News:

• April 28, 2024, 11:10:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 60 Size Classic Planes  (Read 7538 times)

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: 60 Size Classic Planes
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2007, 09:11:47 PM »
Dennis...you hit a chord with the Blue Angel. Tho, I prefer the white version on the left, due to the wing mounted main gear. Barry Simmons, I think. You wouldn't happen to know anything about this guy or his plane?  Does anybody know Larry Scarinzi well enough to ask him for any possible info? Drawings or more photos, or help tracking down Barry? One of my missions in life is to poke at folks to save Classic designs that turn my crank!  mw~ LL~

Randy Cuberly is flying a Blue Angel with a .46LA...nice combo, I bet. A ST .46 would be great, too. I'm not real sure how much area it has, maybe 600? A B.40 could be nice, if the CG isn't a problem.  Apparently, Dawn Cosmillo flew this same basic design, with a Fox .35. More data would be great! Schultzie? Anybody? S?P Steve

« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 07:54:38 PM by Steve Helmick »
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2007, 09:13:31 AM »
Steve,

We all used to fly together at the old Richie's Hobbytowne, Parsippany, NJ

Barry Simmons, won JR at the NAts, and disappeared shortly after.

I talked to Dawn's brother Jim, last year. He says that she is a grandmother now, and is still great looking. She has no interest in flying again.

Larry of course is still active. If you have never spent time with Larry, you have missed an unforgetable experience. My son Craig and I were at a swap meet, and watched (and laughed) as Larry held up the food line as he tried to talk the young lady at the  cash register down on the price of a $.10 doughnut!

In spite of his show of being tighter than Jack Benny, he is really a generous guy, who has helped many people.
AMA 7544

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2007, 07:30:30 PM »
I finally got to meet Larry Scarinzi at Brodaks.  A really neat guy, but I think I creeped him out when I started quoting text from his articles!  Anyhow, he said that Barry did not fly a Blue Angel clone, rather it was a similar looking design, somewhat smaller.  He indicated that Dawn C flew a model similar to Barry's a few years later...

Steve, I think your quest mght be to find THAT airplane (Dawns) available in plans..?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2007, 11:54:36 PM »
Dennis,
I am glad you got to talk to Larry. I didn't remember the details of Barry's airplane, but now that I think about it, Barry didn't have an airplane with  .59

I am almost positive that Dawn's airplane was based on a JD Falcon. I flew one of her airplanes the week end after the 1st ever OTS contest in 1970. I took 3rd with no appearance points, and refused the trophy, since it was not my airplane. The airplane was heavy, but flew well and was easy to fly.
AMA 7544

Willis Swindell

« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2007, 05:49:32 AM »
Brodak is planning to kit the Blue Angel some time in the future . While at the Brodak shop with Larry Scarinzi this week, he was getting a copy of the plans for some one. I almost asked for a copy myself wish I had now.
Willis

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2007, 10:51:15 AM »
To Keith and all who have mentioned the "Jumbo".   I have one hanging in the basement.  It is one huge airplane.  Carving the huge balsa blocks was a chore.  The wing was a blast to build.  The stab and elevator are huge also.  But the fuselage does not have enough room for a decent size tank.  I wedged in 5.5 ounce tank behind a Fox 45.  Yes the plans and article do recommend a McCoy Rehead 60.  He also stated he flew on 100 foot lines.  I don't know how he did it.  Ask John Bender about the maiden flight of my Jumbo.  After getting a few wingovers and climbs and dives I started the pattern.  About the third lap after the engine warmed up good it disappeared.  Talk about flutter.  The only way I could control the flutter was by constantly altering level flight or doing consecutive loops.  If I can keep speed down to 5.3 second laps on 65 X .018 lines there is no problem other than I can only get thru the horizontal eights.  Have tried to find 13 X 3 or 4 props for it.  I think I have a 12 X 4 on it now.  I do not recommend the Jumbo.  If you want something big/huge go with the Sweeper.  DOC Holliday

Here are a couple of scans from MAN 1956 April issue story about the JUMBO.
Gads...I am datin' myself...into the oldGrunt club BIG TIME. AMAZING that I can actually remember buying that magazine at my favorite DesMoines Model Shop the day before the owner was going to compete at The DesMoines Airports annual AirFair...where he was a habitual stunt winner with his famous black open cockpit Palmer Smoothie. Yes, he won the contest again that next day...but check this out!!!

The BLUE ANGELS WERE IN TOWN at the same time as the model contest......and flew their amazing flight demo using their beautiful BEARCATS!

(HOW IS THAT FOR DATIN' MYSELF INTO THE OLD-STUNTGRUNT-GRANDPA CLUB?)

Modeling was really a coooooool thing in those days...and I was equally blown away watching that beautiful shiney black Smoooooothie stunter cut through that Spring time stiff gusty wind with such precision. (If Sparky is lurking---the Iowa sky rained lots of balsa confettii' that day as the gusts were really a test of skill and will.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 11:08:18 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here