News:

• March 28, 2024, 09:29:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ME-262 Rebuild  (Read 3452 times)

Offline jjorgensen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
ME-262 Rebuild
« on: May 06, 2010, 06:27:47 PM »
Sort of a rebuild. I was able to save the wingtips, tail section, and flaps. The rest is new. I redid the canopy shape, and like it better now. Really beefed the center section, and made it a tri gear instead of tail dragger.
Jim Jorgensen

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
Re: ME-262 Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 07:49:38 PM »
I remember this model. Did you build it from Flying Models plans. Always thought that it was one great looking model. By the way yours is really a 'looker'  y1
Dennis

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 08:18:30 PM »
 Lookin' good Jim, maybe I'll get to see it in person this time! :## ;D
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline jjorgensen

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 05:47:16 AM »
Yes, this was from Flying Model plans. A Sheeks/Vornholt design. The plans were really basic which probably led to the first version's demise!
Jim Jorgensen

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 12:35:04 PM »
Hi Jim,

I am really glad you got it back together!  I was talking with Jim the other night about your plane and the ME 262 model, overall.  He said he liked his second one better which had the single seat bubble canopy and the lead outs in the wing, instead of coming out of the wing tip and leading edge like the model in the article's pictures showed.

Those FM plans left a lot to the imagination! LL~  (and I'm sure it wasn't Jim's fault)

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 06:51:34 PM »
 Would have been a nice model to have displayed at Discover Aviation Days this past weekend Jim, where were ya! ???

Wayne Willey

Offline jjorgensen

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 10:38:51 AM »
Saturday looked like a blowout, and unfortunately, had to spend Sunday rebuilding window seats. I would have rather been at Aviation Days!
Jim Jorgensen

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 08:15:47 PM »
Two questions:
1) Did you revise the plans with your corrections?  Are they available?
2) Does it actually fly correctly with that much sweep (with the control lines not coming out the leading edge, but out the wing-tip)?  I've always understood that you normally only sweep the lines about 3 degrees back from the center of balance.

Thanks,
Scott

Offline jjorgensen

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 02:08:29 PM »
I didn't know of any plans available with the corrections. The major correction I made was to join the spar top and bottom with 1/8 inch ply, extending about 2 inches beyond the fusalage sides, and to run ply doublers back to beyond the bellcrank location which is a couple inches behind the spar. The plane flies extremely well with the leadouts coming out the wingtip. It pulled like a truck initially, but I moved the leadouts as far forward as I could. It still flies somewhat nose out (I can see both main wheels from the center of the circle) but it is not extreme, and it has very good line tension everywhere. I am still experimenting with engines and props. I changed from a FP 40 to a LA 40 (LA seems to hold a more steady run)  and am now running a 10-5 zinger prop. Lap speeds have varied from 4.6 to 5.6 and it seems to like 4.6 better. I am now aiming for around 5 sec lap times. While it doesn't have a sharp corner, like a modern design, it turns amazingly well for the small flaps and elevators that it has. No tendency to hunt. It has needed no adjustment for wings level upright or inverted. Overall, I am quite happy with it.
Jim Jorgensen

Offline thomas farmer

• Ensign
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 09:39:28 PM »
Look's great Jim,let me know how it turns out.

Offline thomas farmer

• Ensign
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 09:48:58 PM »
Jim, if you can't move the lead outs father forward , try moving the C/G back ( modeling clay) a little at a time, playing with the C/G that has worked out pretty well for me a couple of times.

Offline jjorgensen

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 10:54:54 AM »
I have tried that, and by replacing the stock muffler with a homemade muffler, I was able to take 2 oz off the nose. It did make a noticable difference. I will continue to try more tailweight to see if it improves any more.
Jim Jorgensen

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 09:53:53 PM »
Hi Jim,

Sounds like you are getting things under control with the ME 262.  I have had those plans since it first came out in Flying Models, and after getting to know Jim V., I want to build one more and more!

Good Luck!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 06:12:30 PM »
Hi Jim. I'm really glad you rebuilt this one. It looks great!  The new canopy is a wonderful addition along with the trike gear. Did you change the design of the wing tips?  I think a lot of people would be interested in the plans with the changes. What canopy did you use and did you have to change the top rear of the fuselage to get it to fit right?  Thanks, Mike  #^
AMA 59633

Offline jjorgensen

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 07:35:00 PM »
Hi Mike:
I did change the wingtips by making the end rib perpendicular to the spar, rather than angled as the plan showed, but retained the same tip outline. That gave me more room to install line slider. The canopy was formed from my own carved mold using a 2 litre coke bottle and heat gun. I ran the 1 inch top block back to approximately to the leading edge of the flaps where they join the fuselage, and then tapered it down to 1/2 inch where it intersected the vertical fin.
Jim Jorgensen

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 09:52:28 PM »
Hi Jim, Did you go with the foam engine nacelles again?
AMA 59633

Offline jjorgensen

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 07:02:19 AM »
Yup. Two of the few things I was able to save from the first crash. The engine pods, flaps, wing-tips and tail section. Everything else new.
Jim Jorgensen

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 09:35:53 AM »
Hi Jim, I'm wondering what does the plane weight and what is the inner diameter of the foam jet engine inlets? Do you know roughly what the wing area is?  Thanks, Mike  H^^
AMA 59633

Offline jjorgensen

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 05:49:17 PM »
Hey Mike:
You gave me an excuse to go buy that scale I've been putting off for awhile. The ME-262 weighs in at 44 oz. unfueled. The inside diamater of the jet pods is 1 1/2 inches. I'm not exactly sure how to measure the square inches with the sweep, but I estimate it to be in the neighborhood of 480 to 500 square inches. It is 60 inches in width, with the cord at the center of the fus about 10 inches and at the tip 6 inches.
Jim Jorgensen

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2010, 05:54:57 AM »
Hi Jim,  Thanks for the information  Mike
AMA 59633

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2019, 08:01:39 PM »
Always liked this jet. So I designed and built my own. Ribs are made from foam supermarket meat trays. Tough, strong and stands up to shock very well when I tested this material before construction.

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2019, 08:46:17 PM »
Full flaps and hardwood stringer down the spine of the fuselage. Bellcrank and inner wing spars reinforced for landing forces / provide stiffness and strength. Playoff weight Vs strength a big theme in this model.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2019, 09:28:55 PM »
Always liked this jet. So I designed and built my own.

Great looking model John. I'm curious though, why all the panel line work before final covering and finish?

Wayne Willey

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2019, 02:43:59 PM »
Hi wwwwarbird. At this stage I also paint in the cockpit detail, sorty black and dark green- attach markings and give whole plane 3 coats clear automotive acrylic - reasonably fuel proof unless you soak raw fuel on it. Then plastic shrink wrap on wings with markings - which are also clear coated before gluing to wing covering. I'll attach a finished photo and another during construction.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2019, 08:17:14 PM »
Hi wwwwarbird. At this stage I also paint in the cockpit detail, sorty black and dark green- attach markings and give whole plane 3 coats clear automotive acrylic - reasonably fuel proof unless you soak raw fuel on it. Then plastic shrink wrap on wings with markings - which are also clear coated before gluing to wing covering.

Thanks for the reply John, a pretty unorthodox routine but if it works so be it.

Wayne Willey

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2019, 12:36:21 AM »
Thanks wwwarbird. Yes it does work well, and yes we are a little unorthodox down here in the South Pacific Kiwiland. By the way I like your P38, a nice ship. Regards John.

Advertise Here

Advertise Here