News:

• May 26, 2024, 06:59:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sheek's Stuka JU-87  (Read 2734 times)

Offline t michael jennings

• AMA 83322
  • 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Sheek's Stuka JU-87
« on: July 30, 2011, 05:44:50 PM »
Gentlemen,

Just picked up a Flying Model Aug/Sep 1963 issue which has Jack Sheek's Stuka JU-87.

The article states the Wing Span is 57.0 inches.

The article does not indicate the Wing Area.  What is the Stuka's Wing Area?

Thanks for the info.

T Michael Jennings                 DK^
Knoxville, TN.

Offline t michael jennings

• AMA 83322
  • 2016 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Sheek's Stuka JU-87
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 07:12:39 PM »
Ty,

Thanks for the helping hand.

T Michael Jennings

Offline George Waters

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 07:36:58 PM »
If you look back on the ibeamers title here you can find a picture of my ju87. It is built from fm plans. I modified it by using lucky boxes on the flaps instead of two horns as shown on the plans, weight box and adj. leadouts. I also made the wings equal span 59" I believe it is.I guesstimated the area at about 600.  George

Offline Rick Henry

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 10:35:17 PM »
I remember seeing a pic of Jack with one done in a desert camo finish a few years ago.  I think it was a VSC pic and the plane looked really cool.

Rick

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 01:19:47 PM »
If I recall, the 1963 Stuka was the one with the skinny aft end... the first one published.

I recall Jack had a larger, more scale looking Stuka at a VSC a few years ago. That one was designed in 1969 or 1970, probably 1969. Much bigger, and as I recall a pale grey or sand "desert camo" finish.

Jack released a whole bunch of designs in that era; didn't seem like an issue of Flying Models was complete unless he had one in it...
\BEST\LOU

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 01:47:59 PM »
Yep, Jack published two Ju 87s in FM.  I have never seen either one built, though!  Seems it might have been his second most favorite airplane besides the ME 109....

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 04:30:50 PM »
Yep, Jack published two Ju 87s in FM.  I have never seen either one built, though!  Seems it might have been his second most favorite airplane besides the ME 109....

Big Bear

If you read George Waters's post his Stuka is posted on this site. Not sure what version, second or modified first ver., but it's awesome looking.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 08:28:19 PM »
That is a super looking model! 

I meant I had never seen one "in person". ;D

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Holler

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 05:23:50 PM »
I have the articles and plans for jack's second Stuka and his FW 190.  I really, really like both and they are on my short list of stuff to build.  y1 I need to sit down and talk with him about them at an upcoming club meeting.  I think he calls for an ST .46 at least for the later Stuka plan, are there better modern engine choices for it now? H^^
I've started plenty...would be nice to finish something!!!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 09:45:28 PM »
I have the articles and plans for jack's second Stuka and his FW 190.  I really, really like both and they are on my short list of stuff to build.  y1 I need to sit down and talk with him about them at an upcoming club meeting.  I think he calls for an ST .46 at least for the later Stuka plan, are there better modern engine choices for it now? H^^

HI Dennis,

There probably are some more user friendly engines out there today.  Probably an OS .46LA would power the Stuka, it seems they can fly about as much plane as the ST.

I have a canopy for the FW 190 and will have them available as soon as some of this cancer treatment stuff is over and I get the feel of vacuforming.  It looks a good bit more scale than the one on the plans.  I measured it against the plans and I'm sure it will fit.

The major hurdle for me on the FW-190 is the cowl...... I was thinking of turning a plug on a wood lathe and then making it from Fiberglass.  Of course, a wood one can be made from the plans, but the Fiberglass one would probably be easier. ;D

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Holler

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 09:17:40 AM »
Bill, Let me know when you get that canopy done, I'll take you up on it! y1  I'll probably try the 190 first, never done an I beamer. 

Guess, let me know if anyone has any Stuka questions, I can ask Jack in a couple of weeks, or he answers email as well.

I was thinking an LA46 might be a reasonable cost effective choice.  St46's are pricey!!  I have an ST40 that I'd probably put on the 190 though  #^

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 10:53:48 AM »
Bill, Let me know when you get that canopy done, I'll take you up on it! y1  I'll probably try the 190 first, never done an I beamer. 

Guess, let me know if anyone has any Stuka questions, I can ask Jack in a couple of weeks, or he answers email as well.

I was thinking an LA46 might be a reasonable cost effective choice.  St46's are pricey!!  I have an ST40 that I'd probably put on the 190 though  #^

HI Dennis,

It shouldn't be too long now before I am making canopies.  I will let you know ASAP. 

As to I-Beamers, you will find that they are quick and easy to build.  The hardest part is cutting all the ribs! LOL!!  There is even a picture of how to jig the fuselage/wing on the corner of the FW 190 plans.  I use three uprights on the LE and TE to keep them straight while building.  I make them out of 1/4" scrap, tack them to the glass table and them pin them on a C/L to the TE and LE.

Jim Lynch had (still has??) a beautiful Sheek's 190 that he flew at the NATS, IIRC, using an OS .35S.  It is not a big model and can be built pretty light.  The ST .40 should be plenty, of course many would probably say use the LA .46, but getting the right prop clearance might be "iffy".

I would use the .46LA if a ST .46 is shown on the plans.  With the run characteristics of the LA I think it would power the bigger Stuka with no problems.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Holler

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 05:04:56 PM »
Oh Yea, I LOVE Jim's 190, that red bottom side with the white stripes is very cool.  I'm just a waitin on a canopy  LL~ LL~ S?P

has anyone ever done a twin  engined I beamer....like say an ME-110

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 10:50:57 PM »
Oh Yea, I LOVE Jim's 190, that red bottom side with the white stripes is very cool.  I'm just a waitin on a canopy  LL~ LL~ S?P

has anyone ever done a twin  engined I beamer....like say an ME-110

Hi Dennis,

Jack designed an I-Beam F-5-F Skyrocket published in Flying Models.  It used two Fox .35 and is a good size airplane.  it is one I really want to build, just need to get others finished and take the time to do it!

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Holler

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 09:40:28 PM »
Bill, Your gonna laugh at me  y1  I just spent an hour sketching out an I beam ME 110 using Jack's Stuka plans as a basis.  I figured they both have similar spans and tapers, so I altered the taper to look more like the ME 110 (swept the LE back more) and used the same proportions and airfoil (and of course straightened the wing).  Should have about the same area cause its also 59" at this point.  Then moved the canopy forward a couple of inches, rounded off the nose and added those sweet oval rudders.  It actually looks reasonably well proportioned.  I have an IDEA about how I would mount the engines.  Maybe I'll darken the sketches up so they will show in a picture just for fun.  I Guess I would have some serious questions about where the CG  and leadouts should be.  Maybe I can give Jack a good laugh at our club meeting next week. LL~ LL~ LL~

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 11:19:30 PM »
Bill, Your gonna laugh at me  y1  I just spent an hour sketching out an I beam ME 110 using Jack's Stuka plans as a basis.  I figured they both have similar spans and tapers, so I altered the taper to look more like the ME 110 (swept the LE back more) and used the same proportions and airfoil (and of course straightened the wing).  Should have about the same area cause its also 59" at this point.  Then moved the canopy forward a couple of inches, rounded off the nose and added those sweet oval rudders.  It actually looks reasonably well proportioned.  I have an IDEA about how I would mount the engines.  Maybe I'll darken the sketches up so they will show in a picture just for fun.  I Guess I would have some serious questions about where the CG  and leadouts should be.  Maybe I can give Jack a good laugh at our club meeting next week. LL~ LL~ LL~

HI Dennis,

Nope not laughing at you! ;D  The ME 110 looks like a viable subject!  I would look at sheeting the center section with 1/16th" like Jack did the F-5-F.  Might want to look at a "little" bit more engine than a pair of .25s.  Or not.  Depends on the weight.  If kept light then modern .25s would probably do the job. 

I'm sure Jack will have plenty of suggestions! y1 ;D
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here