News:

• May 20, 2024, 10:30:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: More on Bob Palmer and his T-Bird  (Read 2815 times)

Offline Ty Marcucci

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
More on Bob Palmer and his T-Bird
« on: March 03, 2008, 05:04:14 PM »
Thnis is from the now defunct Aero Modeler, July 1959
Ty Marcucci

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
Re: More on Bob Palmer and his T-Bird
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 05:43:45 PM »
Hi Ty,

Alright, where is the next page! Nice article, thanks for sharing. 
Gary Anderson

Offline gary akers

• 23 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 11:08:36 AM »
Hi Gary, The rest is about differential flaps and even Bob admitted later they don't work all that well and I don't know of anyone lusing them today.  H^^ D>K

But, when I get back from VSC XX, I'll send the rest of the story to you via email, OK?
Hi Ty
Sounds like you're quite a thunderbird fan (like myself). Is there any chance that I could also get some of the same information emailed to me? I should be at VSC this year if everyone stays healthy. Any chance you might bring some of the listings or copies of the articles with you?
thanks
Gary Akers   #^

Online John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 11:55:08 AM »
If you yell out, "Hey Swabby", Ty will be the one who turns around. LL~
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 03:43:33 PM »
For those interested - Aeromodeller does continue after a fashion. It appears with its own front cover as a few pages in the centre of Aviation Modeller International, - "AMI". (Would that make it a centrefold?). Personally, having scored such a plum as Aeromodeller, despite having created my own magazine AMI, I would have either scrapped AMI or called the mag Aeromodeller and had AMI as a few centre pages!  y1
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 06:15:22 PM »
Hi Gary, The rest is about differential flaps and even Bob admitted later they don't work all that well and I don't know of anyone lusing them today.  H^^ D>K

But, when I get back from VSC XX, I'll send the rest of the story to you via email, OK?
Hi Ty,

I appreciate you taking the time to send that to me. Thank you very much, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 12:27:36 PM »
I intend to build the plane in the AMA Museum which was flown at the '60 World Championships.  In today's *20 point* world, it would have probably be a 12-14................  I seems to be more like the RSM kit than the Veco.

It also has built up flaps! (and a Veco 35, imagine that...... LL~ )
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 08:55:29 PM »
Actually I preferred it when girls came up and  said, "Hi sailor, new in town?" LL~
I asked Phil Gunderson this year ," who is that black dude" and since Mike haverly was standing ther he Said Thats Mike Haverly. How dumb can ya get? HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~>

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 04:48:00 PM »

Interesting fuel system diagram in the lower left corner.  I've always wondered why we don't try crankcase pressure and stop worrying about venturi diameter and fuel draw (at least for those wanting a steady speed run, and not a 4-2 break).  And what is the lipstick case for?  Some sort of reservoir arrangement?  Does the rest of the article mention the fuel system?

Kim "Yet Another Old Short Fat Guy" Mortimore   <=
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 09:30:03 PM »
T-Birds are cool - the bigger the better!  46 sized T-Bird (under) powered by an OS SF-46.  From Tom Dixon plans  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 03:19:42 PM »
[quote author=Kim Mortimore   And what is the lipstick case for?  Some sort of reservoir arrangement?  Does the rest of the article mention the fuel system? Kim "Yet Another Old Short Fat Guy" Mortimore   <= [/quote]

Hi Kim. Sticking my neck out - I think the lipstick case is intended to be a "balancing" apparatus to eliminate variations in fuel flow. Another of those theories based on false physical principles, like bellcrank position is what affects line tension (instead of leadout position) and highest pressure in the venturi occurs at the narrowest point, (instead of lowest pressure).
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 09:24:45 PM »

Hi Ian,
Thanks for sticking your neck out.  I suspect your head is not likely to get chopped off on this friendly board!   LL~ .   So either Palmer mastered the use of the false physical principle lipstick case, or gave it up after a while.  I wonder if there are any expert Palmer historians out there who would know the answer, and the same regarding his use of crankcase pressure.

It looks like I may be guilty of believing a false physical principle myself (or more likely many such!).  If the lowest pressure in a venturi isn't at the narrowest point, where is it?

Thanks,
Kim
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 01:12:19 PM »
Quote from: Kim Mortimore  If the lowest pressure in a venturi isn't at the narrowest point, where is it? Thanks, Kim [/quote

Kim - sorry if my post was misleading. The myth is that highest pressure is at the narrowest point. I have seen this quoted by at least one acknowledged and respected expert. The truth is as you say, lowest at narrowest. If pressure was high at narrow point, why doesn't fuel flow back into the tank?
Cheers.  ???
Ian Russell.

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 01:40:49 PM »
Hi Ian:

Speaking of Mr Palmer and T-birds, how is the restoration of the 1957 round-cowl model coming?

I was out flying the take-apart Smoothie today, the red and white one you will remember. OTS contest next weekend at Woodland near Sacramento. What a great design!

My own theory of the lipstick case is that it serves as a  bubble eliminator to prevent problems caused by tank foaming. Did not seem to catch on as a standard practice however. I know Mr Palmer was a bug about tank baffles and the like to produce a steady fuel supply.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 01:27:17 PM »
Back in the early '50s, our group used crankcase pressure on our K&B Torp 29s.  The rear crank cover had a tapped boss for the FF fuel tank.  We drilled that out, inserted a threaded brass needle valve body in it.  But first, filled the brass with solder and then drilled a #80 hole.

C'case pressure solved the problem the Torp had because the venturi was too large, causing poor fuel draw.  Would have been better to put a restrictor in the venturi.

The Veco motors of the day were built almost like the Torps, with too much venturi. 

Maybe we got the c'case pressure idea from Palmer, or visa versa? 

Floyd
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 08:42:15 PM »
T Birds over the years have been the platform for many many beautiful modifications.
The late Tim Dunlop of Portland Oregon loved T Birds...and flew them for most of his all too short life here on this earth.
I think of him every time I see a beautiful T bird....thanks for posting these T Bird photos.
Tim was such an amazingly gifted human being that made this Earth and Delta Park a better place.
Don Shultz

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 05:00:55 PM »
I've posted this one before, but this seems like an appropriate place.  RSM kit modified to Palmer's upright engine version.  OS 35-S

Floyd
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here