News:

• March 28, 2024, 09:43:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: F-86 Sabre build  (Read 53700 times)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: F-86 Sabre build
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2019, 09:28:09 PM »

Lookin' good Clint, really enjoying watching the progress, please keep the pics coming!  ;D
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2019, 09:11:11 PM »
Finally got some time to get silver paint on it. Now I just have to do all the crazy graphics.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2019, 11:16:47 AM »
Finally got some time to get silver paint on it. Now I just have to do all the crazy graphics.

Way cool, looks great!

I see you're using the blue masking and vinyl striping tapes, both are great and I use them a ton. I know you know your game, but if you haven't tried the yellow Frogtape find some and give it a try too, it's EXCELLENT stuff. You can kind of see through it which is handy in certain situations and it leaves a perfect edge on your paint lines. I usually find mine at the local Sherwin Williams store.

Wayne Willey

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2019, 08:30:59 PM »
Way cool, looks great!

I see you're using the blue masking and vinyl striping tapes, both are great and I use them a ton. I know you know your game, but if you haven't tried the yellow Frogtape find some and give it a try too, it's EXCELLENT stuff. You can kind of see through it which is handy in certain situations and it leaves a perfect edge on your paint lines. I usually find mine at the local Sherwin Williams store.

I'll check it out. There is a Sherwin Williams store fairly close by and I need more tape anyway.
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2019, 10:13:03 PM »
I'll check it out. There is a Sherwin Williams store fairly close by and I need more tape anyway.

Don't waste your money on the green Frogtape though, it's crap for our purposes.

Wayne Willey

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2019, 11:21:02 PM »
The Frog tape (the yellow stuff) is at Lowes and Ace.  I have not checked at Home Depot.

Good stuff.  Leaves a clean edge, paint does not seep beneath it, and it can be left on the surface for extended periods without leaving residue.

Keith

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2019, 11:59:57 PM »
Don't waste your money on the green Frogtape though, it's crap for our purposes.

No, I won't. Already tried the green and was not impressed.

The Frog tape (the yellow stuff) is at Lowes and Ace.  I have not checked at Home Depot.

Good stuff.  Leaves a clean edge, paint does not seep beneath it, and it can be left on the surface for extended periods without leaving residue.

Keith

Thank you Keith. That's what we're looking for.
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2019, 04:12:13 PM »
I use the 3M fine line masking tape quite a bit. The blue with orange print is best for a very fine line.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2019, 09:25:34 PM »
I use the 3M fine line masking tape quite a bit. The blue with orange print is best for a very fine line.

Randy,

By 3M fine line do you mean their blue vinyl stuff? If so I also use that a lot, always keeping the various widths in my "inventory". I use the 3M blue masking with the orange print a ton too, in all widths.

For paint lines though, unless it's a task that requires my using the fine line vinyl, I always use the yellow Frogtape anymore. It's become my new favorite, even over the blue/orange masking. It seems slightly thinner (maybe?) than the blue/orange tape and I feel like it leaves an even better edge. The tackiness is also pretty much ideal, all in all it's very user friendly.

Wayne Willey

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2019, 11:09:04 PM »
Sneak peek.
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2019, 10:33:52 PM »
Get those stencils yet?  #^

No, and it's pissing me off. Waiting on the stencil checks for the Chipmunk tail, also.

However, doesn't really matter now. It's been over 100 deg here so don't have time to use them anyway.  ''
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2019, 08:38:24 PM »
 So, do we have to send out a "heavy" to go get those stencils?  mw~

Wayne Willey

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2019, 07:55:39 AM »
So, do we have to send out a "heavy" to go get those stencils?  mw~

Nah. He’s working on them. I went by his sign shop the other day.
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2019, 08:35:51 PM »
Nah. He’s working on them. I went by his sign shop the other day.

Did you explain to him that the whole world is out here waiting to see your progress?  :##

Anxious to see more on this one!

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2019, 09:10:14 PM »

Been quite some time here, what's the latest Clint?

Wayne Willey

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2023, 10:25:06 AM »
Been quite some time here, what's the latest Clint?

The latest is I’m just getting back into models after the passing of my dad, then my wife, and selling of my business.
This project got dropped like a hot stone. However, I picked it up the other day only to discover a couple things haven’t survived the passing of time just sitting on a bench. Both elevators have warped and I’m making new ones now. I’m no longer going to bother with the 1/8” lettering that was on the original. Just going to do the color scheme and clear it. The covering never got as drum tight as I like it to be, but it’s ok for flying. Maybe I hit it with some high shrink clear and see what happens.
Hard to believe started this about 8 years ago.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 10:45:08 AM by Clint Ormosen »
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2023, 05:49:28 PM »

Wow, very sorry to hear about the "real life" stuff Clint, hope you're doing better and it's great to see you back here.

Wayne Willey

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2023, 08:45:01 PM »
Thanks guys. Feels good to be back in the shop. Of course I had to spend a day cleaning and organizing but it’s good to go. I need to get busy. LOTS of airplanes to build!
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2023, 05:56:19 AM »
Like I mentioned, the elevators had warped a bit so I opted to make some new ones.
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2023, 06:08:26 AM »
Playing with image resizing to get them on here.
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2023, 06:10:55 AM »
Playing with image resizing to get them on here. Trying to find the optimal posting size.
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2023, 06:20:31 AM »
More playing with the resizer. The plan hanging on the wall is Randy Smith’s Evolution.
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2023, 01:24:08 PM »
How's it going on this one Clint?

My painting masks shipped today so I’ll get the letters/numbers on it then clear coats.
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2023, 06:35:20 AM »
Actually Bob built three F-86 Sabre Jets. The one Clint is reprising was the first one, and I watched Bob fly it at every local contest in 1969, and at the Nats. He won every meet he entered that year with the F-86, and he called his shot before the contest year began. He declared even before he flew the Sabre for the first time that he was going to win the Nats that year. Amazing!

Bob followed up with a larger version of the Sabre that was built around a Shark 45 wing. It had a Fox 59 for power and it did not live up to Bob's expectations, but he still finished fourth at the Nats with that ship.

Bob's third Sabre was built around 1972, and it was again a 35-size ship. When Bob took that plane to Flushing Meadow park to test fly it, Gene Schaffer was also there testing his third Stunt Machine. Gene's was having a lot of trouble getting the Stunt Machine to trim properly and - as he was prone to do - just started a wingover on one flight and decided to just not pull out. The Stunt Machine hit the asphalt dead vertical at speed and the engine was catapulted into the air. It landed right on Bob's new Sabre! Fortunately there was minimal damage, but Bob was furious. He had to make a new flap for that plane, and I don't recall seeing it fly at any contests after that. It may have, as my memory is a bit fuzzy after 51 years... I do remember that the third Sabre was just flawless in build quality and finish; just like all of Bob's airplanes!

Later - Bob Hunt

« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 06:01:19 AM by Bob Hunt »

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2023, 09:31:56 AM »
Actually Bob built three F-86 Sabre Jets. The one Clint is reprising was the first one, and I watched Bob fly it at every local contest in 1969, and at the Nats. He won every meet he entered that year with the F-86, and he called his shot before the contest year began. He declared even before he flew the Sabre for the first time that he was going to win the Nats that year. Amazing!

Bob followed up with a larger version of the Sabre that was built around a Shark 45 wing. It had a Fox 59 for power and it did not live up to Bob's expectations, but he still finished fourth at the Nats with that ship.

Bob's third Sabre was built around 1972, and it was again a 35-size ship. When Bob took that plane to Flushing Meadow park to test fly it, Gene Schaffer was also there testing his third Stunt Machine. Gene's was having a lot of trouble getting the Stunt Machine to trim properly and - as he was prone to do - just started a wingover on one flight and decided to just not pull out. The Stunt Machine hit the asphalt dead vertical at speed and the engine was catapulted into the air. It landing right on Bob's new Sabre! Fortunately there was minimal damage, but Bob was furious. He had to make a new flap for that plane, and I don't recall seeing it fly at any contests after that. It may have, as my memory is a bit fuzzy after 51 years... I do remember that the third Sabre was just flawless in build quality and finish; just like all of Bob's airplanes!

Later - Bob Hunt

I have one of Walter Umland's kits for the Sabre stashed away . The second one using a Shark.45 wing gets me curious. Is that the model in the bottom picture?  I have never run a Fox .59 so not sure of what the power is like on that one. I'm thinking that maybe some better power in the nose might help out in that department?? Any idea of ot was the long shaft or short shaft? I have a couple of the short shaft engines, but I would lean toward ST G-.51  or ST.60.

Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2023, 10:20:17 AM »
Hi Dan:

Yup, the Fox 59 (not sure if it was long shaft or short...) was anemic to be sure. That airplane did not see too much service, but he did also fly it at one team selection with just so-so results. He retired not too long after that for many years.

I would think that a PA 61 side or rear would be good for that plane. You know that I would electrify it in a heartbeat with a BadAss 3515-710 or 580 motor and a 6S Li Poly or Li Ion battery and an active timer system. That would be killer. I think the airframe was perfectly good, the power not so much. But, it was certainly beautiful!

Bob 

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2023, 07:19:24 AM »
Hi Dan:

Yup, the Fox 59 (not sure if it was long shaft or short...) was anemic to be sure. That airplane did not see too much service, but he did also fly it at one team selection with just so-so results. He retired not too long after that for many years.

I would think that a PA 61 side or rear would be good for that plane. You know that I would electrify it in a heartbeat with a BadAss 3515-710 or 580 motor and a 6S Li Poly or Li Ion battery and an active timer system. That would be killer. I think the airframe was perfectly good, the power not so much. But, it was certainly beautiful!

Bob

It's been a while since I have read the article, but if I'm remembering correctly, Larry Scarinzi designed the Blue Angel around the Fox.59, did he not? It was a typical story where he lost a model a couple of months before the NATS and needed a new stunt model in a hurry. Steve Smith has Walt Brownell's electric version of the Blue Angel and as I look at it sitting on the ground and in the air, I just can't imagine a .59 in it. Most others I have seen have a .46 of some flavor in them, and the airfoil isn't the thickest I have ever seen either. But I love the look of the airplane and it's biggest attraction is I wouldn't have to come up with a paint scheme!!  I can remember seeing the Blue Angels fly the Grumman F-11 Tiger and it's still my favorite BA aircraft. I don't think I have ever been around a Fox.59 to see or hear one run. I have a couple but just never had the proper project for one. Comparing the BA to that third version on the Sabre, the Sabre does look pretty big. Like the late, great Walt Mooney said, "So many airplanes and so little time!."

Type at  you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2023, 12:47:38 PM »
    It's been a while since I have read the article, but if I'm remembering correctly, Larry Scarinzi designed the Blue Angel around the Fox.59, did he not? It was a typical story where he lost a model a couple of months before the NATS and needed a new stunt model in a hurry. Steve Smith has Walt Brownell's electric version of the Blue Angel and as I look at it sitting on the ground and in the air, I just can't imagine a .59 in it. Most others I have seen have a .46 of some flavor in them, and the airfoil isn't the thickest I have ever seen either. But I love the look of the airplane and it's biggest attraction is I wouldn't have to come up with a paint scheme!!  I can remember seeing the Blue Angels fly the Grumman F-11 Tiger and it's still my favorite BA aircraft. I don't think I have ever been around a Fox.59 to see or hear one run. I have a couple but just never had the proper project for one. Comparing the BA to that third version on the Sabre, the Sabre does look pretty big. Like the late, great Walt Mooney said, "So many airplanes and so little time!."

Type at  you later,
    Dan McEntee
You have to put the size and power selection into perspective.  In 1964 the dominant motor was the Fox 35 and most planes were 50-52" spans.  Here comes Larry with a .59 powered 56" plane.  It looked so big next to everything else there.  If the stories are true, I saw it's maiden flight and was quite impressed.  I felt, all things considered he should have won.  Best pattern IMHO at the time (I was a senior) was Mathis but best overall presentation was Larry.  Navy judges did not agree with my assessment! 

Ken

Fast forward to today and 56" would most likely be the smallest wingspan in the lineup and the .59 the smallest motor. 
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2023, 09:45:41 PM »

So....what's the latest Clint?  ;)

Wayne Willey

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2023, 03:38:25 AM »
Dan,
Charlie Reeves used to have a DeBolt Old Timer with a Fox 59 we saw quite a bit in the 90's, Stuntwagon?  I recall it was loud and ran pretty steady, very Old Time! Randy Cuberly had a Blue Angel that was really nice and flew great with a blue LA 46 (went great with the paint scheme), I was sold on the LA after that.
Chris...

Type at  you later,
    Dan McEntee

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2023, 08:40:43 AM »
Dan,
Charlie Reeves used to have a DeBolt Old Timer with a Fox 59 we saw quite a bit in the 90's, Stuntwagon?  I recall it was loud and ran pretty steady, very Old Time! Randy Cuberly had a Blue Angel that was really nice and flew great with a blue LA 46 (went great with the paint scheme), I was sold on the LA after that.
Chris...

Yes, I remember Charlie flying that and I think he had a long shaft engine in that. I have one of Allen Brickhaus' Stuntwagons in my basement and he powered that with a ST.46. I have a couple of the short shaft engines I think, but applying a muffler might be problematic. I would most likely use the LA.46 or maybe even ST.51 if I thought that was necessary. So many airplanes and so little time!! ( A Walt Mooney quote")

Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here