News:

• May 10, 2024, 12:22:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tom Warden Classic Legal?  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Tom Warden Classic Legal?
« on: February 13, 2009, 09:48:43 PM »
On the RSM site, it says that Tom Warden's Continental is classic legal. I thought it wasn't.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Tom Warden Classic Legal?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 12:02:34 AM »
Hi Ty,

"....... The Trophy Trainer is a profile version of the Continental and was used for ......"

Does this mean that the Continental wing does NOT have any taper? As in: all the ribs are the same, like the TT has?

The Continental shows a wing area of 572 and the TT shows a wing area of 617. Are they the same wing? Or is the Cont. just a clipped wing version of the TT?

I have the TT plans and would like to build a TT, but can't find a kit.

TIA  H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 12:04:58 PM »
Hi Ty,

Thanks for the help. I'll take your advice and contact Walter. He sent me the plans out right away, but I'm sure your right when you say he is booked up.

I'll bet he is very happy to see his son interested in moving CLPA into the future with his ARCs. That project, plus his kits must take up a lot of time, to say nothing of the time he must want to spend flying!  :)
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 12:21:05 PM »
I'm building a plane, for lack of not knowing any better, I'm calling "Tom's Special". It was designed in the '60's by a friend I flew with, you guessed it, named Tom. We flew in So Cal at the Whittier Narrows. Now some 40 years later I'm sitting here reading about Tom Warden, and that name somehow seems familiar, and that makes me wonder; could Tom Warden by chance be the same Tom? I know the chances are very very slim, but thought I'd throw this out there and see if anyone knew where Tom Warden flew back then.

Thanks,

Brian
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 12:59:49 PM »
After my last post I did some more reading, and have learned that Tom Warden did fly at Whittier Narrows in the '60's, along with Bill Noyes. That name I do remember as Bill was a very good flying buddy and, as I recall, President of the Barnstormers C/L club, and active in the Southern California Control Line Association (I believe both are now defunct).

I read that Tom has passed away, but can't find anthing else about Bill. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I flew with them quite regularly for years and would love to say "hi" to Bill, and am saddened that Tom is gone . . . I will build my "Tom's Special" with due reverance.

Thanks,

Brian
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 10:12:05 PM »
I also flew at Whittier Narrows in the late 60s and early 70s. I seem to remember both Tom And Bill (though I was just a kid). I remember Bill flying a red, yellow and blue, transparent finish plane called, I think, Atlantis. Cool plane and as I remember, a pretty nice guy (man, that was a long time ago).
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 01:53:20 PM »
    Bill Noyes was making kits in the 90's , one was a profile called the Challenger . A bunch of us that flew at the Sepulveda basin had them and learned the pattern with them . I  went thru 3 of them before I moved on to other models . Bill also made a short kit of the Charles Parrot   P-47 which is classic legal . Mike Ringrose had one and it was gorgeous and flew well .  In fact I am building one now from Bill's short kit.  Bill retired in the early nineties don't know where he is now.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 08:39:09 PM by Bill Barber »
AMA 325076

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here