News:

• May 09, 2024, 06:53:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Classic pattern 1952 - 57 ish?  (Read 2152 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Classic pattern 1952 - 57 ish?
« on: January 20, 2011, 12:28:17 PM »
Guys,
I was just reading an article by Wild Bill from 1957 "How to Fly STUNT", in the article he describes some maneuvers that seem like a cross between the OTS pattern (climb and dive) and the modern pattern with optional entry points (like entering the vertical 8 inverted at the intersection pt). Was there an "transitional pattern" that was officially flown? Could be fun to use it for Classic and then the modern for N30.

Best,         DennisT

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Classic pattern 1952 - 57 ish?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 05:23:35 PM »
The pattern I first learned was the 52-56 pattern. I remember reading in one of the magazines that showed the pattern and learning to fly it.

I seem to remember that there was either no triangle, or it could have been the hour glass. It seemed to favor the lazy style of eights. I don't recall the clover being part of it.

I'm sure that Kieth, in his archives, has a description of that pattern, as well as the correct dates for when it was first, and last flown.

I remember that the magazines, either American Modelor, Flying Models, or M.A.N. carried the annoincement, and pattern desriptions for the new pattern, before it was to be flown in competition.  H^^
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 07:36:51 PM »

A short time ago, well, it seems like a short time ago, I flew at the '53 Plymouth Internats. I think we did the climb, dive standard wingover, then three insides and went into inverted and then the three outsides and the rest pretty much like the OTS pattern today. I don't recall any inside/outside squares, triangles etc. Ended up 4th, Don Still cleaned my clock! He also did the same thing at the '49 Nats. Somebody must have the old rulebooks but not sure when the rules went into effect. Might make a good story for Stunt News. I think I have seen the '53 rulebook but those rules were not what was flown in Detroit. ???
Don
p.s. I flew a Go-Devil Jr. with an Orwick 29 Glow engine.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 12:34:37 AM »
I will try to shed some light on the question here which I think is what was the pattern during the period from around 1952 to 1957.

First, the pattern used in 1952 is taken from the 1952 rulebook  I am not sure what it was prior to that time.  That is the pattern that we use for OTS and the 1952 rulebook is available from various sources including Tim McTigues's website at

http://home.cogeco.ca/~ukeyman/otsmain.shtml

I have a poor copy of pages taken from an Air Trails issue from 1953 (month uncertain) that shows the "Official AMA Modelplane Rules".  This has a copyright in 1953 so I can only assume that these were the rules in affect in 1953 and for some time later.  Only the maneuvers for the CLPA event were listed  with descriptions and diagrams.

(Numbers in parentheses are the maximum and minimum scores for each maneuver)

Take-off  (5, 0)
Normal Level Flight  (5, 1)
Climb  (10, 2)
Dive  (10, 2)
Wingover  (10, 2)
Reverse Wingover  (20, 2)
Consecutive Inside Loops  -3 loops recovering to inerted flight  (20, 4)
Normal Inverted Flight  (20, 4)
Consecutive Outside Loops - 3 loops (20,4)
Square Cornered Loop - 1 loop  (20, 4)
Horizontal Eights -2 with vertical climb in the intersections  (40, 8)
Vertical Eights 2 and a bit confusing as to where the start and end of the meneuver and if a complete inside loop is flown first (40, 12)
Overhead Eights - 2 to be flown much as in the current rules  (40, 8)
Square Cornered Horizontal Eight - 1 with vertical climb in the intersections  (40, 8)
Landing  (10, 0)

There was an articale in the Jul 53 issue of Model Airplane News titled "The New Stunt Rules".

A sample score sheet is shown with apperarance points for Realism, Finish and Workmanship for a total of 84 points  compared to the maximum flight score (with 25 pattern points) of 340. The article mentions that "Tabulation of voting on the rules change ballot showed 78 percent favored retaining appearance points as part of the precision acrobatic score."

I have a copy of another article from Air Trails (or Air Trails Hobbies for Youn Men) that does not show a date.   The introductory paragraph states "Exciting news for control line modelers are the AMA's 1957-58 stunt regulations.  ...  All maneuver are scored on a basis of miximum 40 points, minimum 10 points unless otherwise listed. ..."   This goes on to show the maneuvers and descriptions of the current pattern that we have now.

What I do not have is anything to show if there was any different pattern between 1953 and 1957.

There was a 2-page spread in the April 54 issue of Air Trails Hobbies for Young Men that showed a number of manuevers that were considered for the New Your Mirror Model Flying Fair.  These suggestions were submitted to the Mirror Meet organizers by Hi Johnson, Don Still, Lloyd Curtis, Jim Saftic and George Aldrich.  Some of these were incorporated into the Mirror Meet (which the Tulsa Glue Dobbers have resurrected) plus some othere that were considered a "wee bit too complicated for competition flying - just yet."

The legend is that George Aldrich created the pattern as defined in that 1957 rulebook.  The triangles, the hourglass, the outside square loops and a form of the four leaf clover appear in this 1954 article.

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 06:54:36 AM »
Thanks, Keith.  I had been hoping to run across that bit of history for about 10 years.

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 08:34:49 AM »
Thanks Keith. The Air Trails 53 description seems to ring a bell with me, That's likely the first pattern I learned. I never flew in a contest until several years after the current pattern was in use, so I never saw the 53 pattern in action.

I knew you'd have something in your archives, thanks.  H^^
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 05:26:10 PM »
Chuck,
This is a plot to get the "they" who changed the rules in OTS to revise Classic to the classic pattern and fly the modern pattern in N30 LL~.

Best,             DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 08:34:25 AM »
Chuck,

This would solve the flap "bonus" problem and give us a reason to have the N30 event.

So - were are those rule change forms? VD~

Best,       DennisT

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 12:39:28 PM »
HI Dennis,

Interesting thought and reasoning!  It would add an element of FUN!  With all the troubles most of us have changing from the OTS pattern to the "Modern Pattern" for everything else, lets throw the "Classic Pattern" in there for "Classic Stunt"! LL~ LL~  I can see it now............... three patterns, and numerous screw ups! LL~ LL~ LL~

I wonder if I have any of those wrist bands left from my football coaching days..... the ones I had the plays on for the QBs to use! LOL!!

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 03:04:01 PM »
I flew stunt a lot from 1955-57 and I flew the odd pattern you are all talking about and I have it in my mind. Let's see it goes like thissssssssssss,can't seem to remember it. I do remember a wingover,a climb and dive, a reverse wingover, loops ,old style eights,two square loops, inverted flight maybe a square vertical eight. Not in the order I wrote them. Most contests that I went to flew what we call the old time pattern until 1956. Sometimes we flew the old time pattern with a reverse wingover in place of the single wingover.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Advertise Here
Tags: pattern 

Advertise Here