News:

• April 30, 2024, 03:42:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Legal" mods for Classic?  (Read 3111 times)

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
"Legal" mods for Classic?
« on: May 30, 2007, 06:33:15 AM »
I percieve that classic "rules" seem to have some different interpretations by regions.  Question is how many "mods" are legal?  I understand that (non visible) changes to improve structural integrity are OK, but I desparately want to shorten the flaps on an Oriental.  Will that get me keelhauled?  Or worse, will it get me DQ'd? :o

Note: if I had built an Oriental in 1964 or later I would have built it with shortened flaps - just like every other airplane I ever had.  The Oriental ARF I have flies well but will fly much better with the flaps shortened.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: "Legal" mods for Classic?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 07:07:34 AM »
Dennis,

Great question.

As I understand it, you wouldn't be DQ'd, but may suffer loosing some Appearance, and, or, where used, Fidelity points, in the worst case.

It can be argued that what you want to do is a trim issue. Might work out.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 11:50:07 AM by John Miller »
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 08:46:56 AM »
Hi Dennis,

Being an ARF, you would lose AP anyway, if the contest is even using them.  And, if no AP is in effect, then no originality points are used, so no penalty at all is a possible outcome.

Bill <><
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 07:11:31 PM by Bill Little »
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 09:05:39 PM »
Jim P:
Very appropriate smiley; "I am not a crook".   >:D

Ty
I'll bet if I had not said anything no one would have cared, like NASCAR, its only cheatin if you get caught!  S?P

Bill:
If I modify the ARF enough can I convince people that it is not really an ARF anymore? (ok, that's a stretch!)  :!

John M:
SInce Gialdini's Olympic construction article in 1963, the cat has been out of the bag on shortening flaps.  My brother built a modified Nobler around then with full span flaps, it would not turn, so he cut off the last 5 " or so and that MADE it a stunt plane.  Thus cutting flaps as a trim fix has been out there for a LOOOONG time.  y1
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 10:00:25 PM »
What about reducing chord of flaps? Wouldn't that give the desired effect but less noticeable visually? Maybe it would make a difference on tip stall characteristics ?
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 10:11:27 PM »
I have also been pondering what penalty I would suffer on the classic I will be starting on. I need to widen the nose to allow room for a PA or RO jett. The original was built for a torpedo 45 K&B which is about 1.225" wide and the PA is 1.400" not sure on the RO Jett measurement yet. The plane has just under 710" wing area and could use the power but the nose is 10.250 long  and these newer bigger engines are heavier (11oz.apprx.) than the 8.5oz. K&B. I would love to shorten the nose or move the wing forward an inch but there goes the penalty points.
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 11:10:33 PM »
It's pretty well been accepted that, unless the changes are extreme, you will be allowed to fly at VSC. I can 't imagine a contest where they've forgotten that Classic is supposed to be fun.

Most of the questions so far generally fall into trim issues. Don't get too worried about the type of changes that would come from what has been discussed so far.

John Miller
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 09:58:14 AM »
I can 't imagine a contest where they've forgotten that Classic is supposed to be fun.

This is such a profound statement it deserves to be repeated. Thanks, John.  H^^

At my first Classic contest, I flew my little Oriental against a profile Cardinal. While not exactly "legal" by anyone's terms, it didn't matter - we had a lot of fun.

Take care,

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 06:01:54 PM »
What? you guys are having FUN??? I thought we were all at each others throats!!!  HB~>

Of course I'm kidding, John & Ron THANK YOU for keeping our eyes on the REAL prize!  BW@

When we took the Oriental out we had a great fun day.  The bird needed a few tweaks; props, line rake, tip weight - the usual litany, and EVERY thing we did made it just a little bit better.  WHAT A HOOT when it all works!  Last thing we wanted to try was to cut back the flaps and improve the 88 degree square corners!

Gordon: Reducing the flap area will reduce control loads, however, the REAL problem I am going after is the shed vortex at the wing tip - and flap tip.  Full span flaps, in effect, have to turn that column of air, but if the flaps end 4" or 5" inboard, the flaps stay free of the worst of the vortex - controls lightened, & corners tightened.

Gordon's question about mods for a larger engine is also interesting.  However, I would suggest that an LA 40 or LA46 as well as numerous other similar modern engines are available that are roughly the same size & weight of a K&B 45 but which would be vastly more powerful - have you considered any of those possibilities?

BTW I have a K&B 45 if you are interested, but don't know if the darned thing will actually run...!  ;)

Ty: Steve Wooley had some business dealings in Detroit area and as a result he built/finished a LOT of the Cobra in Big Art's basement while he was semi-living in town.  I loved Steve, but I'm with you.  You might have lost "fidelity" points for not painting it green, but I think you should have earned some "good taste" points!

Still magical when we can capture the flair of the original, even if we do not completely duplicate it.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 08:26:04 AM »
WHAT?????????  Steve's Mint Julip Green isn't PRETTY??  BLASPHEMY!!!!!

**) **) **) **)

(BTW: Billy sent me a piece of torn silkspan that came off of one of Steve's planes and had all the colors on it.  I matched them at the auto paint store)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 05:32:49 PM »
Ty:
Ringmasters are just "aesthetically challenged". n~

Bill:
I'm just a damnyankee but I never had a mint julep that was GREEN.(?)   %^
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 07:53:58 PM »
They ain't, but "mint" is a green color, and you know that old Southerners made stuff up like that............;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 08:36:39 PM »
If you mean mint green like Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream then we ARE on the same page!  #^
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 10:39:38 PM »
If you mean mint green like Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream then we ARE on the same page!  #^

Hmmmmmm.......... Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream......... hmmmmmmmm....
(think Homer Simpson when reading that! ;D )

Now if I could just find lactose free, sugar free, I would be in for a gallon or so....... (ain't getting older just such a wild ride!)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 11:25:20 PM »
At the risk of getting back on topic, I done the deed.  Hope to fly it tommorrow, uh I mean later today...!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2007, 11:36:52 PM »
Bill,

Green is bad luck. I've learned this.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2007, 10:54:13 AM »
We really have to be practical about mods. Fidelity points, etc are to prevent the extremes, not the necessary. For example, a Nobler with a foam wing would lose some fidlity points since Noblers did not have have a foam wings, but it would be allowed to fly. Extremes would be add a couple inches to a tail moment, or using a tuned pipe, or asymetrical wing panels being changed to less asymetry or equal panels.
There have been arguments about tail wheel heights, but again that would only be a small loss of fidelity points, but tail wheel heights always varied some. Some people think the Gieseke height tail wheel shouldn't be applied to other airplanes, but personally I would rather close that book.

Remember this is not a scale contest, we should enjoy it.

Designers have always played with flap width and length on their airplanes. I have seen many original airplanes over the years that have flaps trimmed, or pieces add to, and painted later when the mod worked out.  Even shortend flaps, with the outboard section changed to trim taps, are not uncommon.

Widening the fuselage to accomodate an engine certainly is no problem. This has no advantage aerodynamically.

Engine improvements, to me, are also no problem. I am currently working on Jack Sheeks "Sea Vixen". Jack had engines ranging from a .35 to a .40 to a .45. in the original airplane. Some details and dimensions are simply not on the "Sea Vixen" drawing. For example, the fuselage formers are not showm. The article says they are 2 1/16" wide. The top view show the formers "close to 2 1/8" but aft of the ply doublers and about 2 1/16" between the doublers. If I made them to that dimension inside the doublers, the mounts would be to far apart for the ROJett .40. which has mounting holes that are close to edge of the mounts. I will also use 1/32" ply doublers instead of the 1/16" that were typically used. My solution will be to have the mounts the proper width for the engine and add to the width of the fuselage sides to get the proper width. I would not be concerned about adding fuselage width, but I won't decrease the width.

Likewise I wouldn't complain about changing the thrust line 1/16" to add a plate under the engine, but in most cases the mounts can be moved the thickness of the desired plate, keeping the thrust line the same, with the added avantage of giving room for tank adjustment.

Again, we like to replicate the originals as close as we can, but keep in mind the the designers made changes, and this is not a scale event. Have fun with it.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 11:47:53 AM by Tom Niebuhr »
AMA 7544

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2007, 11:56:59 AM »
Hi Tom,

Am I the "Blind Hog" again?  The reason I ask is this........

You remarks on the motor mounts, thrustline, etc., had me thinking.....I had been routinely cutting down the motor mounts behind f-1 to give an 1/8th" adjustment to the tank.  Then we started adding 1/8th" pads under the engines........  Not a problem since it added even more adjustment for the tank (though never needed that much!).

Idea came........ use 3/8th" square maple to start with, add the 1/8th" pad, and make it "crutch style"!  This was accompanied by tapering (in overhead view) and extending the motor mounts to the nose ring.  The "new" engines are pretty smooth, not like the Fox 35 usually was, the advent of the crutch, and attendant nose structure, really makes a much more solid nose anyway.  Of course, some videos of Windy building noses for Cardinals was a good bit of inspiration.  The Big Jim nose is solid.

Haven't had any issues with engine runs using this, and the added fact that epoxy wasn't around as much way back in the Classic Era, along with some 1/2 oz. fiberglass on the nose, makes me think that this is viable.

What 'cha think?

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2007, 01:46:26 PM »
Bill,

3/8" sq. will probably work, but I tend to want the 3/8 + pad under the engine. I always use the Windy/Big Jim crutch too. With the lighter (1/32") doublers, I still like the vibration absorption and strength.

You just described the set up for PA 61, etc. When using a Sullivan plastic tank, a 1/8 pad under the engine, along with a 1/8" undercut of the mounts under the tank, is perfect. (I learned that from Bob Gieseke)  Of, course this has nothing to do with "Classic"
AMA 7544

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2007, 11:47:41 AM »
Bill,

3/8" sq. will probably work, but I tend to want the 3/8 + pad under the engine. I always use the Windy/Big Jim crutch too. With the lighter (1/32") doublers, I still like the vibration absorption and strength.

You just described the set up for PA 61, etc. When using a Sullivan plastic tank, a 1/8 pad under the engine, along with a 1/8" undercut of the mounts under the tank, is perfect. (I learned that from Bob Gieseke)  Of, course this has nothing to do with "Classic"

Typo?  Did you mean 1/2" plus pad?  I think so. ??  If not, that's what I was suggesting.  3/8th" plus pad.  I dunno.......... that's why I asked..... ;D

I have also seen undercutting to allow the pad set into the 1/2" and allowing the MM to sit on the top of the fuse sides like they often did and not change the thrust line. (?!)  Just thinking out loud......
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2007, 04:08:30 PM »
Bill,

Whoops, Yes, 1/2" + 1/8 pad under the engine, 1/8 undercut of mounts under the tank.
AMA 7544

Offline Al Rabe

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2007, 09:15:39 AM »
[
Gordon: Reducing the flap area will reduce control loads, however, the REAL problem I am going after is the shed vortex at the wing tip - and flap tip.  Full span flaps, in effect, have to turn that column of air, but if the flaps end 4" or 5" inboard, the flaps stay free of the worst of the vortex - controls lightened, & corners tightened.

Dennis,

For what its worth, I don't believe in shortened flaps.  The only significance in trailing wing tip vortexes is the full scale effect on traffic following a heavy airplane.  Pilots of aircraft are generally unaware of the vortexes we all generate.  Stuntwise, I doubt any advantage.  Granted, shortened flaps will reduce control loads but so will anything which reduces flap negative pitching moments such as smaller chord, less area or travel.  As a general rule, reducing the effectiveness of flaps is simply throwing away lift potential.  No harm if you don't need the lift, and Orientals have a fat airfoil, generous wing area and build light, so there is probably no disadvantage in reducing lift.  As for improving turn, of course reducing flap effectiveness will improve apparent elevator sensitivity.  Flaps create negative pitching moments opposite the pitching moments of the elevators.  We are accustomed to the elevators positive pitching moments being substantially stronger than the negative flap moments, or the airplane wouldn't turn at all.  If we reduce the negative flap pitching moment then the elevator pitching moment will be stronger by comparison.  There are lots of other ways to improve apparent elevator sensitivity.

I wouldn't comment except I am troubled by the thought of a respected designer that this is a generally desirable configuration.  It could lead to people cutting flaps on airplanes which would not profit from the modification.

I have built Orientals and bought them for practice.  I very much admired their simplicity and performance.  They were invaluable to the development of my pattern.  The Mustunt series borrows much from Oriental moments and configuration with the further thought that an excess of lift might be beneficial for less experienced builders and flyers.

Also, Dennis,  thanks for the kind comments you have made here about some of my ideas and designs.

Al 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 07:30:44 PM by Al Rabe »

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2007, 11:36:51 AM »
Good Morning Al...Great to see you posting here on ol stunthanger again.

Years ago...as you know I lived at VIRTUALLY the north end of Sea-Tac's main runway approach in that little apartment near Seattle. It was one of my daily thrills was to sit outside on the deck on a calm summer's eve with a can of Rainier light in my hand as I would look up to the sky and watch in amazement as those big Braniff Airplane lazer-like landing lights started annointing my eyeballs and filling my ears with the screeeeking sound of jet engines...as those huge airplanes would pass so closely over our heads.

What still seems so amazing was that  long moments after those planes had passed and disappeared over the crest of that hill... is that you then could hear this LOUD WHOOOOOSSSSSSHHHH STIRRING OF AIR that would follow and envelope the still night air.
Even the surrounding trees  leaves would begin to flutter and dust would be kicked up around our apt. complex parking lot from that tunneling air after the plane had touched down on the end of the runway.

Thinking back Al....it seemed that the intensity of those Vortex torrents of air off those landing planes seemed more noticable in those calm warm summer nights? Air pressure??? Or was the lack of wind kept the vortex from drifting off the flight path?
Even today Al...I can't drive by that old "10323 DesMoines Way S. without thinking about those days of living under the flight path of those great giants of the sky.

Lots of folks in those apts. hated airplanes....but as you know, Al, I was a kid then...and soon learned to sleep like a deaf-dog as I had been bitten by my love for anything with wings, especially those with a handle...two 65 foot steel lines and a bellcrank with big flaps and elevators. Bottom line: I loved that old apt and the great memories that were created there.
So much has been cussed' and discussed about flap and elevator design...but I think still...one of the most overlooked problems...is votex patterns that are generated by our models in flight and just how we can dealing with this in those dead calm and hot tarmac days of summer. 

I guess the BEAT STILL GOES ON to understand our strange models of flight that go---ROUND ROUND ROUND! H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Al Rabe

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2007, 04:50:33 PM »
Don,

It would be nice to spend a few comfortable minutes talking trash with you.  Is your phone number in the PAMPA reference book?

Al

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2007, 07:57:34 PM »
Al
THANK YOU  for the comment.  You remain one of my favorite thinkers and DO-ers on CLPA design.   BW@

Yes all those conversations we had - I listened and a lot of it got either applied or adapted (except I still haven't built a wiggly rudder! :))  I knew you are of the alternative point of view on the subject of flap span AND flap throw, and I still struggle on how a case can be made for either side of the issue.

Trimming flap span DOES work, and in this case got me exactly what I wanted to achieve.  The explanation that the trailing vortex was at the root was first explained to me by a Detroit area gentleman named Ron Adams who was an early proponent of VERY large and heavy stunters.  Ron even carried the idea to using partial span elevators.  He had two designs published: an A6 Intruder (108 oz and 800 squares)  and the "Marute" (somewhat bigger but lighter).  HOWEVER, there are SO MANY  models flying with flaps out to the tips including most Orientals - seems like one idea or the other should gain precedence. 

Let me toss this out:  I think part of the issue rest in the basics physics of control feel and line tension.  Control feel is what we get pulling one way or the other to command a manuver,  while the bird is pulling back.  We cannot pull any harder than the airplanes ability to pull back - thus control feels "heavy".  In my case I was working too hard to get a full corner.  Conversely, a heavy/powerful airplane with higher line tension pulls back harder and the Pilot (within HIS physics!) senses a different feel.

I read about folks insisting that a Oriental needs a 46 to fly right - I struggle with that!  As you pointed out the bird is light with a friendly airfoil.  LOTS have been built/flown and winning with Fox 35's.  I am flying mine with a LA 40 that I think represents a 50% power upgrade!  However if folks are using the 46's and trimming for lots of line tension to overcome a slight heaviness in the control feel - maybe THAT is the case....?

The effect I get when cutting the flaps is different/superior to the effect (feel) I have gotten by narrowing the flaps.  I DID notice a loss of control load AND opening of the corner for narrow flaps.

I'm working on an ARF Cardinal for my Dad, the flaps have already been cut!  But I KNOW it will be a COLD day in .... Texas before we see a Bearcat with part span flaps with 3:2 elevator-flap ratio!!!

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2007, 09:49:03 PM »
Dennis..
I think I understand what you are saying...when it come to larger, heavier, models on relatively small sized stunters that could use a light weight engine up front, more importantly carry a small amount (and lighter load) of fuel. Again...using a lighter smaller dia. prop...(even a smaller 3 blader if possible..(to lessen that nasty gyroscopic prop procession)
BUT AGAIN...KEEPING THE C.G IN THE PROPER LOCATION..WITHOUT ENDING UP WITH THAT DREADED BAR-BELL EFFECT that happens when one tries IN VAIN TO LOAD IN A BUNCH OF TAIL WEIGHT!
THIS TO ME....HAS MADE MORE CRAPPOLA OUT OF MORE STUNT MODELS THAN ANY OTHER ONE MAIN INGREDIANT!
From that point forward TIME TIME TIME AND PAIN PAIN PAIN....is a forever wasted downward spiral...IN AN EFFORT TO MAKE A SILK STUNT PURSE OUT OF A PURTY HEAVY OVERWEIGHTED PIG PURSE!  NOTHING LOOKS WORSE THAN A MODEL THAT BOBBLES AND WOBBLES AND HOPS LIKE A FLYING BUNNY WITH WINGS!

Any of you guys that remember JOE DILL's Custom semi scale Crusader with the Shark 45 wing and tail.....THAT WEIGHTED A MIGHTY 68 or more ounces??? BUT STILL TOOK HOME A POT LOAD OF 1ST PLACE HARDWARE?
WHY?
FIRST...Joe had a very very short front end with the K&B45's tank stuck waaay back into the root rib area..
HAD A VERY SHORT FLAP TO ELEVATOR HINGE LINE! With oversized stab and elevator to help stable things through some amazingly sharp and snappy corners with lazer sharp square 8's
LEO...PHIL...TED! ANYONE WHO SAW LITTLE JOE CARVE UP THOSE GREAT PATTERNS...WITH THAT HEAVY MODEL...was astounded that model could fly with such a good track.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 08:59:05 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2007, 10:17:04 PM »
>>I DID notice a loss of control load AND opening of the corner for narrow flaps.<<

Oh Dennis, you really need to talk to Howard Rush. His Impact has the most trick flaps setup you've ever seen and is specifically design to reduce control loads while maintaining really pretty big flaps. Interesting approach.

Those tabs you see are hinged to the flaps and are actuated so that they work in the opposite direction of flap throw. Howard says that it reduces control loads substantially without doing much to the lift potential of the wing. Cool idea.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2007, 09:05:41 AM »
Don,

It would be nice to spend a few comfortable minutes talking trash with you.  Is your phone number in the PAMPA reference book?

Al

My brotha-in-balsa shavings and dust to dust! It is alway a pleasure to "Hanger-trash talk with you.
Phone is still the same: 253 857-4699 (and still exiled in Gig Harbor, Wa.)
Don Shultz

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2007, 10:09:52 PM »
Doc
Thanks.  Now its TOO LATE to worry about cutting the flaps as the deed is DONE!.. I did get exactly what I was looking for too.   ~>

Rear exhaust? Heck, I feel GUILTY about using an LA40 instead of a Fox 35!  n1

...and my FUN METER has been up against the pegs!  #^
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here