News:

• March 29, 2024, 03:44:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bob Hunt Genesis: Modified Scratchbuild  (Read 2314 times)

Offline Jim Carter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Bob Hunt Genesis: Modified Scratchbuild
« on: February 10, 2023, 11:58:54 AM »
  H^^  Hello everyone!  Well, my flying buddy saw this design, years ago, and decided he wanted build one.  Well, I was fortunate enough to find a set of plans and get them printed for him.  We chatted about it and how we would go about building one if ...  Needless to say, he convinced me to build one too then we could compare notes, ideas and so forth.  Other than a couple of building mistakes, on my part, I'd like to think I didn't do too bad to get to this point and it's prepped for covering.  My buddy has already completed his and gotten his initial flight with it using an old Fox .35 for power and he was very pleased.  As for me, I decided to cover mine with monokote rather than painting, as he did because I'm pitiful at painting!  I'll opted to use an old OS .35 for power, and I need to find a tongue muffler for it.

Now here's my problem, along the way, I decided to do it in the colors of the 2023 Super Bowl winners, Chiefs or Eagles.  I have enough red, black, white and gold (substituting cub yellow), monokote to cover assuming the Chiefs win.  However, I need to acquire a roll of teal monokote assuming the Eagles win as I have enough white, black and silver (substituting either aluminum or dove gray). 

My question to all of you is: does anyone have a roll of teal monokote they would be willing to part with/sell?  Thanks in advance.  H^^

Jim Carter
Titusville, FL

Offline Gary Mondry

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Bob Hunt Genesis: Modified Scratchbuild
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2023, 08:59:43 PM »
Problem solved. Overcome by events…
AMA 10663

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 08:01:29 AM »
Yup, the Genesis always looked better with some red on it!

Congrats to the Chiefs!

Bob Hunt

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2023, 04:12:38 PM »
Yep!  Thanks for the responses but the color scheme issue has been solved  ;D!!  I like your color scheme too!  I 'spose I'll be doing something on this order.  Hopefully it will look and fly really well when all is said and done  ;)

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2023, 06:09:47 AM »
LOL! Yeah, that works, Jim. Be true to your team (Beach Boys I think... or is it Be true to your school? Yeah, that's it). Anyway, following that thinking my planes should be big and blue as I'm a life long Giants fan. Being a Giants fan I had to root for the Chiefs this time; I couldn't root for another NFC East team. Although, I like the Eagles much better than the Cowboys...

Hope your modified Genesis flies great!

Bob

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2023, 07:00:13 AM »

Although, I like the Eagles  VD~ much better than the Cowboys  #^...

Herasy, I say Herasy!

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2023, 01:33:18 PM »
LOL! Yeah, that works, Jim. Be true to your team (Beach Boys I think... or is it Be true to your school? Yeah, that's it). Anyway, following that thinking my planes should be big and blue as I'm a life long Giants fan. Being a Giants fan I had to root for the Chiefs this time; I couldn't root for another NFC East team. Although, I like the Eagles much better than the Cowboys...

Hope your modified Genesis flies great!

Bob
Hey Bob!  For me to receive your wonderful comments ... well all I can say it "I am so happy and honored!  Of course, thinking the Giants will come back into the Super Bowl is like my wishing for the Jacksonville Jaguars ... close, but ...!!  I built these back in 2018 in hopes!!  They both kept losing so I never mounted an engine and never flew either one!!  A fellow from Jacksonville Florida found out about it, drove down and bought Jags.  Looks like the same thing is going to happen with the team from my hometown ... the Ravens (it's collecting dust hanging on the rack)!!  I did the "Neosawki" back when Tampa Bay won Superbowl 54, a Kansas City Chiefs Ringmaster when they won the Super Bowl (that one sold real quick) and a Ringmaster for the L.A. Chargers which flew great but it's still hanging on the rack.

Jim 

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2023, 01:39:53 PM »
Although, I like the Eagles  VD~ much better than the Cowboys  #^...

Herasy, I say Herasy!

Ken
Hey Ken!  Eagles %^@??  Cowboys Z@@ZZZ??  All I can say is, I have cousins who are CRAZY for both of these teams and have been bugging the heck out of me to build a plane for their teams and my response is and has been .... "Let Them EARN It"!!  Well, I s'pose you can imagine the responses I've received .... and they're family  LL~ LL~ LL~!!

Jim

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2023, 12:40:15 PM »
 H^^  Howdy y'all!  Well, it all due respect to a master, Mr. Bob Hunt, here's my replicated version of his design, the Genesis.  Because I goofed in replicating his design, I thought it would be appropriate to change the spelling to Genesys.  You see while building I accidentally lengthened the inboard and outboard wings by one full panel.  This project ended up with a span: 61.5 inches, dry weight: 2lb - 1.5oz, length: 41.25 inches, and will be powered with an old OS 35S stunt with a Master Airscrew 10x6 prop.  I sure hope it flies as well as the writeup say his did/does!!  H^^

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2023, 08:10:30 AM »
Looks great, Jim! Hope it flies that way too.

Here's a photo of my newest Genesis. Just a bit different than the others.

Later - Bob

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2023, 02:59:23 PM »

Later - Bob
Wow, that's really classy!  I like it.  Curious, according to some posts on facebook, I've read that some guys mention that you had a couple different sizes of the Genesis, is this correct?  The plan I have showed a 54" wingspan and a very narrow, 1-5/8" engine compartment and the only engine that would fit was my OS 35 or a Fox 35 (if one filed the tabs down a bit).  No way an ST or OS 46 would have fit without some serious butchering  ;D!

"Jerry Raimo
The Genesis came in multiple sizes. I think the largest was what Bob called the 46 size. I have the plans somewhere. I believe it was a 60 inch span and was targeted for the ST 46.."

Also there a fellow who made an awesome post regarding your design and I mentioned that I would share his post with you.  Here it is plus there's a photo of the plane but I couldn't capture it:

"Anders Hellsen
This is a Genesis MKII. the builder,to the left, is Ake Nyström. the model is built 1981 and flown at the Worlds in Oxelösund 1982. I, to the right, got the model as a gift 2 years ago. Last year it was, again, in the Worlds, in Poland, 41 ears old! a 37th place overall is good."

Jim Carter

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2023, 06:07:44 PM »
Hi Jim:

Actually there were a number of different size models that had the "Genesis" aesthetic stretched onto them. I think of a model airplane as a mannequin of numbers onto which different clothes are draped. The Genesis series is a good example of this.

Yeah, the original 35-size Genesis had an extremely thin fuselage. I had to grind the mounting holes in close to the case and then remove a good bit of the lugs in order to get the OS Max 35S to fit. Naturally I also had to make some very narrow tanks. The "look" was great, but it wasn't practical. The Genesis 46 series - Mk I through MK III - was based on a model that my mentor, Bill Simons built in 1972. It was called the Gemini. There were a number of changes to the wing design as that series progressed. The first four larger Genesis models were powered by ST 46 engines that were tuned by Richie Tower. The 1978 version was powered by an OS Max 40FSR, and it was the best performer of the group because of the extra power. I'd like to build another one of the MK III versions and make it electric; I'm sure the performance would take a major leap over the earlier glow versions.

In 1980 I designed a 630 square inch version that had a swept forward trailing edge. That model was a terrific "scriber" in good air, but it had a thin aft fuselage that was prone to twist when the conditions got bad. I used those numbers again in 1987 to produce the first of three Crossfire models. The only real difference between the 1980 Genesis and the Crossfire series was the addition of a vertical fin and rudder. The Genesis in the post above was originally to be another Crossfire, but at the last minute I ditched the vertical fin and added a dorsal and twin rudders to make yet another entry in the Genesis series. I call that one the Genesis LC (Last Chapter).

In 2001 I designed yet another Genesis variant and this time I used a built-up wing; all the others had foam core wings. That one was named the Genesis Extreme, and it was one of my favorites.

Later - Bob

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2023, 06:11:26 PM »
Here are a few more Genesis photos...

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2023, 03:45:17 PM »
Man, this is great stuff to read!  Thanks so much.  I'll be sharing it with my flying buddy, Larry, who convinced me to build this one because he was and did build one for himself.  He loves it!  I took mine out for its test flight today and had another flying buddy, George, put it through its paces while I tried getting some video with my phone.  He really did a great job and said he liked the way it handled.  Thanks for a great design.  I had a ball building it, that's for sure!!

Jim

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2023, 04:05:24 AM »

Later - Bob

Bob, this is one of your best looking ships ever! and it´s hard to choose since all of your designs have great looks! Twin rudders begs "build me, please"
congratulations!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 12:45:20 PM by fred cesquim »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here