News:

• May 26, 2024, 07:27:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mike Stott's 1969 Senior's Winning VanLoo Chipmunk scan for today  (Read 1736 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
 Another look back in time for these slides scans.
Mike Stott's happiness shown on his face is only mirrored in the faces of his mentor Jim VanLoo, as well as his peers standing nearby.  Dawn Cosmillio and Rob Howard taking the other top spots of the day.

Don Shultz

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
Re: Mike Stott's 1969 Senior's Winning VanLoo Chipmunk scan for today
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 12:50:09 PM »
Good scans Donny. Now if you could scan slide of 1965 Rebel at Albany and post on my Rebel post that would be great and besides it will give you somethin to do. Can't fly today. We got snow? HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~>

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 04:45:01 PM »
GREAT stuff Donaldo!

I always thought that THIS was the best of the Chips - right fin, right cowl, right colors.  Of course Mike did a nice job building, finishing & flying!

BTW check out the 2nd name (miss-spelled) on the the scoreboard - someone near and dear to me.  He was flying a Chief that year, and really flew it well...!

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 05:33:36 PM »
Good scans Donny. Now if you could scan slide of 1965 Rebel at Albany and post on my Rebel post that would be great and besides it will give you somethin to do. Can't fly today. We got snow? HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~>
Good idea....let me dig those up and post them on your forum thread.
Don Shultz

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 07:54:52 AM »
BTW check out the 2nd name (miss-spelled) on the the scoreboard - someone near and dear to me.  He was flying a Chief that year, and really flew it well...!

Dennis,

That would be this guy .. brother Dave?  These pics from the Arnold Stott collection, which Mike was kind enough to let me scan a few years back.

Last pic is Mike in front of the Walker Cup board.  "A. Adamisin" should actually have been "D. Adamisin" (for Dennis) should it?

Mike G

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 08:00:01 AM »
more '69 NATS pics from Arnold Stott collection.

2nd place Rob Howard and Pegasus

3rd place Dawn Cosmillo

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 08:01:03 AM »
Open Winners 1969 NATS - Arnold Stott picture collection.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 02:16:03 PM »
Here is a shot of the NERD-DE-WELLS score sheets SOME OF THOSE ALSO who didn't make the finals....
Circle one and circle two....
Old Shultzie was livin' soooooo high after my first morning qualifin' flight...however the scores in the # 2 circle were ballooning in the afternoon. My StingRay blew a plug----on the second flight and had to whip and dead stick it around and ALSO HIT AL RABE IN THE BUTT! Thus proving quite true that "ONE IS TRULY ONLY AS GOOD AS THEIR LAST GLOW PLUG!"

However RABE GOT EVEN with all of us...by giving our Bob Lappitttyoooooeeeeeeman a run for his money in the finals...

GOTTA SAY!!!
The scores sheet was constantly changed and updated time after time.. n~
I sent Bob the rest of my slides that showed his winning performance...and what a great shot showing Bob's fellow competitors lifting him high on their shoulders..
He truly deserved that big win...with that awesome Red white n' blue jet machine of his.

He also has a close up shot that I sent to him of the black board final score chalk board.
maybe I can still find those photos on this S H stuntgrunt of the day thang for those folks whos memory cells are about as bad as mine? LL~ n~ n~
naw..couldn't find those score board photos after trying for quite some time.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 03:44:05 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 03:41:32 PM »
Dennis,

That would be this guy .. brother Dave?  These pics from the Arnold Stott collection, which Mike was kind enough to let me scan a few years back.

Last pic is Mike in front of the Walker Cup board.  "A. Adamisin" should actually have been "D. Adamisin" (for Dennis) should it?

Mike G
GREAT PIX MIKE!

Yep, that would be my brother Dave.  That Chief was great: Stock wing except for reversed tips.  Lengthened fuse, light straight and a great OS 35.  Durned silkspan kept splitting all over though...

Also the A was supposed to be a D on the scoreboard.  We did the Walker Fly-off in the rain.  Later that day "Champione" and I were invited to fly in the end of NATs airshow. (Mike was also invited but I think they had to hit the road).  We flew in side by side circles at the same time, and were apparently completely together on our manuvers.  Then our engines quit at the same time and we landed together.  Looked like we PRACTICED it!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 06:42:56 PM »
Hook up Grace Paris with those pics of Dawn Cosmillo asap!!
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 09:10:08 PM »
Yep, that would be my brother Dave.  That Chief was great: Stock wing except for reversed tips.  Lengthened fuse, light straight and a great OS 35.  Durned silkspan kept splitting all over though...

Also the A was supposed to be a D on the scoreboard.  We did the Walker Fly-off in the rain.  Later that day "Champione" and I were invited to fly in the end of NATs airshow. (Mike was also invited but I think they had to hit the road).  We flew in side by side circles at the same time, and were apparently completely together on our manuvers.  Then our engines quit at the same time and we landed together.  Looked like we PRACTICED it!

Dennis,

Great story about Bob and you flying synchronized patterns in the NATS AIRSHOW. 

And OH YEA! .. the NATS AIRSHOW .. another great part of the old NATS that has been lost.  Still a good idea, even if the audience would only be a few dozen Muncie-ites.  Think if the NATS was still rotated around to larger cities, where an end-of-event Airshow of Champions could draw a really nice crowd .. and no doubt spark a few new people to take up the hobby.  But of course you'd have to run the entire NATS on one site in one week, as before.  I know, I know, there probably were true logistical problems to the old scenario that caused the big changes in the old NATS.  But no doubt the entire hobby lost a lot because of it.

Hey, you can't really get too upset with the scorekeepers for getting your initial wrong on the scoreboard .. there were just so many Adamisins flying stunt that year!  So was '69 one of your family high water marks flying in the NATS stunt events?  How many flew in '69? .. Big Art, Archie?, David, yourself, Alan?  Wow!  I wonder if you all realize what a real inspiration the Adamisin family has been to a lot of people in this hobby .. and still is.

Mike

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 10:14:38 AM »
Thanks for the "family" commentary.  Yeah, there were enough of us out there that it was tuff sorting us out.  Arch was in the Army, and Alan had not started flyoing stunt - for another year I think.

THe synchronized patterns were accidental - it just seemed to work out that way.  THe airshow was cool though...!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 08:38:28 PM »
Ty,

Thanks for the insight on how the U.S. Navy got started sponsoring the NATS.  I'd never heard that.  My hats off to Admiral Nimitz.  A real American hero.

Mike 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here