News:

• May 12, 2024, 02:19:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sheeks Knight- in kit form  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Ty Marcucci

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Sheeks Knight- in kit form
« on: November 19, 2007, 12:30:12 PM »
Well, a few weeks ago I was at this stage. Lots and lots of ribs. It is progressing.
Ty Marcucci

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Sheeks Knight- in kit form
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 07:11:50 PM »
Good grief, Ty! How many projects do you have going? You've got four posted right now!
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 12:48:15 AM »
Ty,

You are a building fool!

I hope you can have one of the Sheeks airplanes at VSC.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 11:49:21 PM by Tom Niebuhr »
AMA 7544

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 03:35:14 PM »
Is this a Ty kitted Knight, or a someone else kitted Knight?   ;D
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 04:44:45 PM »
Lets see, three in primer, one almost ready for final primer, two on the table,  three in kit form and 6 ready for test flights. Retired life is great.  To heck with yard work, hire the kid next door. H^^ LL~ y1 #^

Ya know Ty, if you didn't BUILD so much you'd have more time to FLY!  (huh?)   VD~  H^^ LL~
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 08:57:23 PM »
Ty,

That's an interesing way to go about it. I usually select the wood for each assembly and set it aside with templates the take the wood and templates and do one assembly at a time. I cut the parts for that assembly and build it then attack the next stack of wood.

Guess we all go about things differently
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 07:05:35 AM »
Gee, guys, I wish I knew HOW I built these things........I lay out a set of plans and some wood and they just show up on my work bench after a while, ready to cover.........
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 08:29:34 PM »
Nothing like retirement.  Went back to work as I have no more room for airplanes.  Isn't I-Beam construction great.  When I built the Staggerwing I sliced about a hundred ribs, that only did one wing.  Need to find my plans for the Sheeks Spitfire.  Later and have fun,   DOC Holliday

Last summer, Jack told me he thought the Spitfire was one of the best of all his published designs.  I do not remember seeing it the first time around, but I ordered the plans last week!  That will make 10 sets of Sheeks plans, but I already picked out the Swinger -

but the Demon is nice too

or maybe the Stuka,

but the Torino really flies well

and I always liked the Ryan SC

but the Shiek is SOOOO bold

Then there's the Stuntliner

(sigh)

(

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 08:50:59 PM »
Dennis,

I have the same problem. I've got 5 or 6 Sheeks plans and have dithered over which I will build. It will be one of them.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 05:11:52 PM »
One good thinbg about "most" of Jacks planes,  the I beamers, is they all use the same ribs. Think about it.  All except the Knight.  H^^ #^

Is the Knight airfoil like the Torino & Scottsman?  More curvature in the aft section than the "flat back" airfoil he used earlier?  I kinda liked the aft curved foil better.  Then again, I'd think you could make almost ANY beamer using the ribs from almost any other beamer - provided you also tweaked the spar depth a little - though not quite Hoyle...  VD~

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 08:05:32 AM »
Lou,

Jack never said that his airplanes are all easy to build!

I am always learning to admire Jack more each day. He was, and is, never afraid to push the envelope.

He is currently working on a scale project that I was able to give some info on. I will not name the airplane at this time, but it is another "shove to the envelope" even for a scale project!
AMA 7544

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 03:25:44 PM »
TY,

Lou is talking about the "Shiek", with the complicated anhedral and dihedral sections.

Of, we know that you are building the "Knight", which was inspired by the "Rivets"
AMA 7544

Offline Dave Reyes

• New Pilot
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 06:27:36 PM »
Ty,

I've built the Knight and the Sheik.  The Sheik is plenty strong.  I originally covered it with monokote, back in the day when I didn't know better.  It held up just fine.  I eventually stripped the monokote off and refinished it in silkspan when I found out there was no strength added with monokote.  Glad no one was around to see the monokote version.  It's a sin to cover an I-beam with monokote.  I crashed at Brodak 2004 I believe it was and rebuilt it for the 2005.  It's pretty much a hanger queen these days.

I'm an avid builder of Jack Sheeks planes.  Built (3) Spirit of Saginaws which was designed by Jack (per Jack..he gave the design to someone else to publish, Puchini (sp) was the guys last name) it's  a great profile, not Classic legal unfortunetly.  A future project is to build a full fuse version of it.  I've also built (2) of his Hurricanes.

BTW, the Knight plans show the landing gear mounted on the fuselage but if you look at the pictures in the construction article the main gear are wing mounted.  It was difficult to get the wing mounted gear to track well, so Jack changed the drawings.  Man... I wish I could make it to VSC.

Dave Reyes

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here