News:

• May 02, 2024, 03:29:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jet Style classic planes  (Read 7416 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Jet Style classic planes
« on: January 17, 2007, 06:27:33 PM »
Can we comprise a list of jet-style classic legal planes, I keep seeing pictures of ones that I had never heard of before. I'll start with the ones I can com up with off the top of my head, but can some others chime in?

Novi 1
All American Eagle
Novi 3
Novi 4 (I suppose)
Formula S
Talon
Blue Angel
F-86
Crusader
Supersonic Stunter
Shark

I know I know others that just aren't coming to me at the moment.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Groman

• New Pilot
Re: Jet Style classic planes
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 06:57:16 PM »
"Jet style" seems to mean (usually) having a large airscoop under a pointy (Veco needlenose style) spinner, with the canopy pushed up close behind the spinner, making the nose area look F8 Crusader-ish or A-7 Corsair-ish.  With that definition, I would include the Jerry Worth Mirage series among my favorites.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 07:27:37 PM »
Can we comprise a list of jet-style classic legal planes, I keep seeing pictures of ones that I had never heard of before. I'll start with the ones I can com up with off the top of my head, but can some others chime in?

Novi 1
All American Eagle
Novi 3
Novi 4 (I suppose)
Formula S
Talon
Blue Angel
F-86
Crusader
Supersonic Stunter
Shark

I know I know others that just aren't coming to me at the moment.

I CANNOT BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!

You, of all people........................ !!!!!!!!!!

The USA-1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wickd Witch
Champione's Sabre
Apterix
Suarez F-4
Both Patriots

;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 07:32:41 PM »
Here's a few more. A couple aren't really sleek. just sorta based on real jet aircraft.
ME-262
Sting Ray
Rayette
U-2
King Sweep
Curtis Special
Freedom
Torino
Sweeper
Temco TT-1
Sea Vixen
Novette
Scottsman
Demon
Swinger
Stunt Liner
Fury
Thor

Offline Artur Caban

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 04:16:46 AM »
This is Jerzy Ostrowski's stunter from '70s. It is a Jet Style classic plane perhaps only in Poland. But very attractive to me.
Artur.

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 05:24:18 AM »
"Jet style" seems to mean (usually) having a large airscoop under a pointy (Veco needlenose style) spinner, with the canopy pushed up close behind the spinner, making the nose area look F8 Crusader-ish or A-7 Corsair-ish.  With that definition, I would include the Jerry Worth Mirage series among my favorites.

I would have to add "Trike Gear" to my definition of jet style. Yes, a lot of stunters have that sleeker look, but real jets have nose wheels.

Don't forget Mike McHenry's A-7 Corsair II just recently pictured in this section.

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 07:51:24 AM »
I would have to add "Trike Gear" to my definition of jet style. Yes, a lot of stunters have that sleeker look, but real jets have nose wheels.

Don't forget Mike McHenry's A-7 Corsair II just recently pictured in this section.  (my emphasis!)

Ron

You know, I am a sucker for the Corsair II and Crusader!  The Crusader was referred to as the "Last of the Gun Fighters"!

I talked with Vic Macaluso about the F-8 Crusader he flew at the '70 NATS to see if he started it before Dec. 31, 1969.  Alas, he did not.  However the F-4, from Suarez, published in the same issue of AM was!

Hey, Mike McHenry!  Any chance of getting a set of those drawings copied??

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 08:39:17 AM »
Here is one very few people have ever seen.I built two of these in 1964 and still have this one which is hanging from my office ceiling. I have only flown it 25-30 times since 1969 and two of those flights was in the very first classic contest on the east coast and I placed in the top three with it.Everyone called it the "JET" It started life with a .29 in it and that was soon replaced with a FOX .59 and later I used a ST/.46. It flew like a normal stunt plane and didn't have any bad trim problems. Nothing was adjustable .I had just lucked out and got it correct the first time.I have all the documentation to prove its age.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 02:16:29 PM »
Bill,

I suppose the USA-1 is a "jet" style.  :)

I'm really thinking about Bernie Ash's Supersonic Stunter. While I wonder how well it will fly, I think it would be a kick to build and it certainly would be different. With an ST 60 or Magnum 53 in the nose, it should have enough power. It is really pretty big.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mike Ferguson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 02:21:31 PM »
Thor

Moses Quintana's Thor looks awesome ... and I don't remember anyone bringing one to the VSC.  It'd be a standout if someone did.

It's got a swept-rearward trailing edge and a ridiculously thin/small fuse area from the flaps on back - looks pretty different.

Love to build one someday ... assuming I ever get the time.   ::)

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 08:31:40 AM »
USA-1 and TEMPEST
1971 NATS
Glenview, Ill

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 02:53:38 PM »
What's the plane in front of the USA-1?

I love the 60s jet style planes.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Airacobra

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 08:18:26 PM »
The plane in front of the USA 1 looks to be Wynn Paul's Miss Lexington, of course that is just a guess.
Keith Bryant

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 08:58:06 PM »
I believe it is the Miss Lexington.

As an 18 year old kid I couldn't decide which one I liked best - the USA-1 or the Tempest!  But actually my all time favorite stunt ship at 1971 NATS was the yellow one sitting right behind my maroon Nobler in this photo.   Cannot for the life of me remember the pilot's name, even though we pitted next to each other.  Anybody know?  Inspired by that airplane, I went home and designed my own rendition of it based soley on this one picture.  Flew my version, called the Scimitar, the next spring.  Scimitar had a short life, so short in fact that I don't have a single picture of it, only the pencil drawn plans on grocery store wrapping paper (it was on a roll and the grocery store owner would give me all I needed for free - designed several airplanes on it).  My "buddies" in the club nicknamed my airplane the Skim-The-Tar after it's early demise.

Hey, notice another jet-style stunter (white and dark blue) further back.

Mike

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 09:23:51 PM »
Of course no discussion of jet-style stunters would be complete without Bob Lampione's 1969 NATS winning F-86 SABRE!  Another one of my all-time favorites.  It's a must do!!  I'm frankly amazed that no one has built one for VSC yet.  The original flew with an unmuffled Fox 35.  Can you imagine building a new one with an Aero Tiger 36 or some other modern powerplant ... all I can say is it would be SWEET!!!

I used to have the Flying Models plan, but haven't seen it in years.  Is it still available somewhere?

Mike

Offline Bill Groman

• New Pilot
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »
Hey Bill Groman.  <=  Where you been?  We have missed you.   #^ Did you ever update or move your site with the Cobra on it???   #^

Email sent, Ty.  Gave the Cobra to Greg Howie. Wasn't going to do CL again, but this site brings back the fun aspects.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 11:15:45 PM »
What's the plane in front of the USA-1?

I love the 60s jet style planes.

As Keith Bryant and Mike Gretz surmised, that airplane does look like Wynn Paul's Miss Lexington.  I just checked the magazine article in the October 1974 issue of American Aircraft Modeler.  The swept vertical tail with the long dorsal match.  What can be seen of the paint scheme on the top of the wing with the band across the wing and over the fuselage also match which was fairly unique to that airplane.  It could be the camera angle but the tip of the vertical looks smaller than the magazine plan.  Also, the picture shows what appears to be a large stinger aft of the horizontal tail.  That could be another object, not part of the airplane, but the magazines plans do not show anything like that.  Still, a safe bet is that it is the Paul Miss Lexington.

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2007, 06:16:01 AM »
Bob "Mr. '69 Nats" looks the same today....

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2007, 07:01:06 AM »
I used to have the Flying Models plan, but haven't seen it in years.  Is it still available somewhere?

Mike

Mike,

IIRC, Flying Models plans are alive and well. You can get them direct from Carstens.

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2007, 09:58:45 AM »
Jim,
Don worked on F86s, I am sure that that was his major influence,
AMA 7544

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2007, 07:57:36 PM »
Bob "Mr. '69 Nats" looks the same today....

Peabody,

Go by the Optometrist soon...............

I guess he does "SORTA" look the same today if you remove the hair, replace it with a few strands of gray and put on the mustache!   y1

LL~  LL~

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Airacobra

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »
Mike, the plane behind your Nobler appears to be a Jim Deyoung Roadrunner or a version of the Roadrunner. I think the wheelpants and the vertical tail shape lead me to that guess.
Keith Bryant

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2007, 07:23:55 AM »
A question that also begs answering here is:  What was the 1st Jet Style Stunter?
Some contenders are:  1.  International Stunt Champ.  2.  Cat's Whiskers.  3.  Wicked Witch.  4.  Curtis Special.

There could be some old time jet style stunters also, but alas.  I don't have the OTS Construction Book.

Jim Pollock  ???  n~

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2007, 10:14:13 AM »
Jim,
Red Reinhardt's "International Stunt Winner" was not a jet style. Maybe you are thinking of another airplane.
Lloyd Curtiss's "Curtiss Special" was publiched in December 1956 American Modeler.
I don't have the OTS book handy so I don't have info on the "Wicked Witch" at this time

Mike Ferguson,
Here is a Andy Lee picture of Mose Quintana at the '65 NATS with his "Thor" He took 5th in Open (It was on the PAMPA web site) Published May 1967, I have the plans to the "Thor"
AMA 7544

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2007, 12:18:47 PM »
Jim,
Red Reinhardt's "International Stunt Winner" was not a jet style. Maybe you are thinking of another airplane.
Lloyd Curtiss's "Curtiss Special" was publiched in December 1956 American Modeler.
I don't have the OTS book handy so I don't have info on the "Wicked Witch" at this time

Mike Ferguson,
Here is a Andy Lee picture of Mose Quintana at the '65 NATS with his "Thor" He took 5th in Open (It was on the PAMPA web site) Published May 1967, I have the plans to the "Thor"

Hi Tom,

I have the magazine (Air Trails for boys??) from 1955 with the article on Donald Hoag's "Wicked Witch", plus the original plans.  It is an F-86 with 3" of wing panel offset and used a Fox 35.  It is "supposed" to be the "First Jet Stunt Plane" published.  And from what I can tell, it is the first "semi scale jet fighter plane" published.  As to "jet looking planes" it isn't the first.

Donald painted his all red to match a real F-86, the "Wicked Witch".

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2007, 02:14:02 PM »
Thanks Bill,

The "Curtiss Special" article mentions that Don Hoag's "Wicked Witch" had been promised for the November 1955 issue of 'Young Men", but you have now confirmed it.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 02:33:54 PM by Tom Niebuhr »
AMA 7544

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2007, 07:07:42 PM »
Mike,

In you picture of the '71 Nats at Glenview, the gentleman standing in the background with his arms folded wearing the yellow shirt and darker (kaki) pants appears to have all the manerisms of Mike Thompson's Dad, Bob.  I can't tell though because the head is missing from the picture.  He's watching something intently, so Mike could have been flying at that time.

Jim Pollock  HIHI%%

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2007, 08:27:15 PM »
Could be Jim.  Sorry there isn't more to show of that picture - what you see is the full frame - not cropped.
Mike

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2007, 01:44:40 AM »
Thanks Bill,

The "Curtiss Special" article mentions that Don Hoag's "Wicked Witch" had been promised for the November 1955 issue of 'Young Men", but you have now confirmed it.

Hi Tom,

Air Trails for Young Men!  Why was I only able to come up with "boys"???
 LL~ LL~ LL~

Would yo like a copy of The Wicked Witch??  Plans or article?? 
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2007, 01:55:21 AM »
HI Bill. What cha doin up so late?? No school tomorrow.  #^ <= LL~

What are YOU dong u so late??  LL~ LL~

I got hit by a case of IBS abut 1:30, so now school for me, tomorrow.  It'll take about 12 hours to run it's course for me...........

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline rob biddle

• Commander
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2007, 02:37:35 AM »
     Hi Folks,
  I love Lloyd Curtis's International Stunt Champ. I can't believe that I didn't think of that one first **)

I have to build one. (someday soon I hope)

I believe the model itself is only about 40" span, I think my NIB OS. max .25 (loop scavenged) should prove to be ideal.

Hey Bill, hope you feel better soon. I am blessed with a condition similar to IBS which is usually aggrovated by 2 little rabbits that won't go to sleep. **)

Cheers, Rob.
Robert Biddle

Offline Mike Ferguson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2007, 07:08:36 AM »
Jim,

Mike Ferguson,

Cool pic.  Thanks for the info ....  :)

BTW, Mose Quintana was a lefty?  (Guessing that from the leadouts in the picture.)  Did not know that.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2007, 09:41:01 AM »
I have looked further, now that I am home and some reference material.

Red Reinhardts "International Stunt WINNER" was not "jet-like", it was published in 1/51 Air Trails.

Lloyd Curtis' "International Stunt CHAMP" was published in 3/53 Air Trails, it is "jet-like" with bubble canopy, swept rudder, and inverted speed type helmit cowl that could have an inspiration for Frank McMillan's Gambler cowl. (I was incorrect about this airplane) The key words are "Winner" and "Champ"

Mike.. Memory fade here, maybe Moses did fly backwards.. have to check with Andy Lee or Bill Suarez. All I remember is that Moses was a fun guy to be with.
AMA 7544

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2007, 11:39:57 PM »
Bill,

"Would yo like a copy of The Wicked Witch??  Plans or article??

Yes, thanks.
AMA 7544

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2007, 12:41:20 PM »
Bill,

"Would yo like a copy of The Wicked Witch??  Plans or article??

Yes, thanks.

OK, Tom.  Give me a few days to get them together and copied.  Don't let me forget!

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Mike Ferguson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2007, 02:41:01 PM »
While thinking about the Thor ... I seem to remember seeing pictures of another Moses Quintana plane when I was a kid - it was a stunt plane, but it had the looks of a passenger jet.  Looked kinda cool, or so I remember, anyway.   ::)

Anyone know if this was a published design?  Or have pictures of it?  (Or does it just exist in my imagination?)

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2007, 07:07:39 PM »
There was a design, by Sheeks, that looked like an airliner. I used to have the magazine, but It's lost somewhere. Should be classic legal, and I always thought it lacked in the "charm" category.

jOHN mILLER n~
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Online afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2007, 07:39:42 PM »
The plane in front of the USA 1 looks to be Wynn Paul's Miss Lexington, of course that is just a guess.

YES it tis! I was the last owner of the plane and flew it while attending UK in Lexington, KY.
ST. 46 for power.
Old pictures are GREAT!   y1

Wes 
Wes Eakin

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2007, 10:13:42 PM »
I believe it is the Miss Lexington.

As an 18 year old kid I couldn't decide which one I liked best - the USA-1 or the Tempest!  But actually my all time favorite stunt ship at 1971 NATS was the yellow one sitting right behind my maroon Nobler in this photo.   Cannot for the life of me remember the pilot's name, even though we pitted next to each other.  Anybody know?  Inspired by that airplane, I went home and designed my own rendition of it based soley on this one picture.  Flew my version, called the Scimitar, the next spring.  Scimitar had a short life, so short in fact that I don't have a single picture of it, only the pencil drawn plans on grocery store wrapping paper (it was on a roll and the grocery store owner would give me all I needed for free - designed several airplanes on it).  My "buddies" in the club nicknamed my airplane the Skim-The-Tar after it's early demise.

Hey, notice another jet-style stunter (white and dark blue) further back.

Mike

The white, blue and red jet style is Bob Whitely's, I cannot remember what it is but I held it for him a lot. The blue low-rider is Tom Lay's model. The Tempest in the other shot is Tom Warden's.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2007, 10:28:27 PM »
The white, blue and red jet style is Bob Whitely's, I cannot remember what it is but I held it for him a lot. The blue low-rider is Tom Lay's model. The Tempest in the other shot is Tom Warden's.

Hi Chris,

Any luck yet on plans for your Dad's '68 Shark?

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2007, 07:09:45 PM »
Yes! The California Jet will probably be drawn up this fall, stay tuned.
Chris...

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2007, 08:37:36 PM »
Bob's Beautiful STING RAY...NEED WE SAY MORE????
Don Shultz

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2007, 11:36:15 PM »
Email sent, Ty.  Gave the Cobra to Greg Howie. Wasn't going to do CL again, but this site brings back the fun aspects.

Bill I've missed both you and your site.  I enjoyed reading about your restoration projects.  I had no idea why the site went away but sure wish you would consider bringing it back.

Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2007, 06:19:54 PM »
Anybody have pictures of Bernie Ash's Supersonic Stunter?
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Jim Rhoades

• Commander
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2007, 05:18:41 PM »
How about the Jetco Saber Stunt.

The little brother Stingray was mentioned but I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Gialdini's '65 Nats winning Eclipse.  A truly beautiful jet styled ship.  It was also one of the first Nats winners running a muffler as I recall.  Big and impressive.

I was also quite impressed with Quintana's Thor at the '65 Nats.

Jim Rhoades

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2007, 06:31:58 PM »
Peabody,

Go by the Optometrist soon...............

I guess he does "SORTA" look the same today if you remove the hair, replace it with a few strands of gray and put on the mustache!   y1

LL~  LL~

Bill <><

Lampione would look a bit more familiar in that picture if he had the goofy pants and the beanie hat.  He looks altogether too respectable in that photo.

Steve
Steve

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2007, 09:38:42 PM »
Lampione's Sabre Stunt is plan CF 197 from Flying Models.

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2007, 07:47:27 PM »
To: John Miller...

Good times at the VSC, no?

The Sheeks STUNTLINER appeared in one of the Carstens Decade of Designs books, which I have, btw.

I think I have the article in my personal collection... After I return from the frozen mid-West (grandpa visit, and to collect grandma and bring her home...) I'll check through and (if I remember - remind me if I don't and no one else has helped out) (after end of next week...) copy and send either just the full-page plan from Decades, or plan page plus article if it is in my stuff.

I'd suggest, if you do one, to create some 1950's looking airliner color scheme, for Nonesuch Airlines. Today's PC airliners don't want the paying public to know they are even in a turn! Imagine the "thrills" for a full seating of SOB (no, that means: Souls On Board!) going through a stunt pattern!

As I recall, engine was upright, in the flight-deck area. Pilot and Co- would need somewhere else to sit. There was no windowglass in front of the engine...
\BEST\LOU

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2007, 07:54:28 PM »
Randy,

To your post #46...

I think there was an article, and I think I either have it on paper, or on Tom Wilk's classic models CD. As I've mentioned once or twice, this following week is 'elsewhere' where I can play grandpa and reclaim grandma (who left for there last Sunday.) Limited access, and likely read-only, while 'there.' NO access to my files until I get back...

As I told Joe Bellcrank, er, John M, if I forget, unless someone else has already helped, please remind me?
\BEST\LOU

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2007, 10:09:30 PM »
To: John Miller...

Good times at the VSC, no?

The Sheeks STUNTLINER appeared in one of the Carstens Decade of Designs books, which I have, btw.

I think I have the article in my personal collection... After I return from the frozen mid-West (grandpa visit, and to collect grandma and bring her home...) I'll check through and (if I remember - remind me if I don't and no one else has helped out) (after end of next week...) copy and send either just the full-page plan from Decades, or plan page plus article if it is in my stuff.

I'd suggest, if you do one, to create some 1950's looking airliner color scheme, for Nonesuch Airlines. Today's PC airliners don't want the paying public to know they are even in a turn! Imagine the "thrills" for a full seating of SOB (no, that means: Souls On Board!) going through a stunt pattern!

As I recall, engine was upright, in the flight-deck area. Pilot and Co- would need somewhere else to sit. There was no windowglass in front of the engine...

Hi Lou,

I have had the Flying Models magazine and their plans for the Stuntliner for a long time.......

John Davis did very well with his at the '64 NATS, IIRC.  He drew a set of plans from his own which was just slightly different from the FM one that Jack published. (in the article, Jack's plane is shown in two different color schemes!)  I *think* John only used two dummy jet pods on his.  John's plans are available from Leonard Neumann, which I also have.  Tom Dixon did a redraw of the FM plans, too.

A Fox 40 (the Rocket one) was used in at least on of the originals.  IIRC, John had trouble on landing during his best flight at the NATS which lowered him to 4th or somewhere around there.  Been a LONG time since I read the article! ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2007, 07:22:29 PM »
Was someone looking for Sheeks Stuntliner? ;)
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2007, 07:57:07 PM »
How about the Jetco Saber Stunt.

The little brother Stingray was mentioned but I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Gialdini's '65 Nats winning Eclipse.  A truly beautiful jet styled ship.  It was also one of the first Nats winners running a muffler as I recall.  Big and impressive.

I was also quite impressed with Quintana's Thor at the '65 Nats.

Jim Rhoades
again...Eclipse
Don Shultz

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2007, 11:24:20 PM »
How about Don Bambrick's Fury?

Don was another of those legendary builder/finishers.  I believe his Fury got 38 appearance points out of George Aldrich, for top spot at the 65 NATs.  Featured a knee deep candy apple blue base color, panel lines, letterset lettering and a immaculate finish.  Nice flying airplane with the Fox 35, it would dance with even a little more power.  I think the plans were published in MAN

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2007, 07:36:25 AM »
Don Bambrick's Fury was published in Flying Models, February 1967.

A good looking airplane by a really good guy and good pilot.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here