News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:32:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Classic 1/2A Planes?  (Read 3598 times)

Offline RK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Classic 1/2A Planes?
« on: November 15, 2018, 12:42:04 PM »
I would like to know if any 1 2 A planes are considered as Classic?

RK Flyer   H^^
If you come to a fork in the road,,,,Take it!

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Classic 1/2A Planes?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 07:59:09 AM »
Refresh my memory.  What's the cutoff for classic.

I think old magazines will reveal several kits available, although none will be competitive against BIG models.

But you could build a 15-size plane, like a Junior Nobler, with a modern 1/2A and have something better than would pass for a classic 1/2A.
Paul Smith

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 11:28:26 AM »
I would like to know if any 1 2 A planes are considered as Classic?

RK Flyer   H^^

There are several 1/2A designs prior to December 1970 that were published as 1/2A stunt ships.  Not many of these could be considered "serious" stunt designs in the sense similar to the capabilities of more "recent" designs like the Mathis Pinto or the Baron BareCat.  However, there are several that would make into a reasonably capable stunt ship.  Examples from the list below include the Envoy and the Spacebound.

There are others that would prove interesting using a highly offset engine or engines capable of using long to very long lines.  Examples below are the Charger and the Space-Liner (a twin).

Then, there are the small (.010 and .020 power) ultra lights that will do at least parts of the pattern on very short lines but the pilot might have to turn very fast on level flight.  (Those were interesting times.)

Here is what I have in my collection of 1/2A articles:

Blue Tail Fly by Vern Clements.  October 1956 Model Airplane News.  21" span, 105 sq in, for Thermal Hopper or Atwood/Wasp.

Cheshire Kitten by W.A. Pollard.  June 1958 Aeromodeller.  21" span

Charger by Jim Mayfield.  October 1970 American Aircraft Modeler.  30" span, about 180 sq in.  Interesting design - swept back wing with engine mounted in the LE of the wing near the center section with about 30o offset.  For a TD.  (Published on Oct, 70 but a case might be presented that the thing was actually designed prior to the Dec, 60 cutoff date for the PAMPA classic stunt rules.)

Draggin' by Jerry Peck.  August 1956 Model Airplane News.  22" span, about 140 sq in.  Flying wing.

Elf Cat by J.H. Bailey.  January 1959 Aeromodeller.  33" span, about 190 sq in.  Full fuselage.  Flaps.

Envoy by Edwin Hunt.  August 1964 Model Airplane News.  Attractive airplane.  Looks like a scaled  down full size stunter.  Dimensions uncertain but somewhere between 28"  and 30" span.  about 170 sq in.  Inverted cowled engine.

Firestrike by O. C. Povey.  December 1968 Aeromodeller.  delta wing.  13" span, 150 sq in.

Half-A Twin by Harold deBolt.  December 1951 Air Trails.  Twin Wasps.  26" span, about 150 sq in.  Profile fuselage.

Hopper by Ray Booth.  March 1959 Flying Models.    35" span about 220 sq in.  Plans show a Cub .099 but a Cox TD or Norvel would pull this just fine.  Good airfoil.  Could be built very light.

Jersey Bounce by Larry Scarinzi.  October 1958 Flying models.  22" span, 110 sq in.  Really a combat ship with a profile fuselage, lots of engine offset.

Liberty Bell by Charles Mackey.  September 1967 American Modeler.  A sheet wood flying pancake, will do a pattern with a Cox .010 on 15 to 20 foot lines.  (You need to understand that Charles could think outside of the box.)

Lil stingray by Harold Price.  Small twin boom  for Cox .020.  Weighs 1 oz.  Flies pattern on 20' lines.

Mighty Mouse by M. Kelly.  May 1953 Model Aircraft.  (From UK)  16" span, built up wing.  maybe 80 sq in.  Has flaps! Full fuselage  "Will do all the tricks on 30 ft lines."

Queen Bee by Larry Scarinzi.  June 1960 Model airplane news.  Bipe.  11" span, 65 sq in.  For the Cox .020 Babe Bee.  will do vertical eights on 15 foot lines.

Sharpoon by Keith Laumer.  November 1961 Aeromodeller.  36" span, 200 sq in.  Straight wing, no flaps. box fuselage, trike gear.

Spacebound by M. Constant.  August 1966 Aeromodeller.  33.5" span, about 200 sq in.  A "reduced" size Sirotkin Spacehound.  Full flaps, inverted cowled engine.

Spook by Wellington Way.  May 1959 Flying Models.  20" span, 90 sq in.

Strato-Liner by Carl Rosteen.  February 1957 Model airplane News.  about 25" span, about 140 sq in.Full fuselage wing and tail convfiguration.  Twin engine with one engine in nose, the second engine on outboard wing tip conted out 65o.  Shows two .049 McCoy Diesels.  Does a pattern on 200 ft lines!

Sweetheap by Ray Malmstrom.  September 1968 Aeromodeller.  22" span, 120 sq in.  Built up wing.  Profile fuselage.

Teenie Genie by Roy L. Clough, Jr.  October, 1955 Air Trails Hobbies for Young Men.  16" span.  80 sq in.  Built up wing.  Box fuselage.  Simple, light and will do the pattern.

Vedette by W.I. Barret.  July 1968 Aeromodeller.  30" span, aobut 180 sq in.  Full fuselage, flaps, trike gear.   Vee tail.

Wee One by Bernie Shulman  May-June 1967 Flying Models.  15" span, about 55 sq in.   Flaps!  built up fuselage.  for Cox .010 or .020.  15 foot lines.

Keith

Offline RK

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 03:32:36 PM »
 #^ Thanks for all the reply's and especially to Trostle for listing all those neat planes!!
My search for plans is on !

RK Flyer
If you come to a fork in the road,,,,Take it!

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 03:59:04 PM »
RK,

What are you planning to do? Build a neat, stunt-capable model? Or compete against the big boys with a little guy?

If you are looking to scratchbuild a neat model, then I have Scientific's Profile P-40 with 24" built-up symmetrical wing and their Profile Super Mustang, also with 25" built-up symmetrical wing. Both are from 1960-ish. Plans, decals, and patterns have been digitized...yours for the asking!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 05:29:44 PM »
Do you sell copies of those plans?    ???
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 07:38:01 PM »
Does who sell copies? Sir, not me. But I can email them.
When I built the P-40, I scanned it all. I crashed the model a few weeks back...tore the right wing off! Printed repair parts patterns (which printed full-size just fine), cut the wood, and she's all ready to get back in the wind.
PM if you want them.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 09:53:49 PM »
What about the Snapper? I think it is plenty old, and the one I have seen flies pretty darn good.

Dave

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 07:31:42 PM »
Ah, the Snapper! The first plane I ever flew. Got two whole laps before I tried a loop.  HB~>

I have an original kit and a replica done in 1/32” balsa to build “someday”.

Around the mid 90’s I had one powered by a Tee Dee .020 and scored 485 points in pretty windy conditions. Got a standing ovation for that flight.

Definitely one of my most favorite designs.  ;D

Other models worth consideration are the Wee Duper Zilch, Baby Barnstormer and Mini Omega.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Jim Damerell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 07:46:43 AM »
Does anyone have plans or info on the Baron Bare Cat? I don't think it was published, but knowing Bob B and Bill N, something is probably out there.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 11:49:05 AM »
Does anyone have plans or info on the Baron Bare Cat? I don't think it was published, but knowing Bob B and Bill N, something is probably out there.

AMA Plan Service.    Bare Cat 650-C  1/2A Stunt by Baron   40" span   $14.00     #00876.

Then the Bare Cat 650-C 54 1/4" span Sport Stunt Model by Netzband   $24.00    #00950 D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 12:21:20 PM »
There are several 1/2A designs prior to December 1970 that were published as 1/2A stunt ships.  Not many of these could be considered "serious" stunt designs in the sense similar to the capabilities of more "recent" designs like the Mathis Pinto or the Baron BareCat.  However, there are several that would make into a reasonably capable stunt ship.  Examples from the list below include the Envoy and the Spacebound.

There are others that would prove interesting using a highly offset engine or engines capable of using long to very long lines.  Examples below are the Charger and the Space-Liner (a twin).

Then, there are the small (.010 and .020 power) ultra lights that will do at least parts of the pattern on very short lines but the pilot might have to turn very fast on level flight.  (Those were interesting times.)

Here is what I have in my collection of 1/2A articles:

Blue Tail Fly by Vern Clements.  October 1956 Model Airplane News.  21" span, 105 sq in, for Thermal Hopper or Atwood/Wasp.

Cheshire Kitten by W.A. Pollard.  June 1958 Aeromodeller.  21" span

Charger by Jim Mayfield.  October 1970 American Aircraft Modeler.  30" span, about 180 sq in.  Interesting design - swept back wing with engine mounted in the LE of the wing near the center section with about 30o offset.  For a TD.  (Published on Oct, 70 but a case might be presented that the thing was actually designed prior to the Dec, 60 cutoff date for the PAMPA classic stunt rules.)

Draggin' by Jerry Peck.  August 1956 Model Airplane News.  22" span, about 140 sq in.  Flying wing.

Elf Cat by J.H. Bailey.  January 1959 Aeromodeller.  33" span, about 190 sq in.  Full fuselage.  Flaps.

Envoy by Edwin Hunt.  August 1964 Model Airplane News.  Attractive airplane.  Looks like a scaled  down full size stunter.  Dimensions uncertain but somewhere between 28"  and 30" span.  about 170 sq in.  Inverted cowled engine.

Firestrike by O. C. Povey.  December 1968 Aeromodeller.  delta wing.  13" span, 150 sq in.

Half-A Twin by Harold deBolt.  December 1951 Air Trails.  Twin Wasps.  26" span, about 150 sq in.  Profile fuselage.

Hopper by Ray Booth.  March 1959 Flying Models.    35" span about 220 sq in.  Plans show a Cub .099 but a Cox TD or Norvel would pull this just fine.  Good airfoil.  Could be built very light.

Jersey Bounce by Larry Scarinzi.  October 1958 Flying models.  22" span, 110 sq in.  Really a combat ship with a profile fuselage, lots of engine offset.

Liberty Bell by Charles Mackey.  September 1967 American Modeler.  A sheet wood flying pancake, will do a pattern with a Cox .010 on 15 to 20 foot lines.  (You need to understand that Charles could think outside of the box.)

Lil stingray by Harold Price.  Small twin boom  for Cox .020.  Weighs 1 oz.  Flies pattern on 20' lines.

Mighty Mouse by M. Kelly.  May 1953 Model Aircraft.  (From UK)  16" span, built up wing.  maybe 80 sq in.  Has flaps! Full fuselage  "Will do all the tricks on 30 ft lines."

Queen Bee by Larry Scarinzi.  June 1960 Model airplane news.  Bipe.  11" span, 65 sq in.  For the Cox .020 Babe Bee.  will do vertical eights on 15 foot lines.

Sharpoon by Keith Laumer.  November 1961 Aeromodeller.  36" span, 200 sq in.  Straight wing, no flaps. box fuselage, trike gear.

Spacebound by M. Constant.  August 1966 Aeromodeller.  33.5" span, about 200 sq in.  A "reduced" size Sirotkin Spacehound.  Full flaps, inverted cowled engine.

Spook by Wellington Way.  May 1959 Flying Models.  20" span, 90 sq in.

Strato-Liner by Carl Rosteen.  February 1957 Model airplane News.  about 25" span, about 140 sq in.Full fuselage wing and tail convfiguration.  Twin engine with one engine in nose, the second engine on outboard wing tip conted out 65o.  Shows two .049 McCoy Diesels.  Does a pattern on 200 ft lines!

Sweetheap by Ray Malmstrom.  September 1968 Aeromodeller.  22" span, 120 sq in.  Built up wing.  Profile fuselage.

Teenie Genie by Roy L. Clough, Jr.  October, 1955 Air Trails Hobbies for Young Men.  16" span.  80 sq in.  Built up wing.  Box fuselage.  Simple, light and will do the pattern.

Vedette by W.I. Barret.  July 1968 Aeromodeller.  30" span, aobut 180 sq in.  Full fuselage, flaps, trike gear.   Vee tail.

Wee One by Bernie Shulman  May-June 1967 Flying Models.  15" span, about 55 sq in.   Flaps!  built up fuselage.  for Cox .010 or .020.  15 foot lines.

Keith

What happened to the (1) Firebaby ....  and the (2) Baby Barnstormer ?   Just wondering.     D>K       H^^

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 12:33:38 PM »
                                              What happened to the (1) Firebaby ....  and the (2) Baby Barnstormer ?   Just wondering.     D>K       H^^

My list was from my collection of 1/2A designs that were published in the magazines and what would be Classic legal.  To my knowledge, plans for the Firebaby and the Baby Barnstormer were never published in the magazines.

Keith

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 12:38:42 PM »

Bob Baron's Bare Cat was published in the June 1999 issue of Model Aviation.

Keith

Offline Jim Damerell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 05:52:31 AM »
Thanks Kieth and Doc for the info.

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2019, 02:56:11 PM »
My list was from my collection of 1/2A designs that were published in the magazines and what would be Classic legal.  To my knowledge, plans for the Firebaby and the Baby Barnstormer were never published in the magazines.

Keith

I went to the PAMPA site and read the rules for Classic.   The rules say kitted or published before 1970.  The rules also stated that what would normally be considered OTS also qualify for Classic. 
I'm building a Baby Barnstormer from photocopy plans of the Guillow's kit.  The phototcopy plans are sold by Tom Dixon.  On the plans it reads: copyright 1950 by Guillows.

Note: The Guillow's Baby Barnstormer plans shows clockwise flight set up (leadout wires in the right wing.)  In an earlier string, I asked about the clockwise flight and learned that Lou Andrews the designer learned to fly clockwise and designed for clockwise flight.  Mine will fly counterclockwise.

Joe Ed Pederson

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here