News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:54:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bearcat? Mustunt? Other?  (Read 2752 times)

Offline Pacific Sun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Bearcat? Mustunt? Other?
« on: February 11, 2021, 04:00:12 AM »
Hello everyone, how are you?
After many, many years I have returned to the hobby and would like to do something special. I have a ST G21-46 not flown, and an ASP 46 abc (not started yet, it is RC but I want to fly it UC). My friends at the Club recommend me to do something like Stiletto or Genesis (or about 30 years ago), but I would very much like to make a Bearcat or Mustunt IV, or Skywriter or similar. I'm really in love with the Bearcat (even making the fuselage out of fiberglass?)
What do you think, opinions, advice, suggestions especially regarding weight, construction, etc.? I have these plans, but I don't know if they are correct.
Of course all opinions are welcome. Thank you.
Thank you very much to all. A big greeting.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
Re: Bearcat? Mustunt? Other?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 07:03:22 PM »
https://stunthanger.com/smf/nostalgia-30/fujita-tony-ki-61/

Gotta be a heaLTHY WELL SET UP MOTOR . sOMETHING 55 oZ OR LESS IS BEDDA .

Online Steve Berry

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 02:42:03 PM »
Contact Walter over at builtrightflyright@builtrightflyright.com and see if he can do either a BBQB Bearcats or a Mustunt IV for you.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 08:13:08 PM »
 First off, welcome back to the hobby!

My initial thought here though is what is your building skill level? No offense, but something like the Bearcat or even the Mustunt is a pretty serious project, would hate to have you get overwhelmed and lose motivation as a result. After such a long absence from the hobby I would highly suggest building and flying a much simpler project, even a good profile model, and then go from there.  y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 09:21:13 PM »
Yea, a profile ( or full fuse ) Oriental would be a hum dinger. quick build . lighter- so easier on the engine - for settling it in .
They need a few hours work to loosen off.

Bearcat'd be a bit marginal , with the ST 46 . Later big cube approach was the go . Hence the lighter simpler ' Tony ' . Has a Enya 45 plain bearing .

Assume youd be ' picking it up ' and just a few manouvres , not the ' Full Schedule ' .

Reasearch the S Tigre on SEARCH here , for kindest way to look after it .

H^^

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 12:14:41 AM »
My 2 cents is to go with the Mustunt.  If your club members are recommending something like the Genesis then they must know something about your flying ability.  I flew some with Al back in 70's and I would guess his recommendation would be the same.   If you were flying patterns when you quit you will be disappointed with a profile unless you plan to use it later for another event at a contest.  It comes back very quickly and in my case (I was out 30 years) it let me dump some really bad habits.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 11:23:18 AM »
 I agree with comments above about the bearcat. it would need to be less than 55 ounces to fly with a 46. That is almost impossible to do. I have more experience than most on here and i built two Bearcats. First one was to heavy and I ended up with ST/60 in it. The second was a all out effort to keep it light. It weighted 50 ounces and I flew it with a Rustler 40 and a ST/46. I RE/51 would have been better motor for it.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 11:55:05 AM »
I had a Rabe Bearcat built from the magazine plans except planked and molded shells for the fuselage instead of the blocks shown on the plans with a GMA Jet 50 RE, a really strong engine.   62 oz.  It was capable of a competitive pattern.  62' lines.
It won VSC once and qualified for the Open finals at two Nats.

If Al was still with us, he would recommend the different airfoil of his later Bearcats which was a bit thicker.  Would probably be a good change.  His molded fuselage were works of art.  He made it look easy, but took some time to master the technique.

Al placed second twice at the Nats with his Bearcats.  The first of these was to the magazine plans.  He used "slightly modified" ST .46's on those first models.

Keith
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 12:57:34 PM by Trostle »

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2021, 01:58:39 PM »
Couple of Bearcats that frequented our local contests in the early 80's.  Wish I had an builder's name.  I think on of them is Frank Williams's.  Not sure about the other one.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2021, 05:22:44 PM »
Just to be awkward , or ina hurry . Ash Thingo scaled one for a LA 46 . Course a Super Tigre's got more grunt than a LA .  VD~

Offline Pacific Sun

• New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2021, 12:32:21 PM »
https://stunthanger.com/smf/nostalgia-30/fujita-tony-ki-61/
................... sOMETHING 55 oZ OR LESS IS BEDDA .
Thank you for the comment. Yes, I think the right idea is about 50 oz./ 50  in.

...............My 2 cents is to go with the Mustunt.  If your club members are recommending something like the Genesis then they must know something about your flying ability......

Ken

Yes, I really like yhis plane. Of course, 35 years after I do not want fly championships, but anyway I like fly the complete range of figures.

Yea, a profile ( or full fuse ) Oriental would be a hum dinger. quick build . lighter- so easier on the engine - for settling it in .
They need a few hours work to loosen off.

Bearcat'd be a bit marginal , with the ST 46 . Later big cube approach was the go . Hence the lighter simpler ' Tony ' . Has a Enya 45 plain bearing .

Assume youd be ' picking it up ' and just a few manouvres , not the ' Full Schedule ' .

Reasearch the S Tigre on SEARCH here , for kindest way to look after it .

H^^
Sure, but you know......  ;D ;D ;D
First off, welcome back to the hobby!

My initial thought here though is what is your building skill level? No offense, but something like the Bearcat or even the Mustunt is a pretty serious project, would hate to have you get overwhelmed and lose motivation as a result. After such a long absence from the hobby I would highly suggest building and flying a much simpler project, even a good profile model, and then go from therey1

Thank you very much. Really I feel like a child in Dec 24th
About building skill I'm not afraid. I build planes, boats, etc wood/fiberglass/plastic all my life; this project muste be walking slowly, you know.
Yes, sure, but you know.....

Thank you very much for ALL the comments/opinions/ideas. I really loves the Mustunt and I think it will be the "choosen" hahahaha. Anyway, I'll inform you.

Best Regards

P.D. All my support and love for "the lonely star state" 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here