News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:19:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My Version of SIG Akromaster  (Read 2967 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
My Version of SIG Akromaster
« on: May 17, 2020, 07:33:54 PM »
I know it is not a NATS competition plane and probably not competitive in local comps.  But it is for fun with Cox .15 Olympic for power.  At least I hope it doesn't pull me over. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
Re: My Version of SIG Akromaster
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 10:44:53 AM »
Very nice, John! :)

I'm within a couple more coats of clear to start putting color on my Akromaster (stretched one inch).   The nose and leading edge will be maroon, gray trim on wing next to the maroon, and white the rest of the wing and fuselage and tail.

Mine will be quite portly.  I project a final weight of 19 oz. with an OS Max .15 (the one that looks like a miniature Max S .35), no muffler, and aluminum landing gear.  I've also got a new Enya .15 MK III to break in.  This one will probably be going to the grandsons as their trainer/first control line model.

Like all my ongoing projects, it is practice for getting my spray guns working, applying .5 oz. fiberglass with Z poxy, trying out .02 oz. carbon veil, etc.  I someday hope to build and finish a 17 point model.   Hopefully, a 17 pointer is within my abilities.  I'm quite sure I'll never build a 20 pointer. 

I'll try to post a picture of my Akromaster when it's done.  If it hadn't been so damp and humid this Spring it would have been done several weeks ago. :P

Joe Ed Pederson
Cuba, MO

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 11:20:24 AM »
I love my Akromasters. I've got two. My electric is my favorite and can do the whole pattern but not one one battery, or at least not with laps between each maneuver. Yours looks great.

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 02:09:24 PM »
I know it is not a NATS competition plane and probably not competitive in local comps.  But it is for fun with Cox .15 Olympic for power.  At least I hope it doesn't pull me over. D>K

Hey John............I like it.  It's gonna be fast.  It is good to know that us old guys are still building and planning to fly new planes.  I have one Sig Akromaster flying with a Fox .15x and I am also keeping two extra Akromaster kits on the shelf...........just in case.   D>K   H^^

Offline gene poremba

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 04:35:10 AM »

I learned the beginner pattern on mine.....Gene

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 02:08:52 PM »
Ready to test fly. D>K

Power is Cox Olympic .15.

John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2020, 07:24:15 PM »
Looking Good Doc!  Especially like the power.  I have a Sportsman 15, similar design but no ball bearings.  Think it is a single intake port sleeve too.  Hard to mount!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Christopher Root

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2022, 10:58:15 AM »
Love mine!  18 ounces overall weight,  McCoy .19 with 8x6 prop, 5 sec lap times on 52 foot lines, 2 ounce tank. 

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2022, 03:41:24 PM »
I'm so glad to see an Akro thread! I have one waiting to be built, but am having problems deciding a powerplant.

Care to comment?

Engine options include a Norvel Big Mig.074 (very light), a Norvel Big Mig .15, a Cox Medallion .09, Medallion .15 , and an OS LA-S .15.
I think the Norvel .15 will be the heaviest, followed closely by the OS. I'm leaning towards the Medallion .09, or the Medallion .15, and may actually space the bearers for the larger Medallion, and make up an aluminum yoke to carry the .09 and switch off as I care.

Whaddya think?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 06:39:46 PM by 944_Jim »

Offline Christopher Root

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2022, 04:09:59 PM »
OS .15 with muffler pressure to the fuel tank. Unstoppable!

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2022, 06:45:38 PM »
Mr. Root,
Did you build as kitted, or did you make any modifications? I know the wing trick (leading edges left as shipped, not clipped), and read that the OS will build nose-heavy.
Did you shorten the nose? Change the tank location? Lengthen the fuselage between the wing and tail?
Thanks much for any details!

Offline Christopher Root

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2022, 07:56:01 PM »
Akromaster was built exactly according to instructions , no flaps.  I would have moved the MCCOY .19 a little more forward to give more room for the fuel tank.  The .19 is slightly big, and a 2oz metal wedge tank barely fits in

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here