News:

• May 17, 2024, 10:49:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lieutenant airplane or Ducharme's Lieutenant  (Read 1224 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Lieutenant airplane or Ducharme's Lieutenant
« on: July 26, 2013, 02:45:57 PM »
    Hi All:

I recently purchased this airplane already built but it has one small fault.  It takes about 14 oz. engine to balance the plane to where it will fly.  I have no engines that are that heavy and I hate to buy an engine for just one plane.

The plane looks great but the nose appears to be short,  The nose is 7 inches long when measured from the of the leading edge.  The  trailing edge of the wing to the leading edge of stabilizer measures 7.5 inches.  This plane looks like a Magician with an elliptical wing.  It is nice to look at but is so tail heavy.

What can be done to get this thing to fly well? The previous owner had a bit of lead added to the nose but it just hunted in flight. 

Any suggestions?

Anybody familiar with this plane? Anybod know anything the histor of this plane?

Tia,

Zeke

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Lieutenant airplane or Ducharme's Lieutenant
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 02:57:09 PM »
Put some lead in the back plate of the engine.   Also maybe bigger wheels which will help if flying on grass.   No matter what you do, do not try flying it in a tail heavy condition unless you want to rebuild the plane.   I have plans for the Lieutenant and the airfoil is very thin which means it probably needs to fly faster than most.   My opinion as I would love to build it for classic.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Lieutenant airplane or Ducharme's Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 09:17:34 PM »
   Hi All:

I recently purchased this airplane already built but it has one small fault.  It takes about 14 oz. engine to balance the plane to where it will fly.        What can be done to get this thing to fly well? The previous owner had a bit of lead added to the nose but it just hunted in flight.  

Any suggestions?

Anybody familiar with this plane? Anybod know anything the histor of this plane?

Tia,

Zeke

WOW.  14 oz is needed in the nose.  How much does your airplane weigh?

If this is the Ducharme Lieutenant from Model Airplane News, Jan 58, his model weighed 30 oz, total, with a Fox 35.  This is a full size stunt ship about 52" span or more, very simple construction, it should build light, no flaps.  Fairly thin airfoil.  Will fly fast.  The original was covered with silk and clear doped over the open bays of the wing (most of it) and the elevators.  The vertical tail was 1/8" sheet with ribs on either side, covered with silk.

I really do not have any positive suggestions other than to figure out how to make the rear end of the thing much lighter.  There must be a lot of heavy wood and a heavy finish back there.  Otherwise, get as much lead as you can forward of the LE.  And then find a really heavy spinner coupled with the an additional spinner weight like from Great Planes.

Keith
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 09:42:05 PM by Trostle »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here