News:

• March 29, 2024, 06:38:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Early Nobler with Open cockpit  (Read 1937 times)

Offline Jim Howell

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Early Nobler with Open cockpit
« on: March 23, 2019, 02:03:21 PM »
Question about early Noblers.  The Chief, Ty Marcucci, has told me that he thinks that one of George's early Noblers might have been configured with an open cockpit rather than the somewhat angular canopy that to me is the traditional look of George's Noblers.  I've gotten one of Tom Morris' electrified Noblers in bones.  Got a fair amount of work since I got it from Tom at his workshop before he really wanted to sell it. Anyway, since I can't leave things alone, I've got a wild hair to cut off the canopy, and convert it to an open cockpit look.  (I'll dodge the slings and arrows and hide behind the full-scale Flybaby that I've owned and flown for 30+ years.  I  just like open cockpits.)  When I told the Chief of my plan, that's when he said that he thought he'd seen a pic in an early '50's model mag of George's rendition that had the open cockpit.  What I'd really like to know is what/how George might have finished this version.  You know, colors, patterns and such.  If it weren't too complicated, I might try to finish mine up with an open cockpit and colors as a reminder of one of George's Noblers that might not have been blue.

Any info would be appreciated,
TIA,
Jim Howell
Jim Howell
Huntsville, AL  AMA 545805

Offline Jim Howell

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Early Nobler with Open cockpit
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 07:02:19 PM »
Look in the May 52 issue of MAN, sending photo you you via E-mail.  Too big for here
And, thank you Ty.  I got the scan.  Hopefully I can do something with it.  Didn't realize you had this issue.    #^

Jim
Jim Howell
Huntsville, AL  AMA 545805

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 12:50:48 PM »
I’d like to see a pic of this model.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 09:21:02 PM »
The nobler that Ty is talking about has more changes than just the open canopy.  I called and talked to George about it many years ago. It had a more rounded rudder and it was smaller at just under 500 sq”. Nose was also shorter. Also he did not use one to one controls. Wing offset was 1.25”. I drew up plans as he described it and he ok them but I never built it.  This conversation started when George was buying some very early Johnson motors off me. I met George a few times at FF contest in the 1960’s,1970’s🙀
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 02:20:46 PM »
I’d like to see a pic of this model.

Here you go  :o

Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here