News:

• April 27, 2024, 08:53:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 60 Size Classic Planes  (Read 7536 times)

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
60 Size Classic Planes
« on: October 24, 2006, 09:32:48 AM »
I've been contemplating a larger Classic plane to take advantage of the DS 60s I use in my Pampa planes.  One such plane that has caught my eye is Bob Whitely's awesome Hawker Hunter.  I guess the ubiquitous Shark 45 is another example, but I'm wondering what other competitive 60 size Classic ships might be out there.  Any ideas?

Steve
Steve

Offline Patrick Rowan

• AMA Member
  • Commander
Re: 60 Size Classic Planes
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 10:50:36 AM »
Windy's Sweeper
Fly Stunt
Poland, Ohio

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 12:31:03 PM »
I would also look at the Jim Tichy's Colossus and Bob English's Quasar. They are big I-beamers and are related designs. I don't know which came first, maybe someone can chime in and help us out.

I believe Walter is getting ready to bring out the Colossus kit (I'm on the list) and it would be an ideal fit for the big Double Star.

Take care,

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Airacobra

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 12:55:40 PM »
I think a Skyscraper or Van Loo Mystere could easily take a 60. Certainly the Hunter would make a nice plane as well. Steve, I heard you really had the 60 working nicely for you at Huntersville.
Keith Bryant

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 03:22:05 PM »
Windy's Sweeper

I should have rephrased that: "A 60 size stunter that will fit in a vehicle under full size HMMV parameters!"  **)

Its cool how well the PA-65 flew the one Dale and Derek Barry had out at Brodaks.

Steve
Steve

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 03:32:13 PM »
I think a Skyscraper or Van Loo Mystere could easily take a 60. Certainly the Hunter would make a nice plane as well. Steve, I heard you really had the 60 working nicely for you at Huntersville.

Well, I had the 60 working but the pilot wasn't warmed up and the flights were not very good.  Part of my investigation here is to look for a "double duty" plane for the contests that have Classic on Saturday and Pampa on Sunday.  I've always had a difficult time transitioning from my Classic ship to my Pampa plane at the contest, and if you have issues with practice time (ie Saturdays events run late, weather, crowded practice area), it can be hard to make the transition at all.  I usually feel good with 8 to 10 practice flights when switching from one ship to the other.  That breaks down to 6 to 8 Saturday afternoon and one or two before the Pampa officials start Sunday morning.
  Life was a bit easier a few years ago when I used my Yellow Nobler for both Classic and Advanced.  Saturday was a tuneup for Sunday and there were no issues with switching planes.
  I figure its worth looking into whether  I can get the idiot-proof DS 60 into a Classic plane and try the double duty thing again.  It will at least simplify contests a bit....

Steve
Steve

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 04:00:07 PM »
Hi Steve,

I agree that a good Double Duty plane is worth a hard look.  At your stage, switching planes is not going to further the program! 

I have always liked the Skyscraper.  Windy has the original plans which look really nice.  Mr. Palmer used a Veco 45 in the original meaning that the light case DS 60 might even be a switch to a lighter engine!  He reported that the 45 would fly it ina dead 4 cycle.  I feel pretty sure the DS 60 is a stronger engine than the old Veco 45.......

Take a look at it!

(Of course, there is always the USA-1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Bill <><

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 04:50:38 PM »
Steve I would second Bills choice of the USA-1. Both he and I have built them and we could give you some heads up on improving them and still be legal. I powered mine with a ST/46 and it was underpowered by todays standard. Your DS would be perfect.
Ed Ruane
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 07:04:13 PM »
Hi Ed,

To be a serious "contender", I do not believe there is a better Classic legal airplane out there than the USA-1.  As far as flying ability, with a good power package, it is the best I have ever seen!  It just can't be built at the 60 oz. category and still be expected to fly as it should..........

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 11:41:58 AM »
A .60??  Hows abouts a JUMBO?? It used a McCoy .60, rear rotor, only two pieces of balsa for the fuselage, 3x3x36 twice.  **)

You beat me to the draw on this one.  The "Jumbo" was published in Model Airplane News, April, 1956.

Rough order of magnitude by scaling from the magazine plans.

Straight wing with tapered flap trailing edge.  65 inch span, just over 1,000 sq in.  Huge flaps over 250 sq in.  Fairly short coupled configuration.   The length is about 37 in (not counting the spinner).

31 in span horizontal tail with about 230 sq in.

Super light  construction.  This airfoil with not more than 10% thickness (with the flaps (less than 14% without the flaps).

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 06:23:54 PM »
Kieth You have proved that the Bearcat is also a great classic and expert plane . With Steve's DS-60 it would be awesome.
Ed

Offline Patrick Rowan

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 10:31:09 PM »
Steve,

I think you have the skills needed to fly both a .60 size PA ship & a .40 size Classic well.

You do have to get used to the Classic plane. Lots of patterns.

I agree with you on the Derek Barry Sweeper flights. Vary cool.
Fly Stunt
Poland, Ohio

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006, 09:29:38 AM »
Ron,

Jim Tichy's Colossus came before the Quasar of Bob English.  Colossus around 1960-61 and the Quasar was later, around 1967 or 68.  The Quasar was a bit of a refinement of the Colossus.  Jim and Bob are both WAM flyers and flew many time together.  Fairfeild and Napa are not that far apart either.

Jim Pollock   ;)

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006, 01:37:05 PM »
Open to correction, but I think Jumbo was publisehed as for a 49. However, it's got enough squares, and if 49 is good, 60 could be better!  :)
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2006, 06:55:13 PM »
Open to correction, but I think Jumbo was publisehed as for a 49. However, it's got enough squares, and if 49 is good, 60 could be better!  :)

Ian,

The Model Airplane News article and plans for the Jumbo showed a McCoy Red Head 60 with the rear intake.

In the article, the following is quoted:

"The model may be powered by any .49 to .65 engine.  A hot .35 would probably give sufficient power if weight is kept low with a lightweight finish."

The article also states  "A pair of Walker pressure tanks are the best bet for a racing engine like the McCoy 60, as even running is assured and no restrictor is needed."

The article also states that "this model ...performed the stunt pattern with ease on 100 ft. lines."

Flying one of these things would be a real experience.

Keith

Eric Viglione

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2006, 08:20:16 PM »
I am following this thread with interest myself, as I have discussed this very thing with people in the past.

There were three versions of the Shark 45 if I remember correctly, the larger of the three being the WC plane?

I believe Steve is looking for something competitive in the upper levels of Expert, and a non I-beam solution, since he is a foamy builder mostly. That leaves out the likes of the USA-1, which is a little weight sensitive anyways.

Southwicks Skylark 46 would probably be excellent with a DS60 also, man that thing has a thick wing!

How about y'all familiar with the UK published planes? Anything from over sea's in the 60 size for classic that would still compete at the top levels?

EricV

Offline Steve Holt

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2006, 11:37:04 PM »
Bob Whitely's Hawker Hunter.  About the size of  a Shark, Bob's current airplane has a ST60 in it.  Kit is available from RSM.
Steve

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2006, 08:49:14 AM »
I am following this thread with interest myself, as I have discussed this very thing with people in the past.

There were three versions of the Shark 45 if I remember correctly, the larger of the three being the WC plane?

I believe Steve is looking for something competitive in the upper levels of Expert, and a non I-beam solution, since he is a foamy builder mostly. That leaves out the likes of the USA-1, which is a little weight sensitive anyways.

Southwicks Skylark 46 would probably be excellent with a DS60 also, man that thing has a thick wing!

How about y'all familiar with the UK published planes? Anything from over sea's in the 60 size for classic that would still compete at the top levels?

EricV

Hi Eric,

Yeah, Stevie Boy IS a wimp......... but he NEEDS to build a GOOD airplane!  **) **)

The USA-1 is still my top chioce for a double duty plane in the size category he is wanting.  I would also recommend the Skylark 46 since it is a great flying plane.

Steve just has to get away from the foamies for a minute and actually build a real plane!!!!!  j1 j1 n~ n~

Anyway, he has a standing invitation to visit the Fortress of Solitude for a weekend and build a USA-1.  %^

(lova ya Steve!)

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2006, 04:27:25 PM »
Bill why don't we get together and build three of them in one weekend. I could precut all my parts and pre build the spar. I broke the spare in my first one during a flight at Hunterville. It didn't crash but I had to recover it after fixing the spar.The hot set up is to use the first Junar wing in it.
Ed

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2006, 05:16:19 PM »
Bill why don't we get together and build three of them in one weekend. I could precut all my parts and pre build the spar. I broke the spare in my first one during a flight at Hunterville. It didn't crash but I had to recover it after fixing the spar.The hot set up is to use the first Junar wing in it.
Ed

Hi Ed,

I am all for it!  I get about 10 days off at Christmas, and I need a new USA-1 real bad.  y1  The glass table is 42 by 72 or there abouts which holds the USA-1 with no problems.  I have been threatening to cut out the ribs for months.  n~

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Airacobra

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2006, 07:07:09 AM »
Just Do it Bill, When those 10 days come, you will have the most time consuming, difficult part done. Besides, I want to see you build another one. This time, do a building post like Sparky does. Take care, Keith
Keith Bryant

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2006, 07:20:38 AM »
Just Do it Bill, When those 10 days come, you will have the most time consuming, difficult part done. Besides, I want to see you build another one. This time, do a building post like Sparky does. Take care, Keith

HI Keith,

I will get things ready to take pictures of the build.  It will take a bit of cleaning up in the Fortress of Solitude before I can take pictures!   **) **)

Looking for a .60 size P-39 to use my LJ St 60 in......... know where I might find one?  ??? ??? ???  ;D

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Airacobra

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2006, 07:55:57 AM »
I hear ya Bill, those 39 plans will be done soon and in the mail to you. I look forward to giving you a set, I really would like for you to build one and put your own spin on it. Maybe we can meet up at Brodak in the future with 2 new ones!
Keith Bryant

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2006, 11:45:12 AM »
I hear ya Bill, those 39 plans will be done soon and in the mail to you. I look forward to giving you a set, I really would like for you to build one and put your own spin on it. Maybe we can meet up at Brodak in the future with 2 new ones!

Thanks, Keith!  I have always liked th eP-39, and I have not run a Big Jim ST 60 before, so it will be a lot of fun to get that set up working.  Yours looked like it flew great at Brodaks, and I am looking forward to it.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2006, 06:35:58 PM »
Bill I was working on a I/Beam sv-11 but I will order the wood I need for a USA-1 and start making parts for it next week. I also have a 6 ft glass top table. My last USA-1 wa built on a very uneven potable business table. I have found a way to make the 1/2 square trailing edge very strong and twist resistance and it is very light. No carbon needed.
Ed

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2006, 08:10:42 AM »
I have two .60 sized Classics in the works for future publication.

Allen Brickhaus

Eric Viglione

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2006, 09:48:57 AM »
f~ Allen, you TEASE!  **)[/size]

I have two .60 sized Classics in the works for future publication.

Allen Brickhaus

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2006, 11:57:45 AM »
"Ignore that man behind the curtain, ignore that man behind the curtain......"

Actually they were easy to find.

Allen Brickhaus

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Captain
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2006, 11:58:34 AM »
There are three actually,  the domestic one is the hardest to document so far.

Allen Brickhaus

Offline John Rakes

• Ensign
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2006, 07:09:57 PM »
Hey Fitton. Put it on them with your GATOR STUNTWAGON. Tommy Luper can! Ill bet you on that!
John Rakes

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2006, 01:02:30 PM »
An off the wall suggestion is Bernie Ash's Supersonic Stunter. Originally used a Veco 45 and could easily accomodate an ST 60 or rear exhaust, muffled 60. Bit airplane, but  not so much span.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2006, 09:50:14 PM »
Both the Larakin Mk.1 and Mk.III  are Classic Legit and really need .60's, as both are over 700 sq. inches. The Mk. 1 looks something like a "Smoothie on Steroids" (simple build), while the Mk.III looks a lot like P.Tindall's "Chipmonk". I have plans for the Mk.III. I wanna build the Mk.1. They were designed and built by Brian Horrock of Aussie, and won the '59 and '61 "Gold Cup" at the British NATS.  Tom Dixon has the plans, as does Peter White, of Western Aussie. I have some pictures, if anybody's interested. The Mk. III is on the left in the 2nd pic.
 n~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Captain
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2006, 11:59:33 AM »
I love those pictures.

Thank you,

Allen Brickhaus

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2006, 12:14:30 PM »
Both the Larikin Mk3 and the Dingo seem like pretty cool looking planes.  I'm guesssing the Dingo is a 40-46 size ship from the photo.
Steve

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2006, 10:52:55 PM »
 I'm not sure who designed the Dingo, but you might find out on the Vic-Stunt website. It may or may not be a Horrock design. It kinda resembles the Skylark with a bit of Chizzler thrown in for  f~ effect.  In those days, probably a .35 of some sort. Maybe Merco, since Brian lived in England for awhile. I gotta wonder how he got that Larakin Mk.III out to the flying field, considering the size of English cars. The Mk.I only has a 54" span, with 700", or so says the info on Dixon's website. He used Glow Chief .49's in the Larakins (which is an Ozzie term meaning "Agreeable/Likeable Fellow"). It's such a pretty engine, here's a pic. It shows some K&B Greenhead heritage, but was made in Oz by Gordon Burford. This pristine example is owned by Peter Lloyd of Victoria, Oz.  #^ Steve

PS: Regarding Allen B.'s .60 Classic models, I bet one is Dutch, with many fins!
I'm curious...
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2006, 09:25:02 PM »
Oh Stevie Boy!

I am under the impression that Large James was flying a Patternmaster before 1970!   ;D

I wish someone would verify that............ y1
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2006, 10:58:23 PM »
Jose might know.  But I was under the impression that Mike Rogers said 1976 for the PM when I talked to him last year.

BTW, a Large James artifact of a very interesting sort just turned up in these parts, something that had been gathering dust for as many as 22 years.  Pics to follow when it is examined some more..... y1
Steve

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2006, 06:10:10 AM »
Jose might know.  But I was under the impression that Mike Rogers said 1976 for the PM when I talked to him last year.

BTW, a Large James artifact of a very interesting sort just turned up in these parts, something that had been gathering dust for as many as 22 years.  Pics to follow when it is examined some more..... y1

Andy Lee made a nice CD of all the years he was actively involved in Stunt flying, including up to a year or so ago.  There is a picture on there of Jim flying some sort of big Patternmaster "looking" plane form the late '60s time frame.  Not sure *exactly* if it was the final iteration of the PM or an earlier version of something similar.  I need to ask Champione......... wish he would comment here!

Point is, I *think* there is a BJ plane of some kind that is Classic legal, and you have been flying similarly based planes in PAMPA lately.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2006, 06:31:59 AM »
Andy Lee made a nice CD of all the years he was actively involved in Stunt flying, including up to a year or so ago.  There is a picture on there of Jim flying some sort of big Patternmaster "looking" plane form the late '60s time frame.  Not sure *exactly* if it was the final iteration of the PM or an earlier version of something similar.  I need to ask Champione......... wish he would comment here!

Point is, I *think* there is a BJ plane of some kind that is Classic legal, and you have been flying similarly based planes in PAMPA lately.

Bill <><

That's the problem for me. I moved to the east coast in 1965 and many of the north east guys were flying "different" planes from my usual Nobler.

The problem I remember is the planes were still the smaller sizes. Windy's Sweeper was a total anomaly and I don't remember anyone else doing that for a while. My memories are fuzzy. I was in and out of CL during the late 60's, early 70's.  n~

I agree we need professional help.  ~^

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2006, 06:41:17 PM »
Bob Whitely's Hawker Hunter.  About the size of  a Shark, Bob's current airplane has a ST60 in it.  Kit is available from RSM.
Steve

Steve, does the Hunter have an anhedral stab/elevator in it?  From photos I've seen, it doesn't, but somebody was discussing that it did have anhedral on one of the forums somewhere......
Steve

Offline Steve Holt

• Commander
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2006, 01:15:15 PM »
Steve,
I'm almost certain that it has a flat stab.  Bob was out flying this morning but did not bring the Hunter.  I'll see him again on Sunday and will confirm for sure.  I've looked at a lot of details on the airplane and would have noticed if the stab was not flat.
Steve

Offline Steve Holt

• Commander
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2006, 12:02:47 PM »
I looked at Whitely's Hunter today and the stab is flat.
Steve

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2006, 09:27:39 PM »
I bought the Hawker Hunter kit. Turns out it's a restyled Shark 45. Joe Dill did a Crusader version of the Shark 45, and it looks (see Shultzie's forum) like it could be Classic Legit. Maybe Don can figure it out?  :! Steve

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2006, 09:08:29 AM »
Thanks, Steve Holt for the Hunter info.  I might have to snag a set of plans to peek at them!

Steve

Offline Steve Holt

• Commander
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2006, 12:00:02 PM »
I bought the Hawker Hunter kit. Turns out it's a restyled Shark 45. Joe Dill did a Crusader version of the Shark 45, and it looks (see Shultzie's forum) like it could be Classic Legit. Maybe Don can figure it out?  :! Steve

We've got too many Steve's on this topic.  The Hunter is indeed Shark 45 aero with a few of Bob's tweeks and a great restyling job.  The original Hunter was built prior to 1970 so it is indeed classic legal. 
Whitely had intended to fly his in classic at the nats, but when classic was moved to the grass he decided to fly his Nobler instead.  Pretty good when you win with your back-up airplane.
Steve

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Captain
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2006, 08:39:01 PM »
Steve Helmick has a great sense of where my mind is going.  Good job Steve.

Allen Brickhaus

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2006, 10:25:20 PM »
That'll be interesting, Alan. I'll look for it. Not much known here about the Dutch designs, other than tiny 2 views in Aero Modeller. Is Brickhaus a Dutch name, maybe?  :! Steve

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2007, 08:37:36 AM »
Ian,

The Model Airplane News article and plans for the Jumbo showed a McCoy Red Head 60 with the rear intake.

In the article, the following is quoted:

"The model may be powered by any .49 to .65 engine.  A hot .35 would probably give sufficient power if weight is kept low with a lightweight finish."

The article also states  "A pair of Walker pressure tanks are the best bet for a racing engine like the McCoy 60, as even running is assured and no restrictor is needed."

The article also states that "this model ...performed the stunt pattern with ease on 100 ft. lines."

Flying one of these things would be a real experience.

Keith

To Keith and all who have mentioned the "Jumbo".   I have one hanging in the basement.  It is one huge airplane.  Carving the huge balsa blocks was a chore.  The wing was a blast to build.  The stab and elevator are huge also.  But the fuselage does not have enough room for a decent size tank.  I wedged in 5.5 ounce tank behind a Fox 45.  Yes the plans and article do recommend a McCoy Rehead 60.  He also stated he flew on 100 foot lines.  I don't know how he did it.  Ask John Bender about the maiden flight of my Jumbo.  After getting a few wingovers and climbs and dives I started the pattern.  About the third lap after the engine warmed up good it disappeared.  Talk about flutter.  The only way I could control the flutter was by constantly altering level flight or doing consecutive loops.  If I can keep speed down to 5.3 second laps on 65 X .018 lines there is no problem other than I can only get thru the horizontal eights.  Have tried to find 13 X 3 or 4 props for it.  I think I have a 12 X 4 on it now.  I do not recommend the Jumbo.  If you want something big/huge go with the Sweeper.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline NED-088

• Commander
    • Heartstrings
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2007, 05:16:36 PM »
That'll be interesting, Alan. I'll look for it. Not much known here about the Dutch designs, other than tiny 2 views in Aero Modeller. Is Brickhaus a Dutch name, maybe?  :! Steve
Which Dutch designs? I guess Alan knows all there is to know, but maybe I can help.H^^ I'm still after Wim Cator, who designed and flew the Plano, reminded me of a .49 Nobler. Drop me a PM, if you'd like...

Brick is English and Haus is German, you do the math.... :!
'If you think there's something about my English, you're right. I'm Dutch... '
But I DO play Stunt and I DO fly Bluegrass.

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2007, 09:48:46 PM »
Surprised no one mentioned Larry Scarinzi's Blue Angel published with Fox 59 power!  Of course, substituing any other engine for the 59 would be SACRILEGE!  n1
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2007, 09:11:47 PM »
Dennis...you hit a chord with the Blue Angel. Tho, I prefer the white version on the left, due to the wing mounted main gear. Barry Simmons, I think. You wouldn't happen to know anything about this guy or his plane?  Does anybody know Larry Scarinzi well enough to ask him for any possible info? Drawings or more photos, or help tracking down Barry? One of my missions in life is to poke at folks to save Classic designs that turn my crank!  mw~ LL~

Randy Cuberly is flying a Blue Angel with a .46LA...nice combo, I bet. A ST .46 would be great, too. I'm not real sure how much area it has, maybe 600? A B.40 could be nice, if the CG isn't a problem.  Apparently, Dawn Cosmillo flew this same basic design, with a Fox .35. More data would be great! Schultzie? Anybody? S?P Steve

« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 07:54:38 PM by Steve Helmick »

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2007, 09:13:31 AM »
Steve,

We all used to fly together at the old Richie's Hobbytowne, Parsippany, NJ

Barry Simmons, won JR at the NAts, and disappeared shortly after.

I talked to Dawn's brother Jim, last year. He says that she is a grandmother now, and is still great looking. She has no interest in flying again.

Larry of course is still active. If you have never spent time with Larry, you have missed an unforgetable experience. My son Craig and I were at a swap meet, and watched (and laughed) as Larry held up the food line as he tried to talk the young lady at the  cash register down on the price of a $.10 doughnut!

In spite of his show of being tighter than Jack Benny, he is really a generous guy, who has helped many people.
AMA 7544

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2007, 07:30:30 PM »
I finally got to meet Larry Scarinzi at Brodaks.  A really neat guy, but I think I creeped him out when I started quoting text from his articles!  Anyhow, he said that Barry did not fly a Blue Angel clone, rather it was a similar looking design, somewhat smaller.  He indicated that Dawn C flew a model similar to Barry's a few years later...

Steve, I think your quest mght be to find THAT airplane (Dawns) available in plans..?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2007, 11:54:36 PM »
Dennis,
I am glad you got to talk to Larry. I didn't remember the details of Barry's airplane, but now that I think about it, Barry didn't have an airplane with  .59

I am almost positive that Dawn's airplane was based on a JD Falcon. I flew one of her airplanes the week end after the 1st ever OTS contest in 1970. I took 3rd with no appearance points, and refused the trophy, since it was not my airplane. The airplane was heavy, but flew well and was easy to fly.
AMA 7544

Willis Swindell

« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2007, 05:49:32 AM »
Brodak is planning to kit the Blue Angel some time in the future . While at the Brodak shop with Larry Scarinzi this week, he was getting a copy of the plans for some one. I almost asked for a copy myself wish I had now.
Willis

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2007, 10:51:15 AM »
To Keith and all who have mentioned the "Jumbo".   I have one hanging in the basement.  It is one huge airplane.  Carving the huge balsa blocks was a chore.  The wing was a blast to build.  The stab and elevator are huge also.  But the fuselage does not have enough room for a decent size tank.  I wedged in 5.5 ounce tank behind a Fox 45.  Yes the plans and article do recommend a McCoy Rehead 60.  He also stated he flew on 100 foot lines.  I don't know how he did it.  Ask John Bender about the maiden flight of my Jumbo.  After getting a few wingovers and climbs and dives I started the pattern.  About the third lap after the engine warmed up good it disappeared.  Talk about flutter.  The only way I could control the flutter was by constantly altering level flight or doing consecutive loops.  If I can keep speed down to 5.3 second laps on 65 X .018 lines there is no problem other than I can only get thru the horizontal eights.  Have tried to find 13 X 3 or 4 props for it.  I think I have a 12 X 4 on it now.  I do not recommend the Jumbo.  If you want something big/huge go with the Sweeper.  DOC Holliday

Here are a couple of scans from MAN 1956 April issue story about the JUMBO.
Gads...I am datin' myself...into the oldGrunt club BIG TIME. AMAZING that I can actually remember buying that magazine at my favorite DesMoines Model Shop the day before the owner was going to compete at The DesMoines Airports annual AirFair...where he was a habitual stunt winner with his famous black open cockpit Palmer Smoothie. Yes, he won the contest again that next day...but check this out!!!

The BLUE ANGELS WERE IN TOWN at the same time as the model contest......and flew their amazing flight demo using their beautiful BEARCATS!

(HOW IS THAT FOR DATIN' MYSELF INTO THE OLD-STUNTGRUNT-GRANDPA CLUB?)

Modeling was really a coooooool thing in those days...and I was equally blown away watching that beautiful shiney black Smoooooothie stunter cut through that Spring time stiff gusty wind with such precision. (If Sparky is lurking---the Iowa sky rained lots of balsa confettii' that day as the gusts were really a test of skill and will.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 11:08:18 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here