News:

• April 28, 2024, 08:55:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Two for the Money" one for the show:)  (Read 1810 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
"Two for the Money" one for the show:)
« on: February 11, 2009, 12:11:51 PM »
 I found this old photo when trying to find more of my old Canada Internat photos...in an old shoe box.  Talk about LAUGHIN MY BACK SIDES OFF...  LL~ LL~
Here is a shot that Ben Madsen took of our trip to Canada...hummmmmmmmmmm?
Now that ya think about it...BEN  WAS RIGHT!!!
I DID LOOK LIKE A NURSE MAID in those daze-days?

Don Shultz

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: "Two for the Money" one for the show:)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 02:54:11 PM »
Donald!

It looks like you swallowed a gallon of bleach!

The first time I ever saw Bob Gialdini, was at the '61 Nats. He had the white "Olympics", and he dressed entirely in white. Bob started that long lasting fad.

Of course, Bob continued the "Religion of White" with his "Sting Ray" and "Eclipse".

Don, you were a true member ot the "White Cult"!
AMA 7544

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 05:08:57 PM »
Hey Donaldo THAT's what we've been waiting for - STING RAY pix!  Yours are still some of my favorite birds of all time.  CLP** BW@

...so who is the handsome young Good Humor man posing your airplanes for you?  ???  :o  :-X  ;D  010!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 05:14:11 PM »

...so who is the handsome young Good Humor man posing your airplanes for you?  ???  :o  :-X  ;D  010!
na# **)
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 05:39:15 PM »
Shultzie,

Tell em, if you build the same plane enough times, do you get better?   ;D
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 11:07:58 PM »
This is odd because I still wear those dungie old jeans and baseball caps and I don't do good paint jobs- Does this mean I am a nonconformist. I did have a pair of white jeans once but i ruined them adjusting my brakes on my old plymouth in the middle of Halsey street one day. My one day of glory was a failure and I havn't been right since. HB~> HB~> HB~>

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 10:09:31 AM »
Shultzie,

Tell em, if you build the same plane enough times, do you get better?   ;D

I think I proved just how much I gotten better...last week end at the NARROWS CRASH SITE!  :o :oLL~ LL~ VD~ n~
Don Shultz

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 02:50:39 PM »
I think I proved just how much I gotten better...last week end at the NARROWS CRASH SITE!  :o :oLL~ LL~ VD~ n~
Us retreads all go thru some kind of stuff thats not neat so don't worry about it. All you have to worry about is the razzing I will give you the next time I see you "Crash" LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ HB~>

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 03:21:22 PM »
Leo,

He's just impersonating his flying and "dressing" hero, Bob Gialdini!

Jim Pollock    LL~

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 06:26:41 PM »
The "getup" looks more like a 1930's tennis players outfit. Very retro. Bring it back, too neat and good for 5 extra appearance points.  LL~ H^^ y1 #^ #^ #^

LL~ LL~
Yes...Bob did make a HUGE INFLUNENCE or should I say "IMPACT!" on legions of stunt grunts in those daze days...
However no matter how hard I tried...I could never begin to achieve either the building, finishing or flying abilities...that Bob Gialdini seemingly so easily mastered.
Don Shultz

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 09:33:06 PM »
That's the first that I have seen a "Sting Ray" with the dark blue accents. I have always like Bob's cockpits too. I can remember a miniature Playboy magazine in one of his "Sting Rays"

I have always liked the "Ray" and Bob is a great guy to know. Bob is and was a craftsman as well as a great flyer.I hope that he doing well.

He gave me the biggest compliment one year at VSC when he admired my airplane. You could have knocked me over with a feather, since he was one of the heroes that I always looked up to.

Looking at the "Sting Ray" today, shows how much things have changed. The tail surfaces look minuscule, they also seem a little different on this version. I will have to check the drawing.

I bet it still would be a great flying airplane, with a modern .40 or .46... Wow.

I wish that I had time to build all the airplanes that I like. I also have some new designs that I am working on... just not enough time in the day.

PS: Don,
A close look shows no leading edge rib reflections on this particular "Sting Ray". Is that just the camera fooling us?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 09:52:57 PM by Tom Niebuhr »
AMA 7544

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 09:00:04 AM »

PS: Don,
A close look shows no leading edge rib reflections on this particular "Sting Ray". Is that just the camera fooling us?

Are you referring to the reflections off the leading edge portions of the ribs...or just  painted silver boot accent stripes?
I can not remember ANY accents on either Bob's Sting Ray's or Eclipses except for what appars to be a plastic like landing light on the inboard wing panel as shown in this photo?  H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 09:18:58 AM »
Here is as close as I could scan the canopy detail for that Playboy magazine that you mentioned?
Now that I think about it.....in those daze days....I seem to remember that quite a few stunt model canopies started showing up with lots of details..including maps, clpa patterns on clip boards etc? (However I can also remember after months of practice pattern flying just how annoying it must have been to see them rattlin' around inside the canopies...after they "came loose from engine vibration? LL~
Don Shultz

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 03:05:09 PM »
Don,

What I mean by no leading edge reflections, is that the ribs don't highlight like an I beamer.  (Yes, I am familiar with the construction of the published "Stingray", which has no leading edge sheeting, and 5/16" spars with shear webs alternating 1/32" ply and 3/32" balsa)  This results in the "I-Beamer look", with a modified construction.

Does this particular "Stingray" have a sheeted leading edge, or is it just the camera fooling us?

On second thought, IMG252 above of the nose, does look like the leading edge ribs show on the bottom if you look real close. So, I guess it is just the camera angle and lighting that makes the L.E. look sheeted.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 03:23:03 PM by Tom Niebuhr »
AMA 7544

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here