News:

• May 02, 2024, 08:48:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jack Sheeks "Torino"  (Read 5461 times)

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Jack Sheeks "Torino"
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2007, 04:59:33 PM »
Geez was writing and note went away...

Hey Bill I took PLENTY of offence  LL~  LL~  LL~ (yeah, right)  I knew exactly what you were saying and agree completely (but cant start a war if I say THAT!)  LL~  LL~  LL~  S?P

A few years back I was helping a buddy at the Sailplane NATs with his Airtronics Legend - one of the last of the all built up birds.  He was going for a big launch, riding the winch pretty hard when WHOOMP! Big pieces of the main lifting surface were seen to be drifting away (some might still be flying) and his sailplane transformed into a high performance lawn dart.

Post mortem show the spar (spruce caps, balsa webs, ply CF and epoxy wraps, the works) to be completely intact and in fact COULD have been used in another wing!  It was like pulling the spine out of a Perch filet!

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2007, 08:02:11 AM »
For those reading this post, who might be interested in building the Torino, I'll be starting the Cad work on the plans over the weekend, while attending the NW Regionals. I'm planning on two variations to the plans. One as it was published, strip ribs etc. The other modified to use full ribs, as Gordan and I used on our renditions of Gierkes All American Eagles. I posted pictures on this method recently to this forum, if you'd like to see what I'm talking about.

The plans are going to CAD, so we can have the parts laser cut. Currently, ther're 4 of us who will be building Torinos for VSC XX. It's a sort of "Tribute" thing for Jack and Jim.

One of the builders is Mike Pratt, who has good contacts for laser cutting. When he's got a solid price on that, we'll let it be known. We are not trying to make money with this deal, just cover the costs.

You don't have to have the CAD plans, or the laser cut parts to join us. I also feel that the Scottsman, because of it's obvious relationship to the Torino, would be a natural for those wishing to stay away from a boomer. It appears that the wings for both are basically identical, so it could be built with either a 'D" tube as the plans show, or as an I-beamer as Jack originally drew it up.

John Miller

John,  so how are the plans and short kit coming on the Torino?  If it doesn't come thru I will see if I can find my plans for the Spitfire which I have looked at several times.  Would do another of the Staggerwing, but, I got so tired of stripping off ribs for that one.  Later,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2007, 08:27:49 AM »
Hi John,

I'm still working on the plans. I want them to be at least to the quality of the original, published plans. The laser work will be a cinch, once the cutting files are finished.

BTW, I also have a Staggerwing I built for VSC 10, but by truck broke down shortly after I left for Tuscon. A fun airplane.
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2007, 01:06:52 PM »
Geez was writing and note went away...

Hey Bill I took PLENTY of offence  LL~  LL~  LL~ (yeah, right)  I knew exactly what you were saying and agree completely (but cant start a war if I say THAT!)  LL~  LL~  LL~  S?P

A few years back I was helping a buddy at the Sailplane NATs with his Airtronics Legend - one of the last of the all built up birds.  He was going for a big launch, riding the winch pretty hard when WHOOMP! Big pieces of the main lifting surface were seen to be drifting away (some might still be flying) and his sailplane transformed into a high performance lawn dart.

Post mortem show the spar (spruce caps, balsa webs, ply CF and epoxy wraps, the works) to be completely intact and in fact COULD have been used in another wing!  It was like pulling the spine out of a Perch filet!

Hi Dennis,

What I love 'bout the guys in this event is that we can, almost to everyone involved, have a spirited discussion about things, things we agree or disagree about, and still buy each other a "soda pop" afterwards!

Now, I won't even begin to believe I have the stunt knowledge of Al, you, Billy, Bob, Randy, Ted, Paul, Brett, Big Art, Jim, Todd, Tom, (and the list goes on...........in no particular order!).  But, (and there always is a "but" ain't there! ;D ) I listen to those of y'all who do know, and I am at least smart enough to learn and remember those things that do work!  LL~  LL~

So, I love to see the discussions of all things stunt by the Masters!  As I have said (without embarassment) before, I am a GREAT "thief"! LL~ LL~  I steal from the very best.  And I make every effort to acknowledge them when I do! ;D

This hobby has been a part of me for only 44 or so years, but I do have a great affinity for it, still..............

I hope to make it to Muncie, and meet you there! NATS or Bust! **)

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2007, 10:03:12 PM »
Bill
"People say believe Half of what you see,
 Son and NONE of what you hear...!"

If I have learned anything it is that I ain't learned hardly anything!  I learn consistantly from people at all different skill levels and from different parts of the hobby.  I have a lit to learn from our compatriots in Free Flight and RC, even the 3D folks with their propensity for oversize underweight structures.  Some things are easy to learn, sometimes it takes a lot longer.

"Good decisions come from experience.
Experience comes from making bad decisions!"

I have learned how to design, build, practice, and fly better by watching those around me.  Conversely, when I learn something that might help someone I offer it up - sometimes it works sometimes something else is needed.  The great thing about forums like this is that we can kick around a few ideas until one falls out that we like - but we might not all choose the SAME idea!

As for the sodie pop, sure that's OK, but weren't you offering Mint Julips a couple posts back or do we have to wait for Derby weekend...?  I do not think the NATs is in the cards this year, even to spectate, but looking forward to meeting you too!

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2007, 09:47:29 AM »
Perhaps the carbon tube is over complicated. I envisioned it being the leading edge of the elevator. The horn would be coupled to the rod via a manner similar to the push rod usage. This way a single control horn could more evenly apply the force to move the elevator along it's span. This solution would make hinging a bit more complicated however.

I have to think on this a bit more.
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here