News:

• May 10, 2024, 06:39:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bellanca Viking 300 By James Young  (Read 6875 times)

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Bellanca Viking 300 By James Young
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2011, 10:10:38 PM »
Yeah Gordan, looks fantastic! Should be a big hit at VSC.

Hmmmm.........maybe if I start right now I can get one of these done for VSC, too.

Naa......just kidding 'ya! ;) It's going to be a few years for me on this one.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Jim Treace

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • 1979 600 Aerostar N79JT
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2012, 02:35:10 PM »
Finally finished my Jim Young design Bellanca. Only took most of a year! I used similar paint scheme as my 1976 full size Viking, which is turbo charged, hence the TURBO VIKING. My full size has cowl tunnels for the bigger engine, so I made the nose cowling with tunnels and kept the cowl open for cooling and looks. Tom Niebuhr made the paint masks for the name and "N" numbers. Power on this model is Ro-Jett .51. I made both wing panels equal so WS is 53 1/2" and shortened and off sized the flaps, OB 14", IB 14 3/4" . All gear is removable. Had to make the nose gear slightly longer for prop clearance. All dope and polyspan. All up she weighs 51 oz. Last couple of clear coats did that!
Jim

Ok, I know it's been quite a while, but finally...finally got my Bellanca in the air. Decent weather today in TN only 35, but sunny. I have to say that the plane's shape/profile looks even better in the air than it does on the ground. Flew very nice, still need a little engine time. Ran the Ro-Jett .51 with RSM 12x5 prop at the top of a 4 cycle, slight break into 2. Really like the wide wing gear, makes for easy landing. Used my center line stooge release set up. Worked perfectly. Even in flight the stooge line, (line permanently mounted to the plane), trailed nicely just below the fuselage and never even touched the plane. Going to be a fun plane. Glad I spent the time to build this one.
Jim
Jim Treace
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL &
Paris, TN
AMA 855251 "Too soon we grow old...Too late we grow wise"

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2012, 08:05:02 AM »
Jim,
That is great news. The stooge line is also interesting. I have never seen it done that way.
AMA 7544

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2012, 09:47:31 AM »
Jim, glad to hear the  plane is working.   Also thanks for the stooge release idea. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Jim Treace

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • 1979 600 Aerostar N79JT
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2012, 11:26:47 AM »
Jim,
That is great news. The stooge line is also interesting. I have never seen it done that way.

Thanks Tom for your help with the build. Your short kit got me going and the paint masks worked perfectly. About the stooge line hook up. I kind of figured if I permanently mounted a secure ring (used .032 music wire attached to small wood block epoxied in) on center line under the fuselage just slightly aft of the wing leading edge; Then to this ring attached my release line, this set up force on the plane would be similar to being hand held. I made the release line using 130# Spectra Tuf Line XP and secured with barrel crimps and chaffing loop protector just as I do with my deep sea fishing rigs. I static pulled tested this rig before attaching to ring. It bottomed out my 100# scale, so I believe it will hold. In use, it actually releases as good or maybe even better than the traditional tail dragger mount system, which I use on all my models.
Jim
Jim Treace
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL &
Paris, TN
AMA 855251 "Too soon we grow old...Too late we grow wise"

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here