News:

• May 12, 2024, 08:58:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Midwest Magician  (Read 1930 times)

larry borden

• Trade Count: (0)
Midwest Magician
« on: June 28, 2011, 05:12:50 PM »
I am building one of Pat Johnston's Magician kits and trying to locate the graphics for the Magician kit. Anyone got any ideas?+

larry borden

Re: Midwest Magician
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 02:32:36 PM »
Thanks Ty, will definately use these! I just finished putting down the white base coat. Plan on painting like a PT-19.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 07:46:30 PM by larry borden »

larry borden

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 09:06:37 AM »
Finally finished my Pat Johnston Magician. After two flights, decided my 50 year old McCoy couldn't cut it, so I switched to an almost new Red Head. The plane flew good, but still is gonna require a little nose weight.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 03:30:49 PM by larry borden »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 07:47:38 AM »
Sure looks great.    H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Joe Gilbert

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 08:05:55 PM »
IT turned out great Larry.
Joe Gilbert

larry borden

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 07:02:09 AM »
Thanks guys.

larry borden

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 03:32:37 PM »
I built this one with equal span wing panels and moved the stab back two inches. I have another of Pat's Magician kits that is the Midwest model.

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 10:22:15 PM »
Pretty ship! I luvvved my Magician. ;D  Alas it is no more, but it has to be my all time favorite flip and fly profile. They perform quite well with a Brodak 40 for power.

Offline DanielGelinas

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 06:32:07 PM »
Beautiful planes gentlemen!!
I LOVE the magician. #^

I just bought one of the brodak versions for my son, with a Walter U. version for myself.
Looking forward to building these two over the winter. ;D y1 S?P

-Dan

Offline Robert Redmon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 02:45:38 PM »
How many versions of the Magician have been produced? I have a laser cut semi kit (no plans) that I bought a while back that just isn't anything like the original Midwest kit plans I have. My first clue was that the ribs are cut to accept leading edge sheeting to the spar and top and bottom 1/4" sq. spars instead of the egg crate spar with cap spar of the original. I am now curious how the many variants of the Midwest Magician have been produced and how they are different. Maybe then I can figure out what I have.

Bob Redmon
Robert Redmon
AMA 58073

Offline Robert Redmon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 05:27:31 PM »
Okay, maybe someone will recognize the variant that I have. The airfoil is 1/16" thinner and the highpoint is farther aft than the Midwest version. The TE is 1/4" instead of 1/8". The cord is 1/4" longer than the original. The stab was moved aft over 4". The canopy/turtle deck profile is missing the "hump" in the Midwest version. The fuse is about 3/4" shorter overall than the Midwest version. Motor mounts are 1/2" sq. and extend all the way back to the wing. The front end is shorter by about 3/8" and most of this was taken from the top.

Anyone have any ideas? I am curious enough that I would like to find the plans upon which this was based. 

Bob Redmon
Robert Redmon
AMA 58073

Offline Robert Redmon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 07:12:04 AM »
Thanks, Ty. Was the Magician ever published in a magazine?

Bob
Robert Redmon
AMA 58073

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 08:09:36 AM »
NO H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 01:23:35 PM »
Guys; Bobs Magician is the only one I have seen with the leading edge sheeted back to the spar. The Original Magician put out by Brodak, has the half ribs added, but no sheeting. Where did this model come from? If this is indeed the Original Magician, then the Brodak is not right. I'm confused.
Jim Kraft

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 02:53:18 PM »
Ty, I to thought exactly what you are saying in your last post. That has been my assumption anyway. But if you go back to Bob's post number 13 he mentions that the leading edge is sheeted, among other changes. It seems that everytime a kit comes out of and old time or classic plane, the manufacturer takes liberties.
 I have compared many kits to the original plans, and there are so many changes that the kit is just a somewhat look alike, but actually a totally different plane. I can see why they do this to a certain extent, to make the kit easier to produce, but some of the changes I have seen just don't make any sense at all. One of the biggest changes the kit makers do is to replace the center spars to top and bottom spars. It is easier, and makes the wing stronger, but then it is not the same wing. Another thing is using 1/4" square for the leading edge, instead of the 3/8" or 1/2", and then sheeting the leading edge. I have also seen front ends lengthened to accommodate larger tanks, but on the same plane they made the fuselage narrower to where they won't allow the original engines to fit.
 I guess I am just picky, and that is the reason I build all of my planes off of the original plans. If I want an old time or classic plane, I want it to be what it was, not what someone thinks it should be. Sorry for the rant.
Jim Kraft

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 03:49:24 PM »
Larry as I have said before, it turned out great!  Very neat.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2011, 03:52:37 PM »
Ty, I to thought exactly what you are saying in your last post. That has been my assumption anyway. But if you go back to Bob's post number 13 he mentions that the leading edge is sheeted, among other changes. It seems that everytime a kit comes out of and old time or classic plane, the manufacturer takes liberties.
 I have compared many kits to the original plans, and there are so many changes that the kit is just a somewhat look alike, but actually a totally different plane. I can see why they do this to a certain extent, to make the kit easier to produce, but some of the changes I have seen just don't make any sense at all. One of the biggest changes the kit makers do is to replace the center spars to top and bottom spars. It is easier, and makes the wing stronger, but then it is not the same wing. Another thing is using 1/4" square for the leading edge, instead of the 3/8" or 1/2", and then sheeting the leading edge. I have also seen front ends lengthened to accommodate larger tanks, but on the same plane they made the fuselage narrower to where they won't allow the original engines to fit.
 I guess I am just picky, and that is the reason I build all of my planes off of the original plans. If I want an old time or classic plane, I want it to be what it was, not what someone thinks it should be. Sorry for the rant.

Hi Jim,

I totally agree with your opinion. y1  I checked out a "Classic Legal" kit of a plane I built off of the original Hobby Helpers plans a long time ago.  I still have the plans so it was a natural thing to compare the two.  Pretty close, but the airfoil was very different!  I stopped at that point and swapped the kit.......

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here