News:

• May 23, 2024, 10:41:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ringmaster question  (Read 1796 times)

Offline John Cralley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Ringmaster question
« on: April 16, 2009, 03:44:33 PM »
This is probably a dumb question but, does anyone know when Sterling first marketed the Ringmaster S-1A (the one with top and bottom spars and sheeted leading edge wing)??

I'm wondering if it is Classic legal and/or Nostalgia 79. I know the S-1 (solid leading edge - no sheeting) should be legal for all three, OTS, Classic and Nostalgia 79.

John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
Re: Ringmaster question
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 05:44:49 AM »
Ty,

Thank you so much for finding this for me! This would make the S-1A Nostalgia 79 legal but NOT Classic.

You have walked the extra mile!!
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 06:54:15 PM »
OK, here is another related question. What is the "Stuntin Ringmaster .35 Pro" by Estes. Is this just the Estes version of the Sterling S-1A or was it different???
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 08:00:40 PM »
Hi John,

AFAIK, it was still the same kit when Estes bought them out.

Mongo
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 10:36:56 AM »
Thanks Bill,

Bill Gruby tells me that Estes informed him that Sterling did not release the rights to use the name Ringmaster when they took over and started making new kits. Therefore Estes used different (but similar) names for the Ringmasters including the S-1A. So the "Stuntin Ringmaster .35 Pro" is really just an S-1A Ringmaster kitted by Estes.
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 06:08:38 PM »
John's question is actually related to one I posed to him, I've been given a "Stuntin Ringmaster .35 Pro" kit plan and was asking him for any info he was aware of as I had not heard of it previously. It appears to be standard S1 proportions and does not have the leading edge sheeting shown for the S1-A. It has a diamond section LE and top/bottom spars rather than the single central spar as with the S1. Other differences are the Bellcrank location is inboard of the fuselage (Which suits me as it's going to be ECL so will not interfere with the battery location). Thanks for all the info and special thanks to John for taking the time to dig around for a Ringmaster novice and asking all the right people the right questions. :)

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Offline Jerry Reider

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 09:17:06 PM »
OK, here is another related question. What is the "Stuntin Ringmaster .35 Pro" by Estes. Is this just the Estes version of the Sterling S-1A or was it different???

I was just given an Estes Stuntin' Ringmaster kit and it has a 3/8 square leading edge with sheeting behind it and a top and bottom spar.  My first kit was an S1 Sterling RIngmaster and that had a solid leading edge and only one spar located in the center of the ribs.  I'm told that one spar in the center of the ribs adds virtually no strength to the wing but it is just something to glue the ribs onto.  I haven't built the Estes kit yet but I'm expecting it to be a better plane the the S1 because of having two spars.  Should make the wing more rigid.
Jerry

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 09:53:16 AM »
Estes first run of the 42" profile Ringmaster was part for part an exact duplicate of the original...notched LE & TE, etc. They also did this with the Ring Jr.. I spoke with Estes about this before they started the kits. If memory is correct they released 150 of each. Currel Patti was gracious enough to buy one in a shop near him and send it to me. The entire kit was A1...crisp die cutting (the ribs fell out of the sheet) and high wood quailty. The kits came in a generic plain jane white box. The pro versions came later. Trivia,
but if you find a white box estes ringmaster it is everything the orignal was plus perfect die cutting and contest grade wood.

Bill P.
Bill P.

Offline Jerry Reider

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 10:29:52 AM »
I am considering building a full fuselage and adding a half an inch each to the nose and tail to the Stuntin' Ringmaster.  I just scratch built a Super Combat Streak and I'm figuring I can pretty much duplicate the fuse and adjust for the correct wing and tail positions.  I'm thinking that the Ringmaster will fly much better with a full fuselage.  I know the SCombat Streak flies much better than a profile Flite Streak, I'm guessing the same will be true for the Ringmaster.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 08:36:10 PM by Jerry Reider »
Jerry

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 12:30:15 PM »
Jerry,
The Super Ringmaster is the full fuse version of the profile. In this case it wasn't an improvement as the kit was extremely heavy. Now RSM made a run of the kits with decent wood and re engineered some of the assembly to compensate for the lack of the origional L/E and a better canopy .The ultimate iterations are in my opinion the current stuff from Pat Johnston over at the Brotherhood of the Ring. You can find every size and type of Ringmaster that you want there including twins, bipes and full competition flap equipped machines.

http://www.brotherhoodofthering.info/

Offline Jerry Reider

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 08:38:53 PM »
Jerry,
The Super Ringmaster is the full fuse version of the profile. In this case it wasn't an improvement as the kit was extremely heavy. Now RSM made a run of the kits with decent wood and re engineered some of the assembly to compensate for the lack of the origional L/E and a better canopy .The ultimate iterations are in my opinion the current stuff from Pat Johnston over at the Brotherhood of the Ring. You can find every size and type of Ringmaster that you want there including twins, bipes and full competition flap equipped machines.

http://www.brotherhoodofthering.info/

Building the kit as it was designed is a lot easier anyhow, I'll go with that.
Jerry

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 09:43:21 AM »
Estes first run of the 42" profile Ringmaster was part for part an exact duplicate of the original...notched LE & TE, etc. They also did this with the Ring Jr.. I spoke with Estes about this before they started the kits. If memory is correct they released 150 of each. Currel Patti was gracious enough to buy one in a shop near him and send it to me. The entire kit was A1...crisp die cutting (the ribs fell out of the sheet) and high wood quailty. The kits came in a generic plain jane white box. The pro versions came later. Trivia,
but if you find a white box estes ringmaster it is everything the orignal was plus perfect die cutting and contest grade wood.
**************************************************************************************************************
Bill, can you tell me if this version had the 'pollywog' shaped ribs?

Bill P.

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 04:00:54 PM »
Mike, it does not have polywog ribs. Ringmasters had polywogs?
Bill P.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here