News:

• April 27, 2024, 08:33:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pentland Spitfire  (Read 27487 times)

Offline Uolevi heinonen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Pentland Spitfire
« on: May 28, 2013, 11:39:45 AM »
This is one of the numerous planes I have planned to build from the MAP Plans Handbook 1963 which I bought that year when I was 11 years old! I got the plan in 1999 but only started building last February. It is covered with  SIG Koverall and powered with an O.S. LA 46. It has not flown yet.

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Pentland Spitfire
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 01:44:35 PM »
Very nice!

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 05:55:26 PM »
Kokkaburra plans service , in Aus.

Should fly well and motor well suited . Its one of few early deep airfoil designs .

60 ft. lines for trials if youre nervous . 65s should get it out and precise and artistic .
Good Effort . well done .

Offline Uolevi heinonen

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 12:58:17 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments!  By the way, if someone is looking for a simple but 'authentic' paint scheme for a Spitfire, this is it. The RAF Battle of Britain Memeorial Flight is currently operating a Spit IX in all-silver paint with the code letters UF Q.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 09:38:10 AM »
Looks great.   Hope it flies well for you.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 12:36:22 PM »
Regarding Mathew's video, Nutella isn't very good, but it's WAAAYYYY better than Vegimite.  :o Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Uolevi heinonen

• New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 12:30:08 PM »
Spit maidened!

The early summer has been exceptionally windy (and warm) in Finland. After waiting for three weeks for that perfect maiden flight weather (cloudy, cool and 1.7 m/s wind), flying RC slope soarers and realising that it will never come, I took the Spit to flying field last Monday. The wind was OK but the sun was shining low in the early morning, which I do not like at all. Anyway, the Spit flew quite well right from the start showing no nasty habits, but my LA 46 which ran perfectly at my backyard, did not like flying at all and ran very unreliably. And same thing the next day although I thought I had checked everything thoroughly. So its back to the workshop once again.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 07:19:11 AM »
You sure the fuels not stale ? air / moisture in it .

Plug ? if element ' frosty ' = kaput .
Enya No 3 or 4 , thunderbolt idlebar or OS8 should be ok .

Nose UP & shake the Sh*t out of it , to check setting , is still valid .
Though might be considered brash & uncouth . n~

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 12:30:54 AM »
I've seen experts tripped up by things as simple as a loose glowplug. One of my club members had a twin with two .15LA's...one of them kept quitting after 3 laps. Plastic backplate was the culprit, but I also don't like the rear needle valve setup. Fuel runs back to the tank after choking, so it runs the prime out and stops. Using an electric finger is one cure for that. Moving it into the venturi is a better fix, IMO.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Uolevi heinonen

• New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 09:31:47 AM »
Thanks for your kind advice. My LA 46 has a conventional OS spraybar through the venturi and it is mounted with OS aluminium backplate/mount. After my last session I decided to change the backplate gasket to be on the safe side. After removing the backplate I discovered a healthy dose of sand  in the crankcase! So I decided to dismantle the whole engine and, yes, there was sand even in the cylinder! No wonder it ran erratically! I had been flying on a partly grass covered field and could not imagine that the engine could suck so much sand. I have flown in the same place before, but only with upright or side mounted engines. You live and you learn! Luckily I saw no scratches on the cylinder walls, so I hope the engine is still OK.

Offline Matthew Cosier

• New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 05:57:31 PM »
Have you managed to fly the Spitfire again?

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 12:22:04 PM »
Hi Uolevi!

Like Matthew asked, have you flown it much since last year?  Also, what are the dimensions of the Spit?

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 09:09:24 PM »
I fink its fifty seven inch , span .Widdle Picture ,

ancient picture .

Quite Modern for a Antique .  S?P

dunno if the KIT was a Mk VII & the pommy plan a Mk VIII , Mk VII is a HF long span High Altitude  fighter used for Ground Attack at Normandy .

H. F. Mk VII Spit .
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 07:56:28 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Uolevi heinonen

• New Pilot
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 09:37:40 AM »
Sorry folks, I have not been on this forum for a long time. I have not flown my Pentland Spit since last year. I ran the engine at my backyard after the sand incident and it was still very erratic. Then I decided to wait for the winter and the usual half a metre of snow which is very useful for flying with unreliable engines. You can crash vertically art full bore with minor damage. But last winter here in Finland was the warmest ever and we only had 15 cm of snow at the most, so the I forgot the Spit and the only control line I have flown lately is with my small electrics. Now I'm wondering what this winter might bring....

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here