News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:44:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mike's JD Falcon  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Mike's JD Falcon
« on: November 22, 2006, 12:44:56 AM »
This picture got lost in other threads. It is so beautiful that I had to show it here... The "JD Falcon" belongs to Mike Haverly.
AMA 7544

Offline Jim Treace

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • 1979 600 Aerostar N79JT
Re: Mike's JD Falcon
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 07:13:27 AM »
Tom:
Do you know what finishing materials he used? And final total weight? Still working on my Falcon.
Jim

PS: any word on the fuselage jig?
Jim Treace
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL &
Paris, TN
AMA 855251 "Too soon we grow old...Too late we grow wise"

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 09:38:48 AM »
Finish is dope over polyspan. The colors are Brodak and Sig, Clear coat is PPG 2 part.
AMA 7544

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 07:54:13 PM »
Last I talked to Mike, I asked for more details on the finish. The covering on the wing is stuff like Polyspan, but came from the yardgoods/fabric store. Take a micrometer, as there will be several different weights, and you'll want the lightest. If you can borrow or have a sample of the real Polyspan, take that, too.

The Orange is Brodak Cessna Orange. The main color is Brodak Diana Cream. The blue is SIG Dark Blue. The silver stars are Duplicolor spray can from the auto parts store, and the inside of the clear canopy is painted with metallic charcoal Duplicolor. He had some trouble with the PPG clearcoat. Overspray from one panel, onto the adjacent areas. I reckon a piece of cardboard for a hand-held shield would help a lot, to cut down the wetsanding required.  n~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 08:56:45 AM »
I forgot about Mike mentioning the Duplicolor.

We are learning some more about compatabiity of some products. I have always been very cautious about mixing paints, but this certainly adds more product flexability to remember!

Again, Mike did a fantastic job on this airplane.
AMA 7544

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here