News:

• May 22, 2024, 12:25:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Classic Rule Thing  (Read 856 times)

Offline Hoss Cain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Classic Rule Thing
« on: August 03, 2009, 11:51:11 PM »
Just thinking about something as i saw this very old picture of mine. (Lost a bunch many years ago)

The model in question was built from a Veco Thunderbird kit, but since I have a picture dated '67, I could call it my own Thunk-er Birdy or such. Kinda' like all those derivatives of the Nobler but published and kitted with other names. No fights wanted so I will not name a dozen or so - might forget someone!  S?P

Since the model had a longer slimmer fuse than the kit, wing LG, and was a good stunter, I could build another and claim the pictured model as an original. I won three contests flying that model where the late George Aldrich was chief judge. Mind you, beating a Nobler with GA judging makes you feel like you actually won. 8)

So anyone wishing to explain all this stuff to me, please do so. 1973 until 2009 leaves me somewhat out of the know and I'm too old to learn quickly.  D>K

Thanks for your thoughts.
Horrace Cain
AMA L-93 CD and Leader
New Caney, TX  (NE Houston area)

Offline afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Classic Rule Thing
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 09:00:22 AM »
Nice pics! Thanks for sharing!
Looks like proper documentation to me.......

What is the stunter next to the van? #^
Nice looking scale model in background.
Is it a T-6??

Pics reminds me of packing up for the Willow Grove Nats in 69'. y1

"Tight Lines!"

Wes
Wes Eakin

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 09:19:02 AM »
If they are flying PAMPA rules you are in.  I think GSCB say different.  Looks great in the pictures.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 05:42:38 PM »
Hoss,

The Classic rules only require "reasonable" proof that the air plane existed during the Classic years or before. Your photos are "reasonable proof".

The GSCB only has slightly different airplane requirements for Old Time Stunt.
AMA 7544

Offline Hoss Cain

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 12:01:34 AM »
Thank You Guys for all the kind words.
Those old pictures were taken at Laredo AFB, TX where I spent my last 2  of 13 years those 2 being a T-38 Instructor Pilot. I was preparing to go to the USAF World Wide Model Airplane Contest. Those were some fun. Was in '67 as I left USAF in Feb. '68 and went to Chicago to fly for UAL.
There is a T-6 in the lot with K&B 23 Greenhead. 2 line scale for those days. The Stearman had 3 lines but it didn't work well. Had McCoy 35 with a kind of throttle on it.
The green machine was a Nobler that I had to build with GA judging all the contests in the San Antonio area. George did not like that I added some curves and trike gear. But it WAS a NOBLER and that gained a few points.

OHLGliders were a combination of Sweepetts, my favorite, and some other ideas of my own. Sweepettes ruled. I had good luck there. There was a rubber job, and a towline glider, neither could I ever fly well. The big Starduster won 1st at the C FF USAF event that year and I took it to Chicagoland and won a first at the Bong Field Chicago Aeronuts AAA FF in Sep. '69. I loved FF but those Midwest Corn Fields took their toll.  ''

The car was a '65 Mercury Park lane "4-door hardtop". The van was a typical airport thing. As personnel come and go, they buy a clunker, drive it a couple years, sell it to another incomer as they go out. In my time I did 3 like that. The VW was the only one I ever had that I couldn't see the road through the floor. FUNNY!

So back to topic and again thanks much for the answers. I have a couple of the Veco T-Bird kits so maybe one has a future. Well,  one Veco and one by someone else but it is Veco inside.
Horrace Cain
AMA L-93 CD and Leader
New Caney, TX  (NE Houston area)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here