News:

• May 08, 2024, 08:29:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Shoe  (Read 6490 times)

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: New Shoe
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2008, 03:43:12 PM »
RANDY, didnt you just this morning make a post about needing to think in terms of simple attractive schemes (on my oriental thread) yeah thats what I thought!  I really wanted to go nuts on this one but its purpose in life is again to be disposable with little emotion,, so the killer paint will wait, the 109 is about ready to feel the soft caress of 400 grit in prep for paint. And while its not extravegant, its involved.
in all seriousness, I always look forward to your schemes Randy they are without fail, different and attractive, now if I could get you to use what you know and quit experimenting  HB~> n1 LL~ LL~
of course the theory is your planes last longer than mine, so,, I guess its justified right?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2008, 04:41:22 PM »
Yea, theory is just that. Yea, I'm vacillating between a really cool scheme I had an idea for and something very simple (and scale). It's a time factor, really. I'd like to have it done for the Regionals. Guess we'll see.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2008, 05:59:53 PM »
K.I.S.S.  !
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2008, 08:47:18 AM »
Dennis,

We'll see. If I have the time, I may go with something more interesting. But truth is, I may just go simple.

I did discover something that I will use in the future. I had shot primer on the plane, but I felt it was kinda thin. So I mixed up some more and shot a second coat. Interesting part is. The gray of the first coat was quite a bit darker than the gray of the second. Consequently, when I started sanding last night, I discovered that as the primer came off, the low spots were highlight with the lighter gray primer. Very easy to see. It's a pretty neat trick. It will allow me to go back and hit those spots again when I'm done sanding. They really stand out.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2008, 10:34:17 AM »
RP:
I remember that Bill's Shoestring what really set it off was the rivet work on top of a pretty simple color scheme.  The sure bet is that whatever you decide its going to look great.  Interesting note on the primer...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2008, 12:26:51 PM »
Hi Randy,

I know you have used that trick (different colors when sanding) before............ ;D

I am really looking forward to seeing this model when finished!

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2008, 04:00:01 PM »
Bill,

Well, I layed the primer on so thick that I will be awhile sanding. Took two hours last night just to get the flaps done. I feel like I'm sitting in a sandbox full of powdered filler already and I haven't even started the main airframe yet.

I've decided to go with a compromise on the paint scheme. I'm going to use the scale-like scheme with a few flourshes. I don't suppose a bit of checkerboard will hurt it.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2008, 06:22:32 PM »
John,

Nope, no hole in the tank, but man that engine can suck fuel. 7 1/8oz for a 46? Yikes!  I may go back to the .40 just on fuel economy.

A 46 what. OS, st orwhatever. HB~>

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2008, 07:19:09 AM »
A 46 what. OS, st orwhatever. HB~>

Hi Brother Leo,

Until Randy gets here, I will tell you what he told me: 

It's an OS 46VF, set up by Tom Lay, on pipe.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2008, 10:10:51 AM »
Bill,

Yea, that's it. I took it apart the other night and put in a slightly smaller venturi (from a .275 to a .270) and put a filter on ... and lost almost an ounce to get 6:30 flight. The first flight with the setup ran over 8 minutes! So I backed off to 6oz and got about 6:30 out of it. Hmm ... That is odd. But still seems to have plenty of power.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2008, 09:44:34 AM »
John, as long as it doesnt keep us from getting breakfast, in fact, let em all come, ,30 minutes after us so we can practice while they are eating!
as for the pathfinder, do like Pat must,, pump the wing full of helium, or maybe its just the lighter Boise air?
Mark, Mark, Mark,you know that boisw aire may be lighter but it iis also thinner which results in less lift. You know where the lifting hot air comes from.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2008, 10:20:50 AM »
Yeah Leo, I do, I sure do,, some old short guy who keeps talkin all the time, thats where the hot air comes from  LL~ LL~
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2008, 11:11:40 AM »
I think you asked for that one, Leo.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2008, 10:45:53 PM »
This .46VF is the one you were wondering about the funny bearing noise? And the fuel consumption is that high? I'd call PW and ask for his advise, but maybe the high fuel burn is from the bearing being bad? That's supposed to be a clue, but I really don't understand why bad bearings cause radically low MPG. Even new parts can be bad. ??? Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2008, 10:50:45 PM »
I think in some cases the bearings leak fuel forward maybe? not sure they could leak enough to create Randys fuel crisis though
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2008, 09:05:33 AM »
Steve,

The noise went away. The engine had sat for a long time in the box. Maybe 3 years before I pulled it out to try it at the end of last year. Then it sat again all winter. Could just be excess gunk in the low end. At any rate, it seems fine now. The bearing always felt free, it was just the noise. I noted that the slight change in venturi and a filter seems to have had a large change in fuel mileage. At any rate, we are flying tomorrow at the Narrows, weather permitting, and I'll get a chance to do some more experimentation. Sure like the power output.

BTW, the primer is almost sanded. One wing surface and the open bays on one other then I can clean up the foot of dust on the shop floor, wipe down and shoot a clear seal coat. Hope to shoot some base color tomorrow.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2008, 07:15:50 PM »
OK, it's ready for color. As soon as I get rotator cuff and Tommy John surgery to repair my arm from all the sanding, I'll shoot the base coat. Man, is my arm tired.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here