Classic Designs > Classic Planes

Construction update, All American Eagle, my version.

(1/6) > >>

John Miller:
For those who might be interested, I've collected several pictures taken during the finishing stages, while building my version of Dave Gierke's All American Eagle.

My version is finished in the Navy Blue Angels trim. Gordan has decided not to do the Air Force Thunderbirds scheme, instead, he has chosen a rather an attractive trim of his own. When I get back over to take some pictures of his plane, I'll post them as well.

The first picture shows the plane with silkspan on the fyling surfaces.

Number 2 shows the flying surfaces after Monokote has been applied.

Number 3 shows the prep work for the painted finish on the fuselage.

Number 4 shows the finished color coats. At this point, she weighs in at 31.5 oz's.

Numbers 5 and 6, show the off shade of blue used for the lettering on the top of the wing. Since the Navy doesn't use any lettering on the top of the Blue Angles wings, I didn't want to draw too much attention to the top of my models wing. I still wanted to include the name of the plane, and the required AMA identification, so decided to use this method, I stole from another great modelor.

Number 7 shows the bottom of the plane. A helpful neighbor came by to do the holding duties.

So far, after weighing the rest of the parts to be added, it appears that finishe weight will be about 48 oz's. It will be powered by a Stalker .40RE. and use a plastic RC tank, set up for uniflow.

John Miller (PE**)

Crist Rigotti:
Looks good John.  In picture 2 where your putting on the fillets, do you have the Monokote run up to or underneath the fuse?  It looks like it ends before the fillets.  the plane in grey with the glazing putty all over looks very familiar!  Good luck with it.

John Miller:

--- Quote from: Crist Rigotti on February 17, 2007, 01:15:58 PM ---Looks good John.  In picture 2 where your putting on the fillets, do you have the Monokote run up to or underneath the fuse?  It looks like it ends before the fillets.  the plane in grey with the glazing putty all over looks very familiar!  Good luck with it.

--- End quote ---

The Monokote is cut with a pinking shear, and runs right up to the fuselage sides. I believe it was Allen Brickhaus who gave me that tip. I use epoxy and micro ballons to build the fillet, so the pinked edge allows a good glue joint and holds the edge of the 'Kote. I've never had a problem with the monokote next to the fuse using this method.

You see the blue masking tape I used to control where the epoxy ends on the wing. After the epoxy-micro ballons have cured, I move the tapeline out about 1/8", and sand the edge downhis maked for an almost seamless joint out onto the monokote, when using Lusterkote paint.

John. T

Crist Rigotti:
Thanks John.  I never thought of the pinking shears thing!

Bill Little:
HI John,

That is one SHARP looking airplane!  Fantastic job. y1

Now, lets hear a flight report soon! ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version