News:

• May 10, 2024, 03:09:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jerry McMillin's Smoothie  (Read 2770 times)

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
Jerry McMillin's Smoothie
« on: February 20, 2008, 07:12:06 PM »
Here is my Dad's Smoothie he flew in the 1967 Nats.
It's powered by an Super Tigre 35 (I actually thought it was a 40 but I took the engine out and it is a C35) with a Spin-A-Flo muffler and Williams Bros spinner with a Grish nylon silver 10x6 (I once wrote it was a 10x4, it's not) three blade prop.
This is an all brushed dope model covered with silk and those landing gear doors are some thick tin, so light weight was secondary to strength.
Veco wheels, bellcrank, horns, tank, and tailwheel, this picture was taken when it was new, possibly unflown here.
Chris...
PS A lot of these were taken with a 110 Instamatic, so that is why they are a bit soft.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
Re: Jerry McMillin's Smoothie
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 08:59:34 PM »
That look's great Chris.  You ought to duplicate it - kit bashing a Brodak Smoothie  :!
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 01:51:23 AM »
Pete,
You funny guy, you. This one has a Veco wing, not a Patternmaster wing!
Chris...

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 07:50:15 AM »
Chris, buddie - Patternmaster?, I dont' get it. The Brodak kit is very a reproduction of the Palmer/Veco version. I just completed one (Smoothie on the Grass post). Your Dad's is a cool looking airplane.  Has sort of a pre-WW2 interceptor vibe. It would be an easy kit-bash and with your pic and post as documentation (with your permission) - Classic legal IMHO. 8)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 08:28:27 AM by Pete Cunha »
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 03:42:16 PM »
Pete,

The Brodak Smoothie is the supposed "Original" Smoothie. It has an airfoil said to be on one of Bob's original Smoothies, but a lot thicker and blunter than the sharp and thin airfoil in the Veco kits. Huge difference.

I call it the Patternmaster wing because it is about as thick and blunt as a modern PA model's wing and the Patternmaster airfoil is about the thickest and bluntest.

You can copy Dad's model all you want, it is just a modifed Smoothie (Veco kit, that is). It's most definitely Classic legal. I really enjoy seeing modified models from the Classic period. I've been fortunate enough to see many of them around the west, some being surviving originals, and think they are as much a part of the event as the kits and designs they are derived from. So if you would like to copy Dad's model, go for it.

I have the original in my shop.

Chris...

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 05:49:27 PM »
Wow,  :o   I didn't know that.  The wing on the plane I built was pretty darn thin (or so I thought).  I'll go compare it to the Veco Smoothie kit I have in the archive!  At any rate, it is waaay thinner than a Patternmaster (but I know you were just making a point.)  PC
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 07:11:26 PM »
Wow,  :o   I didn't know that.  The wing on the plane I built was pretty darn thin (or so I thought).  I'll go compare it to the Veco Smoothie kit I have in the archive!  At any rate, it is waaay thinner than a Patternmaster (but I know you were just making a point.)  PC

Mr Palmer did say the wing from one of his Smoothies that was supposed to be kitted by Veco was changed for production.  That is when he said the Brodak wing was like his own.  I have an old Veco Smoothie (1964) here and it's wing is VERY different from the Brodak kit.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 11:48:58 PM »
Thanks Bill. I'm glad to hear that the kit wing was authenticated by Bob Palmer-for awhile there I was afraid I would have to build another one before VSC.   PC
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 09:54:42 AM »
Thanks Bill. I'm glad to hear that the kit wing was authenticated by Bob Palmer-for awhile there I was afraid I would have to build another one before VSC.   PC

Hi Pete,

Mr. Palmer was at a Brodak Fly-In when I was there a few years ago.  He said it himself.

Some people argue that he just forgot, or something, but he was sharp as a tack in his conversations, so..........  I take his word on it! ;D

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 10:16:16 AM »
I had the extreme pleasure of sitting next to Bob Palmer at a restaurant at VSC one year. He was a joy to be with. He would be quiet for a while and then would talk about airplanes, or the Lockheed Skunk Works, or even RC boats.

He even talked about trolling for fish with an RC boat!

Believe me, when Bob talked We All Listened! He was sharp as a tack.

I have an 8 x 10 picture on the wall of my office, with Bob, Bill Byles, Dale Gleason, and myself that I treasure. I will have to scan it so all can see.

Chris, that wing gear really makes the airplane! I have seen Green Box Noblers that looked better with a wing gear and wheel pants. This is the first Smoothie I have seen with a wing gear. My hat is off again to your father.
AMA 7544

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 09:26:57 AM »
This reminds mo of the Brodak Nobler tha authenticated by George Aldrich hisself.  When I said it was as stock as a kit could be some people would start snickering.  I have the Brodak Smoothie kit and looked it over.  I have in the past built three of the Veco/Dumas Smoothie's.  I see very little difference in them.  Chris, you don't know how lucky you are to have had a dad that flew and all the people you got to meet because of it.  My Dad didn't fly or build, but, he supported me all the way.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 11:59:43 AM »
Chris, I thought I would step in here for a minute, and add my input to the conversation re: the Brodak Smoothie.

I am the person who drew up the plans for Brodak's version. Bob Palmer and I spent hours on the phone going over details so the plans could be as true to his original as possible. Bob sent me his original drawings, hand drawn on butcher paper to use, so I could get it right. I returned the originals to Bob when I finished the new plans, but did make a copy for my own archives. I'm sure that the originals are in the possession of the owner of Bob's estate.

Just to clarify exactly what airfoil is used on the Brodak version, NACA 0018, but that doesn't include the flap legnth in the calculation, so it's more like 0016. NACA 4 digit airfoils were  used on most of his other designs, and it wouldn't be a stretch that he would use it on the Smoothie.

He relayed this information to me personally during one of our many phone conversations.

When the Smoothie was first conceived, he wanted a plane that would handle wind and turbulence. So, since he worked at Lockheed, he went to the Design Dept. and asked them what would be a good airfoil for that purpose. They told him that the airfoil they were using on the stab of a new plane they were working on would probably do the job. It was the Herky Bird's stab airfoil that was used for the first Smoothie.

He built and finished the  new plane. He found that it did handle wind and turbulence well, but in normal air, it didn't have the qualities, esp. in the turn, that he wanted, so he built and finished another, using his more normal 4 digit airfoil. This second plane was the one he preferred.

Bob apparently always looking for an edge, finished up the second plane in an identical color and trim scheme. He told me that when he went to a contest, he had both planes in his trunk. If it was windy, out came the thin winged first version. If it was normal conditions he would use the second version, as it handled better in normal conditions.

He also told me a little about what happened and why the first version was the one published, and kitted.

He was on a trip, out of the country, if I remember correctly, and Henry (Heco, or later Veco) sent off the wrong plan to the publisher. Bob wanted the second version to be published and kitted, Henry kitted the first version, apparently, I am assuming, so the kit and published plans would match.

This was all told to me personally by Mr. Palmer himself. I believe it can't get much better than that.

Both version 1 and 2 should be OT legal, in all PAMPA OT contests.   H^^
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 02:02:48 PM »
Thanks John.
I remember the story. Tell me, can you scan the thicker airfoil and thinner airfoil here for all to see. I'd be interested to compare side by side.
Thanks,
Chirs...

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 09:58:21 AM »
Great story John, thanks!  BTW: Great job on the plans in all the Brodak kits I have seen-definite keepers.  ;D
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Online John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 12:13:58 PM »
Hi Chris, I wish I had a scan of the veco kit rib. I don't, but I can post a picture of the root wing cutout for the Smoothie kit. I'll get it prepped and add it later today.

Here's a view of the root rib taken from the plans file.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 01:15:34 PM by John Miller »

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 09:27:43 PM »
Thanks John,
I made some ribs to replace the broken ones on the Smoothie. I'll see if I can find the drawings or the ribs. (I guess I gave away how far I went on the repair!)
Chris...

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2008, 12:37:09 AM »
Here they are, side by side.
The Veco kit, of which who knows how many thousands were built from the early fifties until now, is simply "known" for it's sharp leading edge and rearward high point. It makes the model, it is it's defining signature. Jim Wilson's flies better than most anyones Brodak model.
The Brodak "Original" Smoothie model is what Bob said, his other Smoothie.
I suppose it is well that the Old Time Stunt community got yet another good flying design.
I wonder if the Thunderbird is the same airfoil as the "Original" Smoothie?
Chris...

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 07:57:14 PM »
This thread sent me rushing to the garage "workshop" to check out my unbuilt Dumas Smoothie kit. It does indeed have the razor-sharp leading edge, rearward high point and thin wing as in the photo. Very much like the super-critical airfoil on the P-51 and early Century series jets of the time and would have been very familiar to Lockheed engineers around 1952. Hard to believe it would fly stunt at all. I have the Brodak kit and also the ARF with thicker wing, which are also overall a larger model with many differences in construction compared to the Veco/Dumas line. Both fly amazingly well in wind with the thicker blunt wing. Must be the eliptical tips. Anybody have a supportable opinion about what, exactly, makes the Smoothie (either type) good in wind?

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 10:09:47 PM »
Hey Ty -

You call 50 mph "wind?" Yesterday here in Alameda CA I watched Randy Bush do at least five consecutive horizontal eights. Easy you say? Well, this was AFTER the engine stopped! Flew the Flite Streak basically like one of those two-line kites. Then fell flat on his back due to the effort. Or something.

My Smoochies do indeed fly well in wind (by any standard) and are my first choice on blustery days.

Offline Lon Retzloff

• New Pilot
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008, 03:27:00 AM »
Hi all
In my much younger days I built a mid 50s Veco Smoothie but it was the cowled version.  A little on the heavy side but I remember it flying very will in the July wind in Walnut Creek, Ca.  Now that I am retired I bought the Brodak Smoothie kit but want to convert it to the Veco cowled version.  I plan on installing a reworked Fox  40 ABC deluxe.  Does anyone know how I can get my hands on a good readable full size copy of the complete set of the original Veco plans which include:Plans, step by step instructions and the instruction sheet for the cowling.  I tried the AMA and what they sent me was incomplete. I would be willing to pay any reasonable related expense.
Thanks,
Lon Retzloff

Offline Ray

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2008, 02:04:29 PM »
Fullsize plans weren't included with kits in the 50's - 60's.  You got isometrics instead.  However, several later years draftsmen have transferred the kit parts into usable scratch builders' plans.  Have you checked with today's resellers, such as Aero, Bare, Dixon, Windy, et al?

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2008, 11:39:28 PM »
Hi Lon:

Welcome aboard. It sounds like you want to build the inverted engine version, as shown on the Veco/Dumas box and on the drawings that came with the old kits. If so, Pete Cunha who lives in the Bay Area has one flying. Don't know if you are still around Walnut Creek. In any case, your Brodak kit plans already show the centerline and the thrust line. You only need to modify or cut new ply formers and locate the engine bearers along the top of the engine centerline rather than below, and then build a cowl and top blocks like a zillion other stunters. I can probably photocopy and send you the parts of the Veco drawings that show the inverted engine installation. Not much detail.

Offline Lon Retzloff

• New Pilot
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2008, 02:21:15 PM »
Thanks Mike and Ray.
Following is part of a description of the contents of the Smoothie kit I had way back when;
Smoothie. Bob Palmer's 52 inch span, full bodied, full flapped competition stunter for .29-.35 size engines. Veco kit plans are of upright engine version and show all ribs and formers. Kit instruction sheet shows cowled inverted engine variation. Two sheets of plans (36 x 21 and 35 x 25), plus third sheet of instructions

Ray, I will check with the resellers to see if I can get anymore info. 
Mike, I still live in the Walnut Creek Area and will contact Pete.  If all else fails I would like to take you up on your offer for a copy of the plans.

May thanks to both of you... just don't want to mess this up.
Lon

Online John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2008, 04:48:50 PM »
How's this guys?

I took the files for the Brodak Smoothie, and made itinto the inverted version. All  it takes is to make a few modifications, and a new F-2 bulkhead. I'd like to get the dimensions for Franks' Wing mounted gear, and I could add that also.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2008, 08:01:05 PM »
It's an easy kit bash.  John's plans above contain all you need to know.  I'm in Sacramento - contact me PM and I'll fill you in on the details. 
Have Stunt Plane, Will Travel.   8)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 10:21:13 AM by Pete Cunha »
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Lon Retzloff

• New Pilot
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2008, 06:19:21 PM »
I wanted to thank everyone for their input.  I did contact Tom Dixon. I now have in my possession plans for 4 different versions of the Smoothie, one of which is Tom's Smoother.  This should keep me quiet and busy for a while.
Lon

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here