News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:45:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ed Southwick Skylark Kit CG?  (Read 2802 times)

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Ed Southwick Skylark Kit CG?
« on: August 30, 2022, 02:50:08 PM »
Anyone tell me exactly where the balance point is on the Skylark? I had a formula but cant remember it

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Ed Southwick Skylark Kit CG?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2022, 07:22:53 PM »
   The article for the M.A.N. plans calls for balancing right on the spar, There are three different versions of this airplane and the story has been recounted on the forum before. Ed designed the model at one size, solld the rights to M.A.N. to publish and also to Sterling to kit it. The hsort story is that the model size got reduced much to ed's displeasure. I innocently asked Ed about the hiustory of the design when I got to meet him at VSC in the early 90's, and it was something that still bothered him deeply and I learned to not ask about that again. Kenn Smith kitted the airplane and Ed helped Boill Byles draw accurate plans for the Skylark and the eliptical wing version called The Lark. These models are larger that the Sterling version and I think there is a difference between the magazine plan and the Sterling kit, like there often was with kits in those days. RSM sells a kit that has accurate plans and parts to let you build any of these versions, I do believe. But the short answer to your question is balancing it right on the spar will get you started.
  Have fun!!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 07:22:19 AM by Dan McEntee »
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 10:53:00 PM »

But the short answer to your question is balancing it right on the soar will get you started.

Have fun!!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

"soar" = "spar" ?

Keith

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2022, 01:11:22 AM »
   The article for the M.A.N. plans calls for balancing right on the spar, There are three different versions of this airplane and the story has been recounted on the forum before. Ed designed the model at one size, solld the rights to M.A.N. to publish and also to Sterling to kit it. The hsort story is that the model size got reduced much to ed's displeasure. I innocently asked Ed about the hiustory of the design when I got to meet him at VSC in the early 90's, and it was something that still bothered him deeply and I learned to not ask about that again. Kenn Smith kitted the airplane and Ed helped Boill Byles draw accurate plans for the Skylark and the eliptical wing version called The Lark. These models are larger that the Sterling version and I think there is a difference between the magazine plan and the Sterling kit, like there often was with kits in those days. RSM sells a kit that has accurate plans and parts to let you build any of these versions, I do believe. But the short answer to your question is balancing it right on the soar will get you started.
  Have fun!!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
Thank you Dan!

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2022, 07:23:24 AM »
"soar" = "spar" ?

Keith

Fat fingers! My brains knows what letters to push but my fingers don't cooperate!
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2022, 05:39:33 PM »
Mine balances 8 1/8” forward of the flap hinge line and flies about right to me.
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2022, 08:15:39 PM »
Beautiful plane, Dave.
What engine?

Bob Z.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2022, 10:46:29 AM »
Beautiful plane, Dave.
What engine?

Bob Z.

Bob,
Sent you a message several weeks ago.
Keith

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 07:45:14 PM »
So very sorry Bob.  I don't think to get back here often.  It has an Enya .35- classic style 5224.  The plane flies very well.  Still working to get the perfect fuel and setup on the engine but Ill get there now the contest season is over for me.  I wanted to recreate the airplane on the kit box as much as I could.  Just the AMA number gives it away.  Though I've lost contact with him over the years, my uncle Bill Noyes in California owns or owned the original at one time.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here