News:

• April 30, 2024, 07:03:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Palmer's Hurricane  (Read 2859 times)

Offline Alan Resinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Palmer's Hurricane
« on: October 25, 2011, 06:24:44 PM »
Over the years I've seen a few pictures of the Palmer Hurricane but examples have been few and far between.  Recently Mark Gerber supplied me with drawings of his copy of the design.  My question is if anyone else has any experience with the model and how it performs.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Palmer's Hurricane
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 09:35:47 PM »
Well, I built one from a Veco kit when I was in high school. Does that count?
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 02:20:02 PM »
Mick Castell built one over here in 2007 for our Woburn Palmer Anniversary event. He won the Palmer section of the event, and a few others since. I think he's happy with it.
I thought at first he'd got it wrong, there was a long straight section at the top of the fus. behind the cockpit which is not on the full size. Have now seen that that is how Palmer designed it. Pity, it could have been nearer scale with no detrimental effect on performance.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 03:37:17 PM »
This one?

You can't see it from the picture (Camera phone)... but the panel lines really set it off when you see it in the flesh.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 05:33:37 PM »
Bingo! That's it! Thank you John. Also shows off the straight (almost humpback) unhurricanish section behind the cockpit. And John is right about the panel lines and finish, these really set it off. I believe the colour scheme is authentic.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 05:58:42 AM »
Mick's model really is a superb example of the builders art. It also has a very interesting Non Palmer wing structure in that it uses foam ribs. Google the CLAPA web site and you will find a detailed explanation of the build. Go to "Articles" and then "Blue foam construction". The technique was developed by Bill Smith and Mick Castell, well worth a look! Also in the same series of "Articles" is Mick's description of how he does his panel lines. The end result is superb, makes me feel inadequate!

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 04:53:11 PM »
The straight back on the model is very Hurricanish. The straight portion of sheet metal behind the canopy is on every Hurricane. On the model, which is semi-scale, it is a bit caracature-like, but still a very obvious part of the Hawker Hurricane design.
Chris...

Offline don boka

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 08:54:42 AM »
Hi Chris, you are right about the short straight section behind the canopy. Any picture I have shows it to be a bit shorter in length than the sliding part of the canopy and the Veco version is considerably longer. I still have my Veco Hurricane and have flown it (again) recently. I have pictures of it when it was new and they are dated 1962! I did mine in the camo with light blue/gray bottom and put in a Johnson SS at the time which was adequate. Several years ago it got a Silver Fox 40 and really came to life. Of course at the time the kit "Wiggly flaps" were the big deal and they are in mine and do cause some strange motion here and there!! I understand they were not set up correctly in the kit. It is still a nice flyer for its era and great to see in the air. I also have Tony Cincotta's Hurricane kit still in the box waiting to be built. I built the Veco kit with kit wood and it is no lightweight so the new version with conventional flaps and good wood should be a nice flyer. I sometimes fly where a muffler is not necessary and it just seems to look and sound like a "Hurry box" should sound.

Don Boka.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 04:25:47 PM »
I recall seeing Bob Tucker (the one from the Yakima area) flying his Veco Hurricane at Sand Point NAS in the mid-'60's. It impressed me with a very recognizable corner, compared to the usual kit Noblers and Ares (which were of course overweight and underpowered. Bob used Veco engines and flew a lot of events...R/C now, I believe.

I have one of the Larry Richards kits...and it would be a nice combo with a Stalker .51, OBTW!  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 06:40:23 PM »
Steve,
Guess what I just got from Oleg.  I also just sent Larry Richards some cash for a couple of the remaining canopies he had.  I'd like to see the kit as I have some plans from Mark Gerber.  Larry didn't have any plans left.
Alan

Offline Jack Pitcher

• 23 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 08:25:19 PM »
Alan,

Mark Gerber and I fly together here in Fort Collins occasionally. Our field elevation is around 5000', higher of course with density altitude. Mark's Hurricane has an ST .46 installed and while I have not flown it I'd have to say it certainly looks like a happy airplane in the air.

Jack
Jack Pitcher
Vortex Stunt Team
AMA 65309

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 10:38:29 AM »
Hi Alan,
This brings back a bunch of “Old Memories”.   I built a Veco Hurrican and without a doubt, it was one of my favorite models.  That model wore out one Enya 35 stunt and two McCoy 40’s over its lifetime.  It was repaired many times from hard landings and a hitting a toolbox (knocked off the outboard wing).  It was at this time I opened up the old Hurrican and changed the control system to a single horn replacing the differential flap system.  After a complete refinish, it flew much better even though it was up to 47 ounces.  It was painted just like the box photo using the suggested paint colors on the plans (Cessna Gray, Stinson Green, Light Blue, and some Jet Black trim).
I hope you build one.
Mikey

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 03:00:27 PM »
Mikey - good to hear from you again. You must be one of the few people who've actually worn out one of those Enyas!
Ian Russell.

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 11:22:11 AM »
Gary Tultz has flown his Palmer "Hurricane" here in recent years and looked very good in the air with it. He said it flew very well and that he liked it. I believe it was damaged and then repaired, but I have not flown with Gary for some time and don't know the "Hurricane's" status. I always enjoyed watching him fly that plane - unafraid of the ground!

SK

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 12:36:39 PM »
Hi All,

Does the Palmer Hurricane have dihedral like the Skyscraper?

Thanks
Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 08:47:24 PM »
HI Bill,
Yes it does, or at least mine did.

Mikey

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 09:30:31 PM »
Alan,

You can't build it if you don't use the dihedral. Heck, Pat puts dihedral in every plane and they fly pretty well.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Mark_Gerber

Tech Bulletin
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2011, 06:51:20 AM »
On my Hurricane I have found a stress crack in the leading edge sheeting that developed on the underside of each wing at the corner of the landing gear block.  To fix it I stripped the finish around the crack, hot stuffed the crack,reinforced this area with carbon fiber veil and then refinished over it.  The repair worked fine but anyone building a new Hurricane from my plans should add some reinforcement to this area before sheeting.   I'm not sure if the Veco Hurricane kit or any of the others offered are subject to this problem.

This is still be best-flying airplane I've built to date.  This season I bought a 12 x 6 three bladed prop from Brian Eather.  It flies even better with this prop and looks more realisitic.

Mark Gerber

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here