News:

• April 19, 2024, 03:44:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Goldberg Shoestring question  (Read 2633 times)

Offline gene poremba

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Goldberg Shoestring question
« on: June 02, 2018, 05:32:10 AM »

I am attending an event here in NC that is for vintage type models, R/C, Free Flight, and C/L.  My question about the Shoestring is, when was it originally kitted by Carl Goldberg? My plans are long gone, and i'd like to include a date on the placard attached to my Shoestring. I searched for several hours off and on trying to find a date and could only find dates where guys who flew them as kids remember owning and flying one back in the mid 60's. I'd like to get a more accurate date possibly off a set of plans or a magazine article. Thanks for any help.....Gene

Offline gene poremba

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Goldberg Shoestring question
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 06:43:08 AM »

OK, I answered my own question! I looked thru all my older magazines and found an announcement from" Carl Goldberg Models Inc" for their " new shoestring stunter"  On page 42 of the Febuary-March 1961 Flying Models magazine in the "whats cooking? forum. I posted this in case any body else is searching for this.....Gene

Offline TigreST

• TigreST
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 02:21:00 PM »
Gene,
A  link for plans if you so desire to have them printed out.  It states 1962 as date.  There is also the 54" RC version by Goldberg available there on Outerzone.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6873

Cheers,

T.
Tony Bagley
Ontario, Canada

Offline gene poremba

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 03:18:16 PM »

Thank you for the link to Outerzone. When I went there I see they are using a picture I took a few years back of my own Shoestring! Any way, thanks again.....Gene

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 09:15:43 PM »
   I thought it came out in the mid to late 50's. It is credited with keeping Carl Goldberg in business! With the success of the Shoestring, he followed up with the Buster and Cosmic Wind, and then a series of rubber powered models. He built the rest of his business from there. It's explained a bit in Thornburg's "Do You Speak Model Airplane."
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline gene poremba

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 02:04:04 PM »

Dan, you got me investigating again! I googled" Carl Goldberg " and the AMA biography of him came up. Hers what I found so far,   Opened hobby shop in 1935 and designed the Valkyrie
            After several yrs went to work for Comet as chief designer & designed comet Clipper and Zipper Stayed there 6yrs
            1947 worked under the name of Top Flite produced Zing, Cumulus, Trainer, Rascal, & a dozen Jig time kits
            1955 went into business for himself." Carl Goldberg Models" designed $1.00 kits & Later came Blazer, Ranger, &
              Swordsman. Biography states that Carl Goldberg Models were on there way when he produced the Shoestring.

The earliest advertisement I have so far is the 1961 Febuary-March issue of Flying Models. I'll keep searching to
            try and find an earlier date. I have a friend that has an original kit and possibly there may be a date on them. Any
            one with a more concrete date please let me know. Gene

Offline gene poremba

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 03:34:22 AM »

UPDATE,  I continued looking thru my collection of magazines for any more information that I could find on the Shoestring Stunter, and here's what I came up with. In the 1961 June-July issue on page 28 of Flying Models They did a one page article on a, " look see", " Carl Goldbergs latest offereing", the 42" Shoestring Stunter. It has a picture of the entire kit punched out and an extensive article about it. It also states that Carl "thoroughly designs and tests his aircraft". I take that to say that it has been flown and tested before the kit has been released, which appears to be what the 1961 Febuary-March FM article stated. So, the Shoestring Stunter by Carl Goldberg Models was released as a kit in early 1961....Gene

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 01:41:14 AM »

UPDATE,  I continued looking thru my collection of magazines for any more information that I could find on the Shoestring Stunter, and here's what I came up with. In the 1961 June-July issue on page 28 of Flying Models They did a one page article on a, " look see", " Carl Goldbergs latest offereing", the 42" Shoestring Stunter. It has a picture of the entire kit punched out and an extensive article about it. It also states that Carl "thoroughly designs and tests his aircraft". I take that to say that it has been flown and tested before the kit has been released, which appears to be what the 1961 Febuary-March FM article stated. So, the Shoestring Stunter by Carl Goldberg Models was released as a kit in early 1961....Gene
Thanks for the information.  Getting back into the saddle 2 years ago this was the first thing I built.  Probably had this kit sitting on the shelf in a closet for 30 years  I don't know if this would be a common trait, but wood quality was noticeably superior to either of the Sterling kits Ive messed with since then, including a third Sterling (P-51 w/ flaps) that I looked at and just put back on the shelf, it was that bad.

I had wondered what the vintage of the design was.  Seems it was intended as a rival to the Ringmaster.  Wish it was OTS legal.

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 07:19:05 AM »
I am attending an event here in NC that is for vintage type models, R/C, Free Flight, and C/L.  My question about the Shoestring is, when was it originally kitted by Carl Goldberg? My plans are long gone, and i'd like to include a date on the placard attached to my Shoestring. I searched for several hours off and on trying to find a date and could only find dates where guys who flew them as kids remember owning and flying one back in the mid 60's. I'd like to get a more accurate date possibly off a set of plans or a magazine article. Thanks for any help.....Gene
I was given one for my birthday in March of 1962 according to my "not so reliable" memory. So it most likely was released in 1961.  Loved that airplane.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here