosing that 6oz was magic. I gotta build lighter.

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2017, 01:33:39 PM »
Nice plane, Skip.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 08:39:05 PM »
A Mk. II T'brd. with upright motor? Nice.
Interested to hear what stopped the hunting.

Yes, I was also thinking that the wing is a Mk.II/'59/'60 blunter shape tips and not the more elliptical/pointy tips of the first Veco T-Bird. Puzzling. Regardless, good on PhillySkip for finding the problem and making it fly right.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 06:27:14 AM »
    Thanks Skip for posting. It looks great. A few of these have flown at DVIII contests and they were great fliers. We have raffled some off at our contests. I've always wanted to build that one. I like the dark fuse. and the bright wings-nice.
          Doug

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 03:07:43 PM »
It's funny,that plane has gone thru so many changes. For the record, that wing is not the correct TB#1 wing. The original builder admitted to warping the kit wing and scratch building a new one with  a constant chord (no taper towards the tip) If you look at the pics carefully you can pic that up. When I got it she was covered in Coverite and I put on about 5 coats of clear Brodak's dope to fuel proof it. Weight was 54 oz. The Fox 35 flew it in slo-motion. I then put an OS 32 in it which put out waaay more power than the Fox,but it still didn't feel right. At present it has a Tower Hobbies 40 and is Monokote covered. It's flying very nicely now. I fly it on 61' lines eye to eye.

Around the time I got this plane I also got a TBII by the same builder. Again Coverite /Clear Dope finish, La 40 engine. Just my opinion but the TBII was a better flyer than this one especially in the wind. Unfortunately no one told me that I needed more than 4 oz of fuel with this plane to complete the pattern and I ran out of gas directly overhead and creamed it! I'd build another one,one day,but not from a kit........Skip

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here