News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:07:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Grondal Nobler  (Read 5576 times)

Offline Neville Legg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Grondal Nobler
« on: July 27, 2010, 10:10:05 AM »
Hello one and all,

does anyone have a copy of the Paul Tupker re-draw, of the Grondal Nobler? I received a copy this morning, and can't work out what's going on regarding the spar taper and the tip rib?  ??? (if you have the drawing you'll see what I mean!) I assume its a drawing error? and you just taper the spar down to suit the tip rib? ;D Or has the tip rib been drawn to small? :o Mine has instructions in Flemish or Dutch!

Cheers    Neville
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 03:26:22 PM by Neville Legg »
"I think, therefore I have problems"

(not) Descartes

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Grondal Nobler
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 02:09:10 PM »
HI Neville,

I will take a look at my Tupker plans, ASAP.  I remember something strange out there, but just can't remember what............

I was able to talk with Mr. Louis Grondal before he passed away, several times.  he was a fine gentleman (and excellent flier!) and I have always wanted to build that model.  (which he referred to as the AMA Special)

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 01:54:52 AM »
Hello Bill, hope you are well? does the Grodal Nobler use the Nobler wing section? as it does taper down quite dramatically! have you used the Merco yet?

Cheers     Neville

(not) Descartes

Online Bill Hummel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 08:05:02 AM »
Bill and Neville, if you like the Grondal Nobler, check out Claus Maikis' website, and his version of a Grondal...magnificent! I'm dealing with some medical issues, can't get to my plans box to help you out with the Tupker drawings...sorry!
ama 72090

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 09:44:15 PM »
Hello Bill, hope you are well? does the Grodal Nobler use the Nobler wing section? as it does taper down quite dramatically! have you used the Merco yet?

Cheers     Neville

Hi Neville,

I am pretty sure that from the tip rib to tip rib it is straight '57 Nobler.  The wing tip plates are rather large. 

Look closely at the Tupker plans and you will see a '57 Top Flite Green Box Nobler kit there, just modified in the wing tips, tail shapes and fuselage top block, essentially, along with wing mounted gear......  Mr. Grondal told me that he built the AMA Special from a GB kit.  His other contest plane was a box stock GB Nobler.  He flew BOTH in the 1960 WC's.  The GB for the 2 FAI pattern flights and the AMA Special (Grondal Nobler) for the AMA pattern flight.  Both patterns were used in 1960 at the World's.   I'm sorry that I haven't gotten back on the plans, I have been off line since Thursday. 

I have not had a chance to run the Merco, but found a plane to use it in! Ken Taylor's Centuar.  Very nice looking upright engine from 1956.  A kit from the UK originally, but I got plans from a fellow on *your side of the pond*! LOL!!  Have you run the McCoy yet?

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 09:50:39 PM »
Bill and Neville, if you like the Grondal Nobler, check out Claus Maikis' website, and his version of a Grondal...magnificent! I'm dealing with some medical issues, can't get to my plans box to help you out with the Tupker drawings...sorry!

Hi Bill,

Peter White, out of Australia, sent me some picture a while back of his enlarged Grondal Nobler.  maybe 110% ??  I will have to find it, but I think it was lost in my computer crash of about 3 years ago.

I have seen the beautiful one that Claus built, it is a gorgeous plane. 

I am having real issues with what engine to use in mine.  After getting to know Mr. Grondal quite a bit, I really want to do mine as a tribute to him.  And putting a *new* super engine in it seems kinda wrong to me......  He used a Fox 35, of course! LL~ 

I have not gotten to see the one that was published last year in FM.  I wanted to do THAT airplane for FM since I had researched it so much, but found out that someone else (Leroy Black??) was building it, already. :'(

Hope to see you soon!
Bill
P.S.  the plans all arrived, safely.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 03:57:04 AM »
Bill, have you changed your e-mail address? Tried to PM you last night, kept getting bounced back to me!
By the way, Happy Birthday for today!   All the Best.

Neville

(not) Descartes

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 11:04:46 PM »
Bill, have you changed your e-mail address? Tried to PM you last night, kept getting bounced back to me!
By the way, Happy Birthday for today!   All the Best.

Neville

Hi Neville,

No change on the email.  It is as listed in my profile.  I see no problem on my plans, there is quite a large tip plate, but the wing, from the last normal tip rib back to the root is the same as a '57 GB Nobler as far as I can tell.  This correlates with what Mr. Grondal told me.

Bill

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 12:38:02 AM »
Hello Bill, the administrator won't let me E-mail you, can't work out what's going on there? ??? Can you E-mail me, and we'll try from there?
I'll photocopy the tip on the Grondal and scan it in so you can see what I mean!

Cheers   Neville

(not) Descartes

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 09:53:30 AM »
Hi Bill,

Still can't get through to you, it say's there's a problem with the the server, don't know what's going on?  ???

Cheers   Neville

(not) Descartes

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 01:20:31 AM »
Hi Bill,

Still can't get through to you, it say's there's a problem with the the server, don't know what's going on?  ???

Cheers   Neville

HI Neville,

I have no idea what is wrong there.  I just got an email from Wynn in the land down under. ;D

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dallas Hanna

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 10:35:13 PM »
Hello one and all,

does anyone have a copy of the Paul Tupker re-draw, of the Grondal Nobler? I received a copy this morning, and can't work out what's going on regarding the spar taper and the tip rib?  ??? (if you have the drawing you'll see what I mean!) I assume its a drawing error? and you just taper the spar down to suit the tip rib? ;D Or has the tip rib been drawn to small? :o Mine has instructions in Flemish or Dutch!

Cheers    Neville

Hi from OZ Neville.   Yes, Paul had a bit of a stuff up when he drew the spar.  It should of course be tapered to suit the rib taper.  The section is GB Nobler with the exception of the last couple modified to suit the rounded tips.

Not sure which Pic Bill is refering from Pete White but it coud have been one of the ones I built.  The first larger one I had was in 2000 at 115%, the next in 2008 was 118% (blue model fying), both powered with an MVVS 51 rear intake/rear exhaust and the last one (cream/red) which is 120% and is powered by a R & B 75.   A nice classic shape from the 60s!!

HH

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 01:13:29 PM »
Hello Dallas, they are lovely looking models, have you built one to original size, and what are they like to fly?
I thought it was a simple drawing error, so that's easily fixable ;D

Cheers    Neville

(not) Descartes

Offline Dallas Hanna

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 05:45:44 PM »
Would you believe that I've never built the original size one!  I got my Paul Tupker drawn plan from Steve Blake, UK, then of Maple Models at Bedford in 1976.  In the 60s I built a look a like one from a small drawing in Aeromodeller.   I actually have a set of ribs cut for an original size....... been there for 15 years!   Peter Angelberger from here in Adelaide, OZ has been flying one in classic for a couple of years and it does fly well.

There is another good plan over your way of the AMA Special.  Jim Rhodes sent me a copy a few months ago.  A very nice plan but I'm not sure who drew it.  It looks like a copy of one Bruno van Hoek from Holland showed on a Dutch forum a few years ago.   If you can't get a copy from over your way let me know and I'll send you a copy.  The writing is in either Dutch or French so it's definitely of European origin.

HH

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 02:53:18 PM »
Dallas,
I do have the Paul Tupker drawing that's how I found the spar goof! ;D My drawings are in Dutch or Flemish as a well.
Did you know that Steve Blake is running a guest house in France these days? I flew against him in the late 60's early 70's.

Cheers     Neville

(not) Descartes

Offline Dallas Hanna

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 09:00:39 PM »
Dallas,
I do have the Paul Tupker drawing that's how I found the spar goof! ;D My drawings are in Dutch or Flemish as a well.
Did you know that Steve Blake is running a guest house in France these days? I flew against him in the late 60's early 70's.

Cheers     Neville

Yes.  I last caught up with Steve (Second Hand Steve!) at the British nats in 2000.  He had a trade stand there that year.  I went looking for him in 2006 and that's when I found he'd gone to France.

PM your address and I'll send you a copy of the other plan if you like.

HH

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2010, 02:25:56 AM »
Cheers Dallas, I will send you my address via E-mail, that's very nice of you! I have some British drawings to swap if you are interested in any particular model?
Steve Blake was helpful chap, I was about 15 years old, at the Finchley (North London) C/L gala, and he was judging stunt that day, after I landed from a very tatty flight, he came over and gave me some advice, which did help, for the next flight.

Cheers   Neville

(not) Descartes

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2010, 11:47:54 AM »
HI Neville,

It *seems* the email has worked! LOL!!  I guess you got my replies.......

I am pretty dense at times. I have never noticed the problem you are talking about on the Tupker plans.  maybe I just didn't see a problem?  I have to admit I have not looked at mine recently.  the basement got a flood from the record setting rains we had recently.  Got to scoop out the water so that I can get around with out squishy feet! LOL!!

Dallas is spot on with his enlarged AMA Specials.  I believe one of those are the pictures Peter sent me.  I do have the World Championship pictures saved (I HOPE!).

Mr. Grondal seemed honestly humble that anyone even remembered him and the plane.  A heart attack unfortunately took him too soon.  Being a model that won the first ever official FAI World Championships, and getting to talk with Mr. Grondal, I have always wanted to build it.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Jim Rhoades

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 10:48:27 PM »
The plan that Dallas got from me says designed and drawn by Louis Grondall himself.  I have gone the other route from Dallas and scaled the plan down 67% for an AP Wasp engine.  I will build this for the Leprechaun event that they fly in the Los Angeles area.  A "Leprechaun is a classic legal design flown in their 1/2 A stunt event.  They allow up to .061 engines.  They have a prize for the best "Leprechaun" in the event.

Hopefully, I'll get this and a full size G N built sometime soon.  It has classic good looks.  I had Eric Rule lazer cut me Nobler rib sets in both sizes for the main part of the wings.  Saves a lot of work.

Jim Rhoades

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 10:57:13 PM »
Hi Jim,

Good luck with both of the Grondal "AMA Specials". ;D  Louis called his "Nobler" that, never a Grondal Nobler. ;D

Louis told me he built the first one from a '57 Top Flite Green Box Nobler kit, and the plans I have (Paul Tupker) show parts that are the same as the kit's except for his mods.  He told me it was easier to do that than get wood etc,. where he lived at that time.  I had put off building mine until I felt I had the time to really do one right.  It is a model that is very special to me since I got to talk with Mr. Grondal at length several times about his model before his passing.  Plus it was the winner of the first two official FAI stunt World Championships.  In 1960 he actually flew a regular GB Nobler for two flights (the FAI pattern) and then the AMA Special for the AMA pattern which was one flight to win the Championship.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2010, 02:16:48 PM »
Hello Bill, the administrator won't let me E-mail you, can't work out what's going on there? ??? Can you E-mail me, and we'll try from there?
I'll photocopy the tip on the Grondal and scan it in so you can see what I mean!

Cheers   Neville

My guess is that your computer settings are not correct for using MicroSofty's email scheme. Mine was, once, but it is not, anymore. I suggest that you copy and paste email addresses into whatever email system you normally use. It'll probably be faster, too.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2010, 10:32:43 PM »
HI Steve,

Neville and I got it all worked out. ;D  We have exchanged numerous emails since then.  y1

Thanks!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2017, 06:18:44 PM »
far out and groovey .  :-\

Offline RogerGreene

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2017, 08:47:33 PM »
Hey Matt, where did you find this plan?

Roger
Fly Stunt <><
AMA 435R
USAF Veteran 1962-66 SAC
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it. FAA #FA3RFLPAN7

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2017, 07:26:19 PM »
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Louis-Grondal-Nobler-plan-set/152828267136?hash=item2395464a80:g:jHoAAOSwi0RX0BkW

click & click & click .
On the Picture , & on the picture , & on the picture .
and youll have it full screen .

Dunno who drew it or how authentic .
same turkeys got the 97 Bear 46/60 drg.

Offline builditright

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • So happy to be alive!
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2018, 01:37:56 PM »
I realize his is an older post but this one has been
in the works for awhile now, so if anyone is interested
in the Grondal Nobler send me an email.

Though my kit of this is not quit ready I do believe I can
try to get some parts to get a model started
Thank you and God Bless
Walter
aka/ builditright

Offline Dallas Hanna

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2018, 05:42:16 AM »
Hey Matt, where did you find this plan?

Roger

May be of some use.  Printing a little fuzzy.

HH

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here