News:

• May 23, 2024, 08:55:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jetco Shark assembly,,,,  (Read 4343 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Jetco Shark assembly,,,,
« on: December 22, 2009, 06:20:47 AM »
This week I uncorked the 46-year old bottle of fine wine that purchased from another member of this forum.  The product was bottled by:

The C.A. Zaic Co, Inc, Brooklyn, 21, New York, commonly called "Jetco Models".  If you're having trouble finding Jetco on a search, try Zaic.  The list of Lew McFarland's victories spans 1958 through 1962 solidly nailing the classic nature of the design.  Lew's magazine article mentions dabbling with the 60-size, but concluding that a 45 was a big as a stunter needs to be.

In the Detroit area, the Shark 45 was the upgrade from the Top Flite Nobler, which overwhelmingly dominated the stunt world.  The major users of the Jetco Shark were Leroy Gunther and Mark Ramsey, both of whom built several.  Leroy always went after all 40 of the apperance points.  In a newsletter article that he authored, he stated that his first Shark (which looked GREAT) weighed in at 67 ounces.  Mark had at least four Sharks and he heeded Leroy's advice and played cool on the paint job, settling for 23 points at the 70 Nats, but doing better on the flying end of the deal.

Other contributors here have warned me about the weight of the kit wood, so I'm entering this venture with mass management as the prime directive.

I began by cutting/punching out the parts and sorting them into Ziplock bags by part number.  I sub-assembled some of the laminated parts.  Quite a few parts which could have been sawed from 1/2" balsa are laminated from numerous odds and ends of die cut 1/16" and 1/8" wood.

For example, the center of the tailplane weighed 0.5 ounces when done the "kit way", but a little under 0.4 when cut from a single piece of 1/2".

The bulk 1/16" balsa included in the kit weighs 8.4 ounces for a computed density of 10 pounds to the foot. This wood will be replaced and saved for ribs on racers, etc.

Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Jetco Shark assembly,,,,
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 06:29:25 AM »
The Body Side Assemblies aren't all that heavy, only 3.4 ounces total with all the laminations in place.  I think I will still ventilate them some, as Lew did on the Nobler, mass is mass.  The design does not employ plywood nose doublers, so you need to give the dense balsa some slack on this one.

The top and bottom blocks, five in number, weigh only 4 ounces, some hollowing to follow.
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 09:51:40 AM »
When I met Lew in Ohio at a contest at Lumkin Field, I asked him about the Shark kit.  He immediatly replied use the kit as a pattern and use good wood.  I sold the kit years later as I thought I would never fly anything in that size range.  Keep us posted.  MERRY CHRISTMAS
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 12:20:01 PM »
The rib stack only weighs 2.3 ounces for 23 ribs, and BIG ribs at that.  With an airfoil 2" thick, the ribs need some strength.

One weak point: The canopy.  It was formed from .010" stock, far too thin.  Modern vacumme forming is done with .030" or better.  It draws down pretty thin.  I will need to:

Buy a canopy if anybody is selling, or
Make a wood windshield, ot
Make a plaster cast from this canopy and form one with .030" plastic, then maybe sell 'em.

Paul Smith

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 04:16:57 PM »
Somewhat in the same vein as Doc's comment, you'll get a better plane if you sell the JetCo Shark on eBAY and get the RSM kit. The latter has been blessed by Lew as authentic, and you won't need to replace any wood.

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 05:43:19 AM »
Somewhat in the same vein as Doc's comment, you'll get a better plane if you sell the JetCo Shark on eBAY and get the RSM kit. The latter has been blessed by Lew as authentic, and you won't need to replace any wood.

,,,,well we used to say in the assembly plant, "Anybody can build a car with good metal".

I bought this kit off the site here and it was NOT in collectible condition.  Buildable, but not collectible.  I am doing a selective replacement of some to the heavier wood, as well as whittling, sanding, and dremeling out as much as possible.

I have an RSM kit in reserve.  Assembling this one will be good practice.  The wing is looking REALLY BIG compared to other models I've built and/or assembled.

Anyway, as for the stab, I replaced the laminated center block with one cut from lighter balsa.  Also the 10 lb/foot 1/16" sheeting has been replaced with lighter 1/20" balsa.  The little throw-awa fixtures on the LG make it equal to the 1.2" trailing edge.

The main landing gear is a TOTAL replacement.  The squiggly wire and J-bolts are being replaced with  a torsion bar gear that can be removed for travel and repair.   I assembled this just to get a weight for reference.  It's 2.3 ounces.  My torsion bar setup might weigh more.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 08:13:44 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 09:07:04 AM »
Hi Paul.  I am really enjoying your build project.  I like the looks of the Shark and have thought of building one myself some day.  I like the fact that you are useing an old kit to build yours.  Interesting exercise. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 08:24:33 AM »
Here's the biggie, THE WING.

There are 23 different ribs, 12 inboard and 11 outboard. This is very high class bit of engineering to get the taper and offset correct. It's vital to mark the numbers and L & R correctly.  Jetco has added little pedestals to 8 of the ribs to make the wing self-jigging with the centerline at an elevation 1-1/4" off the table.

My assembly system involves hardwood blocks sawed to 45 degrees for the LE and 90 for the TE. To these, I hot-melt glue tooling specific to the model. When the job is done, I melt the details off with my heat gun and save the blocks for the future. The tooling is hot-melted (on the edges) to an old glass top table.

The ribs themselves were used as master blocks to align the LE to the 45-degree blocks.  A few miscellaneous light weights were set on to make sure everything stays down.

The whole thing, as it is now weighs 5.6 ounces. 100% kit wood. Some sanding to follow. Soft targets include the back of the LE and the insides of the spars near the tips (especially inboard). Despite 21st century belief to the contrary, it is still possible to assemble a diecut kit.  

Note the bigness compared to my Bi-Slob and Sig SPAD.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 11:14:44 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 11:04:42 AM »
Paul, it is looking good and I like your comparisons.  You mentioned something about di-cutting.  Remember that was the greatest thing in that period of time.  You are gutsy in doing this Shark project.  Have you talked to Dan McEntee about it.  He makes it look easy to fly as well as Lames Mills.  Keep us posted. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 01:04:05 PM »
John Paris mentioned the issue of transport. So as soon as I got some sub-assemblies ready to tape together, I fitted the Shark into my van. The result of the boat in the basement test is that it fits, but not squarely. The angle will cause it to occupy the space of several smaller models. Perhaps a sling up top?

While it was at it, I tested a Magnum-wing original I had on the back burner (waiting for a bigger ride).   This plane will definitely have to be made as a take-apart.  I might push it ahead of the Shark to gain some experience in the bigger-engine size of model.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 04:09:57 PM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 01:21:18 PM »
I'm thinking of all the stunt kits I've assembled, which is not very many.

1960's, Midwest Magician, Jetco Sabre, Midwest PT-19, and Ambroid Stuka.
1970's Top Flite Nobler and Sig Banshee.
1990's Sig Twister.
2009-2010, Jetco  Sabre.

This is the first time I've assembled a kit with 0.1 ounce postal scale as a primary tool.  In the past I (and everybody else I knew), just tried to get the thing assembled so it wouldn't fall apart too soon, and maybe weighed the final product.

The rudder-fin was a success story.  I discarded several kit parts weighing 0.7 ounces and replaced the heavy 1/16" sheeting with lighter 1/20" sheet.  The whole finished assembly is only 0.7 ounces (the original mass of about half of it).

The body sides weren't that successful.  The original weight was 3.4 ounces, but the big holes only got them down to 2.9.  They might get bigger after final assembly.

The plans show all the splices at the center.  I used 48" balsa and made the splices near the outboard tip, thereby strengthening the center and using the splices as a contribution toward tip weight.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 04:10:48 PM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 06:08:33 PM »
HI Paul,

You are doing some good things to control weight.

I might have missed it, but what engine are you planning to use?   Knowing that point might allow you to reconsider the fuselage construction making it even lighter.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 05:15:56 AM »
The engine has been a sticking point.  I couldn't proceed much farther with commiting to an engine.

After some thought, I've ordered an ST G51.  When I get the feel of the engine, I have a better idea of how much I dare lighten the plane.

In the meantime, I've brought out a Magnum-wing original that I put on the back burner a few years ago.  Both the Shark and the Magnum will fit my van, but only at an angle.  Therefore, I've using the Magnum to experiment with TAKE-APART construction.  If it pays off, I may do the same with the Shark 45.
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 05:22:12 AM »
I did get the main landing gears done.  I changed it from a permanently installed rigid gear to a torsion bar type that can be removed any time. The weight is the same and this setup has worked very well for me in the past.  I hate sanding, covering and painting with the wires sticking out

To get the two gears similar, I soldered two full length pieces of 1/8" music wire together and bent them both at once.

The stock gear is pictured.  It weighed 2.3 ounces.  The new one weighs the same.  Nothjing triuck here. Just standard nylon gear clips and 2/56 blind nuts.  The vertical "anti-rotation leg was tapped between a couple chunks of scrap carbon rod I had on hand.  The 1/16" plywood gear spar is glued securely to the existing wing spar.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 06:59:00 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 07:37:18 AM »
My new engine, the SuperTigre G51 arrived, so I was able to put this job back on the front burner.

The kit engines mounts, two 3/8" x 1/2" hardwoods weighed in at 1.2 ounces.  In the style of the day, there was no crutch, no tank floor, just two unconnected hardwoods.

I relieved some weight by tapering the back end of the hardwoods, and sawing out some weight in front of the engine.  I was able to make these into an crutch with a tank floor, and also add some plywood backup under the engine. The would assembly still weighs 1.2 ounces.  

I added a Number One Bar made of plywood to join the left & right ski bars.  In the "kit build", the fuselage formers align the engine mounts and boidy sides.  In my build, the engine crutch already aligned and it aligns the body sides.  Furthermore, this plywood is bored out to receive the blind nuts, avoiding the need to sacrifice any material from the hardwoods.

I use M3 bolts and blind nuts. The blind nuts are much bigger than 4/40's and don't have the bad habit of coming loose from the wood when I tighten them up enough to do the job. They're a good compromise between 4/40 and 6/32.
Paul Smith

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 08:36:01 AM »
Paul
KUDOES for building a JETCO Shark. I went through a similar excercixe a couple years ago with a Sterling Spitfire.  I used all the kit wood except the motor mounts, and had a lot of fun building it.  I have a Ringmaster Imperial (buildable not collectible) that I plan on doing the same thing with.

Man your post opened a Detroit time capsule.  My Dad had built most of the kits of the day then built a Shark  about 1964 - did not use the canopy cuz it was too thin!  LeRoy "Gunny" Gunther built a couple of them; the first at 81 oz (!!) the second at 73 oz, both with acrylic enamel finishes that he was trying to get a handle on. 

In your opening post, you mentioned Mark Ramsey.  I found this pix of him from the 1969 NATs.  His Shark was well built but did not have a knee deep finish on it, thus he kept it fairly light with Veco 45(?) power - One of the best flying Sharks I remember seeing.   An aside: Mark's OTHER hobby was collecting/restoring Studebaker Avanti's...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 12:04:47 PM »
Yeah, I used to fly with Mark, he had four Sharks, one for each Avanti.  I flew with Mark at the 1970 Nats, my one-and-only attempt at Open Stunt at The Nats.  We had a private one-on-one competition.  I beat him on appearance points, using my PT-19.  I got him on originally, cause mine was modified a lot and his was like the Jetco kit box.  But he pulled ahead on the flying.
Paul Smith

Online John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2010, 12:45:36 PM »
Paul,
As a fellow Astro driver I have found that my SV-11 will fit best with the wing running the length of the van leaning against the wall.  I then stack the others leaning against this one.  I obviously remove my rear bench seat to accomplish this and the wingtip ends up next to the middle bench seat on the sliding door side.  If you cannot remove your mid-captains seats, maybe you could stack the shorter airplanes along the wall and then stick the wings of the larger ones between the seats.  Using this packing method, I can easily carry 10 airplanes, support equipment and various things for 4 people in mine.  I do generally use a towel between the airplanes and drive like a sissy to keep stuff from banging around.  Michigan roads are certainly not my friend....
John

The engine has been a sticking point.  I couldn't proceed much farther with commiting to an engine.

After some thought, I've ordered an ST G51.  When I get the feel of the engine, I have a better idea of how much I dare lighten the plane.

In the meantime, I've brought out a Magnum-wing original that I put on the back burner a few years ago.  Both the Shark and the Magnum will fit my van, but only at an angle.  Therefore, I've using the Magnum to experiment with TAKE-APART construction.  If it pays off, I may do the same with the Shark 45.
John Paris

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2010, 05:30:13 PM »
One stunter or 10 planes isn't the issue.  I need to pack in 18 for the T&D or the Brodak.

The third seat in my Astro never made it home. I have no intention of going into the skoo bus bidness.  It resides in my storage unit 'til  the van is sold, which won't be soon.  Armed with my 18mm deep socket and a rachet wrench, I can dispose of the middle row in my Astro or Bravada in NASCAR time.

At this point the Shark 45 still doesn't occupy much room.  Build the boat today, get it of the basement when it's done.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 03:02:59 PM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Online John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 09:04:05 PM »
One stunter or 10 planes isn't the issue.  I need to pack in 18 for the T&D or the Brodak.

The third seat in my Astro never made it home. I have no intention of going into the skoo bus bidness.  It resides in my storage unit 'til  the van is sold, which won't be soon.  Armed with my 18mm deep socket and a rachet wrench, I can dispose of the middle row in my Astro or Bravada in NASCAR time.

At point the Shark 45 still doesn't occupy much room.  Build the boat today, get it of the basement when it's done.

Paul,
With those middle seats out, you will be golden for 18 airplanes.  There is a lot of volume in the Astro, you just need to make use of it all.
John
John Paris

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 02:14:27 PM »
My latest little bit of progress is the nose gear.

The kit setup won't work because the engine is bigger.  Furthermore, based on the religion instilled into me at my previous employer, it is a serious offence to use threaded fasteners in an application where you never intend to take the thing apart.  So the challenge was to design out a whole slew of trapped J-bolts.

This was achieved by sandwiching the kit nose gear wire between two pieces of 1/32' plywood with 1/8" spruce spacers.

This whole module will remain as a slip fit until the last possible step of assembly at which point it will be firmly glued in place.

The dark plywood pieces in the clamp are kit wood going into the growing reject bag.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 02:34:36 PM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 02:39:54 PM »
With nose gear in hand, the next step, alignment and assembly of the engine comparment falls into place.

The nose gear can still be slipped in and out as needed to align and sand the front end.  The two square balsa formers that replaced the kit plywood can be expended when the structure progresses.
Paul Smith

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 08:06:54 PM »
My latest little bit of progress is the nose gear...

The dark plywood pieces in the clamp are kit wood going into the growing reject bag.

I have a GS Prod./ J Roberts model that had the same dark ply in the kit. I think it is mahogany?? Whatever, it was poor quality. Looked like the drawer bottoms from a cheap pc. of furniture.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline 50+AirYears

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2010, 12:25:49 AM »
I'm either going to have to earmark this site, or print it out and put th prinntouts in my kit box, for when I finally get a chance to build mine.
Tony

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2010, 06:58:45 AM »
I have a GS Prod./ J Roberts model that had the same dark ply in the kit. I think it is mahogany?? Whatever, it was poor quality. Looked like the drawer bottoms from a cheap pc. of furniture.

It looks kinda like redwood to me. 
Heavy, no strength to speak of, warped, and split along the grain.

In addition to that, the structural architecture of having the two engine mounts connected only by two plywood formers is not my style, even with the best wood.
Paul Smith

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2010, 08:19:46 AM »
I think that stuff is mahogany - more grainy than redwood, not as hard as birch. Overall it is much stronger than lite ply (poplar) but less strong (especially in crush) than birch.  Also, I have only seen it in 3 ply, 5 ply birch is a serious upgrade.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here