News:

• April 27, 2024, 04:53:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Differences Among "Ares" Designs??  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Rick Campbell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Differences Among "Ares" Designs??
« on: February 04, 2007, 02:09:00 PM »
Of the two  Ares that were actually  available to the public during the Classic era, (the Ambroid kit , and the one published in AAM after the '59 Nats win) are there differences other than the construction? I know the Ambroid kit used strip planking, and the AAM plans showed blocks.  Did Ambroid change anything else . . . aerodynamically, aesthetically?

I am aware of the differences in "actual" winning  model published a few years back. It's an entirely different animal from the ship sold to the public back in '59 or '60.

Many years ago I did scratch build an Ares from the Ambroid kit plan, but I've never seen the AAM plan.

Rick

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Differences Among "Ares" Designs??
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 07:01:35 PM »
Of the two  Ares that were actually  available to the public during the Classic era, (the Ambroid kit , and the one published in AAM after the '59 Nats win) are there differences other than the construction? I know the Ambroid kit used strip planking, and the AAM plans showed blocks.  Did Ambroid change anything else . . . aerodynamically, aesthetically?

I am aware of the differences in "actual" winning  model published a few years back. It's an entirely different animal from the ship sold to the public back in '59 or '60.

Many years ago I did scratch build an Ares from the Ambroid kit plan, but I've never seen the AAM plan.

Rick

HI Rick,

I have never had the "AAM" plans for the Ares, either.  I have had the Ambroid kit and still have those plans.  I would like to see the AAM plans myself.  Hopefully, the AAM plans are the same as Warren's.  If Ambroid had not tried to stiff Billy, we would have gotten the NATS winner back then! ;D  After flying the Ambroid and " '59 Ares", I would not build another Ambroid version.  BTW: Aaron saw the "real original NATS winning Ares" when he spent the night at Billy's several years ago.  AFAIK, it's still around.

Billy built a few Ares of that size.  Not sure of all the changes that he did to them, but he has told me of "re ribbing" some of them.  I have seen period photos of different versions.  Kinda like Steve Wooley's Argus which went through some changes.  The published one was not the same as the one Steve flew in the World Championships.

Basically, the Warren Tiahart plans of the '59 Ares (I guess that's the version Brodak's makes) is the best of the "small Ares", by a good bit.  Much better airfoil (although still fairly thin).  All the Ares MUST be built light for them to perform at their full potential.  It is one design where "lighter really IS better".

I hope to have a '62 Ares soon. ;D  With modern power, it appears to me to be the best of them all.  A *little* bigger, thicker airfoil, etc., and looks "aerodynamically" more "modern"  Billy just couldn't find a powerplant that he liked for it back then. 

The Super Ares is a whole 'nuther animal!

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 02:58:46 PM »
Did someone say Billy

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 10:25:20 AM »
Did someone say Billy

Hi Bob

I am sure that is the ARES  that had the  Bob Paul strange airfoil section muffler and  the  "Chainsaw" FOX 35, At one of the Middle Earth championships  we  were  laughing about that.... They also had a strange way of shooting cranks out the front of the airplane..
I'm sure that 25% nitro had nothing to do with that though!!

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here