News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:05:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: midwest classic leagal  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Fred Quedenfeld jr

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
midwest classic leagal
« on: May 27, 2019, 05:55:31 AM »
Are the Midwest  p-40, Mustang and Cobra Classic legal???
Where is an Unofficial list?
Fred Q

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
Re: midwest classic leagal
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 08:54:04 PM »
I flew my King Cobra in Classic for 3 years so it is accepted. The Messerscmitt and Mustang are too. I never knew about the Skyraider and P-40, the other three were either known to be designed or published before 1970.
Chris...

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 09:51:23 PM »
The Flying Models construction article is 1969.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 07:03:28 PM »
Did you read the article, I thought all three, Mustang and Messerschmitt too were designed at the same time all based on wing, fuse and moments. Plans just showed the King Cobra.
No?
Chris...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 07:41:20 PM by Chris McMillin »

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 11:28:39 PM »
  Permission to jump into the fray here, sir??!! I just read the article and no mention of the other designs. Micchia had one more in the pipe line, a Kawasaki Tony, that I think was published in time and I think I have the plan for. It may have been in Model Airplane News and is probably the better designed and has the most potential of the four. I'll have to see if it's listed in the Tom Morris book........................................................ Just checked the Morris book and the ME-109 and the Cobra are listed with the 109 in the June 69 issue. They look to share the same wing. If I was a CD, and some whiney snot came to me and protested the P-40, Skyraider and Mustang, I might have to agree with them. I know the P-40 has a constant chord wing. Looking at the plan in the magazine, I think that airfoil is a bit thicker than the kit presentation, but they still didn't get the vertical fin/rudder shape correct on the P-63. The ME-109 looks pretty decent also. And a standout feature of both, is that they both show FIXED FLAPS!! Can we say 10 point bonus in P-40 profile contests!!!!!  I still think that the kit airfoils are probably thinner and if time permits soon I'll have to blow up the mag plan and compare the kit rib to the plan rib.
    Time for bed!
     HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY EVERYONE!!!
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 12:30:42 PM »
   I found the Tony article in January 1970 Flying Models, and due to lead times for publication at that time, it existed during the classic era and would be legal also. It has the same thicker wing as the published 109 and P-63. The wing airfoil, to me, is so different, you have to wonder if that makes them two different models. And add in the different tail shape of the published P-63 and the kit version. I think the published versions would be better performers than the kit versions due to the thicker airfoil. The kit wings were probably victim of the "lets make the wing thinner so we can get all the wing ribs on as little balsa as possible" syndrome.  Go to the Outerzone plan site and you can compare the wing plans.. You could make a hybrid, and use the published wing in the kit fuselages?? If you want to do the P-40, pick a rib near the root that fits and use it for the whole wing. . So, if push came to shove, I think the Midwest kits are different enough that they should NOT be classic legal, but are N-30 eligible, but with that thin wing, are at a competitive disadvantage to other designs at the time.  The published designs are, or course classic ear legal, but since they existed it would be a legal period modification, I think, to use the published wing in a kit fuselage and such, if you have the parts. I'm interested in how the published designs would fly with the fixed flaps, and with proper balance and set up, they might do pretty well.
   Type at you later,
  HAPPY 4th of JULY!!!
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here