Classic Designs > Classic Planes

Does anyone know this model and its creator?

<< < (2/2)

Jim Hoffman:
Joe Dill built a beautiful Crusader and teamed with Paul Walker at VSC March 2017 in Tucson .  Paul proxy flew the model in the contest. 

The airplane had retracts but were removed during the week in a weight saving exercise .  Paul flew the model which was heavier than one would wish as well possible and gave us a flight trimming lesson as well.  I recall some very low bottoms during a practice flight.

Paul Smith:

--- Quote from: Douglas Bykoff on January 22, 2023, 09:57:22 AM ---I received these uncredited photos of a model that I imagine is from the 60's. In addition to an unconventional design, this model has an aerodynamic/mechanical device. Has anyone seen it before?

--- End quote ---

I would guess that the device uses increasing airspeed to trigger the retraction of the landing gear, then decreasing airspeed to lower it.

The plane used a TD .010 as an air pump to work the landing gear.  The power taken from a Fox 35 Stunt for this purpose has always bothered me.  Maybe it only robbed power during retraction, then went into a free-wheeling mode.

Tom McClain:
I have built two crusaders and flew the first on up and down the east coast from the circle burners to Jacksonville when I was a member of NVCL.  I flew II to at the 2000 VSC.  Both have fixed grear and the first has a GMA ABC Fox 35 and the second has a OS 40 FP.  Both are great to fly and sun well.

Tom McClain:
Dennis Toth asked me how I got my GMA ABC Fox35s to run well.  I asked George Aldrich how to break in one of his engines and he said the following:  start it and get it running at a fast 4 cycle then hold the plane vertical and then lean the needle until the engine is screaming at the fastest 2 stroke it will do without sagging. Run it for one minute that way minimum and then richen it back to a fast 4 cycle horizontally and go fly.  That seats the piston and the tapered bore chrome cylinder to each other at the top of the squish band.  Worked perfect each time on my 4 GMA engines.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version