News:

• April 30, 2024, 02:36:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Louis van Der Hout's Olympus  (Read 4195 times)

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Louis van Der Hout's Olympus
« on: January 07, 2007, 07:34:11 AM »
Louis van Der Hout developed a Shark 45 sized stunter with the aesthetics of Bob Gialdini's Olympic.  Power is by a Veco 45.

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Captain
Re: Louis van Der Hout's Olympus
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 07:36:17 AM »
One more time.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 08:39:12 AM »
There were many twin rudder airplanes over the years. I wouldn't say that they were all inspired by Bob's "Olympic". Although the "Olympus" name is a hint in this case.

Inspirations could have come from Palmer's "Mars", or a B-25, or Aircoupe. etc.

A personal favorite of mine is Ed Elasick's "Impala". Of course we used to practice together, so I am prejudiced. We used to kid him about his "Constellation" with the triple tail. Personally I think it is one of the prettier of the multi rudder airplanes, and I did have one.

I will surely be making laser ribs available for the "Impala", and would consider making a kit if the numbers are there.

AMA 7544

Offline Roger Ladds

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 10:03:21 AM »
Hi Allen
Check with Leonard Neumann I think I sent him a copy of the plan ,along with others, a year or so back. It was a copy given to me by Louis I think sourced from Henk de Jong.
Roger Ladds [UK]

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 03:54:03 AM »
Roger - welcome to the show! If you'r in touch with Louis you could check the matter of the fin camber with him. There has been some corres. that on the plan the camber is the reverse of what we would expect?
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline NED-088

• Commander
    • Heartstrings
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 04:01:08 AM »
The fin camber is drawn the wrong way around. Just reverse.

Louis' family name is van den Hout. In the Netherlands prepositions in names like van, de, den, der and te are never written in capitals. We're oldfashioned I suppose... ;D

It's a strange experience suddenly finding one's name near the end of the alphabet instead of under 'H' ::) Happens to me all the time, when abroad. y1

Bruno van Hoek

Speaking of a triple fin, I think Allen did a great job on the Trianic. Long ago I got to fly the original and even worse  '' SH^, Bert gave it to me as a flying test bench for my (then) new Super Tigre. Engine slow down during the overheads sealed it's fate...
'If you think there's something about my English, you're right. I'm Dutch... '
But I DO play Stunt and I DO fly Bluegrass.

Offline Jim Rhoades

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 07:20:16 PM »
Allen,

I had the pleasure of meeting Louis van den Hout last summer during my contest tour of Europe.  He was judging at one or more of the meets I attended.  Unfortunately I did not find out it was him until after the contest so I was unable to talk with him as much as I would have liked.  He was very informative and I much enjoyed our conversation.  I remember well pictures and mention of Louis in Aeromodeller articles about the World Champs and Criteriums in the 60's and 70's.

I also conversed with Bruno van Hoek several times at several venues.  He was flying an electric ship.  Met lots of great modellers and had a fantastic time flying both F2B Stunt and F2A Speed in 6 contests across Europe.

Jim Rhoades

Offline NED-088

• Commander
    • Heartstrings
Re: Louis van den Hout's Olympus
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 03:26:04 PM »
Nooo way! Hope you took that as a friendly ribbing... ;D  In Europe it's a different language every hundreds of miles.... We're confusing ourselves at every possible occasion.... ;D
I think it is short from utterly amazing (there's something wrong about this idiom, but I, in turn, fail to see what..) to see how you took up the task of replicating our history so faithfully. H^^
I was on the trail of locating Wim Cator, but haven't succeeded in visiting him. Maybe this spring. I'll let you know.
'If you think there's something about my English, you're right. I'm Dutch... '
But I DO play Stunt and I DO fly Bluegrass.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 07:22:30 PM »
Hi Bruno,

Thanks for the picture of Mr. Grondal's #5 and #6 "Noblers".  The color picture of the #5 confirms the red/black w/white trim paint scheme as I was previously told.  Mr. Grondal had mentioned the white/light blue #6 to me, also.

It, along with the Nakke, is among my very favorite Classic Designs. 

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 09:23:35 PM »
I'm a bit confused about this version of the Trianic. I was the brazen oaf that contacted (?) Metkemeyer (Burt?) through my buddy Tom Knoppi (F2C guy), and asked if it could be possible to have plans drawn to preserve the beautiful design. Henk ended up selling the plans, which I assume is where Allen B. got his set, leading to the article in FM.

I was told in a reply from Mr. Metkemeyer that the original still existed. Maybe he'd built more than one of the ".35" size in the taildragger config? Or maybe he got the remains back, and the drawings got drawn from those? I'm also surprised to see the green color scheme. I saw a picture of one in Aero Modeller that was brown and orange, which I know is/was the Dutch GP colors.    H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 08:51:53 PM »
One shot of myTrianic in the driveway at home.

Allen Brickhaus

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 08:53:49 PM »
Under-belly of the Trianic with wing gear.

Allen Brickhaus

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 06:58:43 AM »
Orange and silver Olympus.

Allen Brickhaus

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE