News:

• May 08, 2024, 04:14:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Formula S  (Read 7477 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Formula S
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2011, 09:33:24 PM »
We've finally got a couple of Aero Tiger .36's running here in the NW, and I'm VERY impressed. Excellent starting on the wheels and lots of well controlled power. I believe both (McClave and Peterson) are running tongue mufflers and muffler pressure and the 10.6 x 4.5 "Magic" prop that Randy Aero sells for it. Highly recommended!  H^^ Steve

Hi Steve,

The Aero Tiger .36 is the very best engine in that "size" that I have ever run across.  They will easily power the "Classic" size planes up to around 600sq.in. or so.  Mine seem stronger than the good .40FPs that I have.  I have been using an 11-4 Bolly prop on mine.  I have a couple of Billy's original 10-1/2X4-1/2 undercamber that I got for the AT .36 but haven't tried them yet.  My AT .36 are all strong engines!  Plus they are easy to start and I don't have to mess with the needle hardly ever.  They basically run just like the bigger PA engines.

The Magnum .36XLS is a good engine for our purposes, but the AT .36 is better, IMHO.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2011, 11:36:36 AM »
I'm partial to the PA 40UL for this sort of application. It's what's going in my new classic plane at least.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2011, 01:28:14 PM »
I'm partial to the PA 40UL for this sort of application. It's what's going in my new classic plane at least.

HI Randy,

Unfortunately I don't have a PA .40UL........... :'(  Several PA engines, .40s, .51s, .61s, but no ULs.

Still I have a good bunch of good running engines so it is usually a matter of just deciding on which one to use.  Used to be that I only had a couple engines, now the number has grown exponentially!  Don't have a clue as to how that happened. ;D

Aaron and I have Genesis models in the cue for building next.  His is the Genesis .40 (1980) and will have a PA .40 with can muffler.  Mine is the Genesis .46 (WC plane) and will have a PA .51 w/can muffler.  Just wish I had of been more able to get more PAs!  When I finally got to the point of having a "little" spending money for the hobby, they were out of production........ now, with unknown hospital expenses, and more to come, I have to slow down on spending! LL~  But, I cannot live long enough to build models that will use up my engine inventory.  Think I can make it to about 120 and still be active? LL~ LL~

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2011, 11:23:39 PM »
Talking with Alfadawg, he recommended the ST .46.  Eddy also recommends the ST .46.

So, do I use a late model ST .46 (muffler ears) or the earlier ".29 case" .46?  The latter being a touch lighter, but both are basically the same run.  I do have a new .29/.46 that Randy set up that's looking for a home!  What's the popular opinion?

Thanks
Big Bear

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Jeff Prosser

• Ensign
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2011, 11:30:02 PM »
Hi
I have finally finished my Formula S but have not yet flown it.   Waiting for a calm day.  I tried to post a photo but it is rejected.  It says it's the file size but I think it's OK.  Will try later.

Jeff Prosser

Offline Jeff Prosser

• Ensign
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2011, 11:32:33 PM »
Another attempt at the photos.

Offline Jeff Prosser

• Ensign
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2011, 11:50:43 PM »
That's better - here's another one.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2011, 03:25:07 PM »
Very Nice!
AMA 7544

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2011, 04:28:53 PM »
Hi
I have finally finished my Formula S but have not yet flown it.   Waiting for a calm day.  I tried to post a photo but it is rejected.  It says it's the file size but I think it's OK.  Will try later.

Jeff Prosser

Hi Jeff,

Any word on flying the Formula S? ;D  Waiting to hear!

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Jeff Prosser

• Ensign
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2011, 04:35:46 AM »
Hi Bill
The weather was cooperative at last and I had my first flights with the Formula S today.  I am using an LA46 in it and it weighs 50 oz.  I am very pleased with the way it flys.  It is very stable and snaps the square turns beautifully.  The wing has a slight warp but the effect is not that significant when flying and will be negated by using the flap extension as a trim tab.  I have a Vector, also with an LA 46 and weighing 50 oz, and I think this model is better than the Vector, especially in the square corners.   
To be fair to the Vector, the only issue I have with it is the square corners and I think this is largely my fault as I am too rough with it and bang it through - I need some finesse in my flying (I'm trying).  I discovered that the handle I used for the Formula S has a much closer line spacing (about 20 mm closer) so this probably helped with the corners.  I will use this handle with the Vector and see what effect it has.   
Anyway I am very happy with it.

Jeff

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2011, 12:13:08 PM »
Hi Bill
The weather was cooperative at last and I had my first flights with the Formula S today.  I am using an LA46 in it and it weighs 50 oz.  I am very pleased with the way it flys.  It is very stable and snaps the square turns beautifully.  The wing has a slight warp but the effect is not that significant when flying and will be negated by using the flap extension as a trim tab.  I have a Vector, also with an LA 46 and weighing 50 oz, and I think this model is better than the Vector, especially in the square corners.   
To be fair to the Vector, the only issue I have with it is the square corners and I think this is largely my fault as I am too rough with it and bang it through - I need some finesse in my flying (I'm trying).  I discovered that the handle I used for the Formula S has a much closer line spacing (about 20 mm closer) so this probably helped with the corners.  I will use this handle with the Vector and see what effect it has.   
Anyway I am very happy with it.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the report!  Seems most everyone that has one likes it.  I will be using a Randy Smith small case ST G.21/.46 (early version) he made up for me last year.  It is almost an ounce lighter than the regular ST .46.

I have the Lost Foam fixture from Bobby to use and those wings just build so good. ;D  And with Jim's corrections it will be authentic.  I was first intending to use a "McGAS" .40 (George Aldrich McCoy .40RH conversion) in it but the ST will turn a little better prop.

Good Luck with yours!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Jeff Prosser

• Ensign
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2011, 05:12:30 PM »
Good Luck with your's too Bill.  I'm sure you will be happy with it.  Using the ST46 will be best as I think a 40 size motor would not be quite enough for it. I expect your ST46 is a lot lighter than an LA46 !
I have heard of lost foam construction but I'm not sure what it is exactly.  Could you give me a brief explanation.  Is it heavier or lighter or stronger than spars and ribs ?
Thanks
Jeff

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2011, 05:31:31 PM »
Good Luck with your's too Bill.  I'm sure you will be happy with it.  Using the ST46 will be best as I think a 40 size motor would not be quite enough for it. I expect your ST46 is a lot lighter than an LA46 !
I have heard of lost foam construction but I'm not sure what it is exactly.  Could you give me a brief explanation.  Is it heavier or lighter or stronger than spars and ribs ?
Thanks
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Basically you build a built up balsa wing using a foam wing as templates.  Cut a normal foam wing core set, then cut the cores at each rib station.  Then you have a perfect template to cut a rib from.  The cradles are marked where the ribs go and you build the wing in the cradles.  About as perfect as it can get.  Bob Hunt developed it and has systems for sale through Robin's View Productions.  He also has bucks to use to form leading edges so that part is made really simple.  No shaping of leading edges!

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2011, 06:26:38 PM »
Jim would be so proud...BEEEEUUUUUUTTTTTFUL tribute model...great to hear that it flies as good as it looks.
Those of us who were standing outside the circle in the staging area....watching JIM CUT THROUGH THAT STRONG KANSAS SUMMER WINDS were not surprised that he more than deserved that 2nd place win! (Actually many of us thought that Jim had 1st place NAILED DOWN.)

THANKS FOR SHARING THESE PHOTOS WITH US.

Gee...Gads that was a long time ago? WOW!

In those early daze days...I was addicted to Bob Gialdini's beautiful Sting Rays....SO A WORD OF CAUTION! NEVER FORGET TO WARN YOUR LAUNCH PIT CREW FOLKS....not to "STAB" N SNAG THEIR SLEVES, PANTS CUFFS OR JACKETS ON THOSE SNAPPY LITTLE ANTENNA PROBS THAT ALWAYS SEEM TO GET IN THE WAY FOR BOTH MY STING RAYS...AND KOSTECKY'S CLPA MODELS! ~^ LL~ :o
Don Shultz

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2011, 05:47:51 PM »
Good point there, Donny. I really like the looks of this design, but I think I would have to leave those little doodads off the tips of the tail feathers. They'd get broken off anyway, probably sooner, rather than later...  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Jeff Prosser

• Ensign
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2011, 08:24:54 PM »
Hi Steve
I agree, the little 'dodads' could get broken off and I was concerned about it so I made them from 1 mm ply with balsa each side so they would be a little stonger, but not too heavy.  Now the model is built I find that they do not get in the way too much. I think its because they fase forward and if you bump a model while handling it it's ususally the extremities that get damaged.   Anyway, if they weren't there it wouldn't really be a Formula S would it ..... :-)

Cheers
Jeff

Online James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2011, 08:41:28 PM »
Hi Steve
I agree, the little 'dodads' could get broken off and I was concerned about it so I made them from 1 mm ply with balsa each side so they would be a little stonger, but not too heavy.  Now the model is built I find that they do not get in the way too much. I think its because they fase forward and if you bump a model while handling it it's ususally the extremities that get damaged.   Anyway, if they weren't there it wouldn't really be a Formula S would it ..... :-)

Cheers
Jeff
The point on the top of the rudder broke on my Formula S within 50 flights or so (my flying buddy launched and the point caught his finger between the skin and his wedding ring breaking off).  I was relieved that it didn't draw blood.  They look very cool but can be a pain.

James
AMA 491167

Offline Jeff Prosser

• Ensign
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
Yes, the one on the fin is the most vulnerable.   I can't lay the model flat on the bench without support because the model rests on the cockpit and the point on the fin .  I have to support it on foam or similar which is probably better anyway.

Jeff

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here