News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:54:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Time To Finish The Spitfire  (Read 21020 times)

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Time To Finish The Spitfire
« on: April 01, 2018, 06:09:38 AM »
After a 12 year absence from the hobby, time to dust off my scratch built Adamusko/Urtnowski Spitfire. I got the canopy on last night, now I just need to blend it in. What makes it difficult for me is getting a smooth blend from the wood to the canopy because you have to guess the thickness the silkspan and paint will add to the surrounding area of the canopy and hope they come in at the same height. HB~>
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 02:10:42 PM by kevin king »

Offline MikeCoulombe

• Commander
Re: Time To Finish The Spitfire
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 10:24:20 AM »
Right on Buddy, welcome back.
 #^

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 11:40:24 AM »
Thanks mike. H^^ Charles should like that Skylark, its 2k clear coat, sprayed waaay back in the 1990's. Z@@ZZZ Lol. *Update* here's a picture taken of me 28 years later. Same place, new plane.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 02:24:57 PM by kevin king »

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 12:39:58 PM »
Everything is in silver except the fuse, rudder, cowl and air scoop. I still have to silkspan them. The entire plane will be in sprayed with Sig Silver to highlight every defect on the model, making it easier spot, sand and fill. After the silver is perfect, I will start laying down the invasion stripes.

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 03:19:50 PM »
Kevin,

Welcome.

All the building I see looks excellent, especially the cowling detail.  H^^

Looks like you have excellent building skills, I'm glad you're posting your work.

And a Spitfire to boot!!

Are your lead outs solid wire? Gear legs look really interesting.

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 07:10:16 PM »
This Spitfire has solid lead outs.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 07:30:35 PM by kevin king »

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 07:36:07 PM »
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 11:02:05 AM by kevin king »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 08:00:02 PM »

Kevin,

Thanks for that generous PDF file.  H^^

Ya gotta love the Spitfire wing.

That Spitfire wing build must have been a challenge?

I'm looking forward to more photos.

What a guy!

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 05:56:46 AM »
Sorry the plan wasn't better. The wing actually was not that difficult. The tips were intimidating but nothing compared too that Hi Johnson Stuka wing. I built the  Spitfire wing over a dead flat table using (2) 3/8" steel rods with supports at the center and tips. Its straight as an arrow. All 4-6lbs contest balsa from Riley Wooten's Lone Star Balsa. it has a molded leading edge, 4 inch bellcrank, adjustable leadout guide and wing tip weight box. The 1/8 landing gear arm goes right to the top of the huge fat wing for strength and the wing is covered with medium silkspan, Old School. I did get the canopy blended in some more, because I made a mess of the first one.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 07:09:10 AM »
Finally! Got some work done on the Spit. Saturday morning, Got up at 5am, wife still sleeping. Between work and wasting time on the internet nothing gets done! Did some more sanding around the fuse where it meets the canopy. I had a different thinner canopy fitted originally, so that, combined with fitting a different one took some time. Thanks to Charles for his help and to Lee for loaning me some Spitfire videos!

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 10:35:14 PM »
Ready for Dope. Got the canopy blending done; Sanded down the fiber glassed nose; Block sanded the entire fuse with 320; Sanded and cleaned up where the wing fillet will be; Fitted the Ro Jett 65; Opened up a hole where the needle valve exists the fuse.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 10:39:18 PM »

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 08:07:07 PM »
I got some more work done on the Spitfire. I moved the air scoop forward to get the exhaust outlet further away from the fuselage. I also opened up the hole on the scoop to help get rid of the heat from the header. The only reason I originally went with a rear exhaust thinking it would help minimize the exhaust residue on the finish, but I don't know if it will help much. I would have installed my brand new Big Jim ST 60, but the mounting holes are different and its its a little heavier. I got the first coat of 35/65 Sig Lite Coat on the fuse, cowl and rudder, thinned with Canadian Tire Lacquer thinner, its made by Recochem.                                                                       

Kevin

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 12:00:16 AM »
Alright! got some more done on the Spit! Everything is now covered in medium silkspan I got from Sig Manufacturing! The cowl I managed to skip the filler coat and its now in silver. The fuse had the first 3 coats of Lite Coat thinned 30/70 and brushed on, sanding with 320 after the 2nd coat. after the silkspan was applied, I brushed on 4 coats of 35/65 Lite Coat sanding with 320 after the 2nd and will sand the 4th coat with 320 to. I am hoping to skip the filler coats but I don't know, the wood has some pretty deep grain. What else? I want to install a camera mount in the wing after seeing how cool it was from using one on my wife's P40 Warhawk. That means I would have to cut the silkspan off 1 open bay, no big deal, but I am also considering to replace all the silkspan (On the open bays only) with Polyspan to but it would add a lot of weight...I have to think about this one...For any that want to see the P40 please check out my youtube channel. Its "Control Line Precision Aerobatics".
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 09:32:49 AM by kevin king »

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2018, 12:05:31 AM »
My you tube channel

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2018, 05:06:07 PM »
Ok, I decided I liked the video camera on the P40 Warhawk so much that I cut the Spitfire wing open to install another. All it takes is some plywood and a 440 blind mounting nut. These video cameras are the lightest at 17 grams and have the best video quality. You can get these camera at this link. Don't buy from anyone else because there are ALOT of fakes out there! https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mini-DVR-808-16-V3-Lens-D-Car-Key-Chain-Micro-Camera-HD-720P-Pocket-Camcorder/180937263580?hash=item2a20b389dc:g:aaoAAOxycmBS01Wl

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2018, 05:13:47 PM »
I have a Mobius camera I just stick on and use a rubber band to help secure....fun footage.
Shug

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2018, 10:22:28 PM »
Alright, camera mount is pretty much done. I took 2 pieces of 1/16" plywood and epoxied them together with the grain going in the opposite direction, and sanded a very slight curve on the side that will be glued against the inside leading edge sheeting. The rear part of the mount will be against the 1/4" wing spar, the left side of the mount will be up against the plywood landing gear doubler. The rest I sanded and tapered down to a curve to avoid any stress risers. The glass cloth I will lay down first to strengthen up the wing sheeting. Patched up hole with medium silkspan; Using Sig Supercoat high shrink clear to tighten up the silkspan.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 10:40:41 PM by kevin king »

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2018, 05:38:56 AM »
Ha ha @ Vomit cam Shug. I subscribed to your channel and have watched lots of your videos. I gave this one a thumbs up. As for camera mounts, its been my experience that a solidly mounted camera gives a lot better picture, plus the reassurance of it not flying off and hitting someone, or even worse not being able to find where it landed ;D
Not had one fly off ....yet!
I like to get several options of mounting for different angles.
Fun to watch and see the surrounding area from planes POV.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 07:57:02 AM »
Ok! I got the day off work so I can get back to what's really important, Spitfires! #^. Instead of having the camera mount sitting on the surface of the wing like on the P40, I decided to recess it, that way it will never damage the paint. I will make a 'Gas cap' out of 1/16" plywood and balsa to use when the camera is not installed! ;D Got 2 more coats of Supercoat on the patch, It looks ugly but soon you will never know it was patched! ;D I also had a DENT on the silkspan over an open bay so I brushed on some Supercoat to see if it would disappear, we will see...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 08:34:51 AM by kevin king »

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2018, 08:40:29 AM »
Pictured: Dent in the silkspan.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2018, 08:44:46 AM »
Pictured: Supercoating the silkspan. Tight as a drum. Your wife's iron and hair dryer not required.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 01:01:37 PM by kevin king »

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2018, 05:56:07 AM »
Happy Sunday everyone! Ok, Spitfire open wing surgery is now done, and everything is back in silver. That dent I just put a small patch of silkspan over; The gas cap/ camera mount cover is done, so the camera will sit lower in the wing, giving it a cooler more aerodynamically correct look, and wont mar the finish like it would if it was flush mounted. I also got the rudder in silver and I'm now working on sanding the clear on the Fuse to get it perfectly flat with an absolute minimum amount of paint.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 06:28:58 PM by kevin king »

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2018, 07:48:37 AM »
I got the clear on the fuse meticulously sanded down as flat as I could get it without going down to the silkspan, and where I did I just sealed it with one brush stroke of clear, mostly where the silkspan overlapped. I skipped the fillercoat and sprayed it with silver. I can now fill only where needed, instead of doing the entire fuse like I've always done in the past. I want to keep the weight to a minimum. I feel that I've accomplished that. I am also trying to keep the fillets to a minimum. In the olden days I remember putting 1/4 inch epoxolite fillets on my Argus ;D

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2018, 06:15:46 AM »
Weee doggy, just got back from Toronto and the highlight of my trip was meeting two time world champion Arden Zhang and checking out his hobby shop. Theres a link in the description box, What a great guy!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 06:38:46 AM by kevin king »

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2018, 08:41:15 AM »
Blending in the Landing Gear Doors: I also put 3 pieces of masking tape on the bottom of each door to raise them up higher than the surface of the wing before sanding them flush. After removing the tape from the bottom of the door they will sit be a bit lower, to allow for the thickness of the dope and silkspan.about silver and masking tape, I have found 99 % of the problems are not with the paint but with the painter. Tape pulling up silver = NOT ENOUGH THINNER.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 05:17:48 PM by kevin king »

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2018, 06:37:53 PM »
I sprayed clear on the canopy today. It was 37 percent humidity. Its like you have to paint in a desert to stop the moisture. Most of it did evaporate, but not all of it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 02:43:06 PM by kevin king »

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2018, 08:36:42 AM »
I am voting first picture top right, the one with invasion stripes. 
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2018, 06:26:03 PM »
I am voting first picture top right, the one with invasion stripes.
Thanks for the feedback TDM. I agree with you. I will try to upload a pic of the real invasion- striped spitfire I am trying to copy. The black wing walk on top of the invasion stripe sealed the deal. Google image search "mk 959" for better pics of this one! Also,  Do you or anyone else know what colors the camouflage is for Sig or Brodak dope? Thanks.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2018, 07:06:25 PM »
This picture %^@

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2018, 08:18:14 PM »
The models wing is a near perfect shape as the real one. This made copying the real Spitfires paint lines to the model real easy and accurate.  The fuse is a different story. I will have to finesse the graphics a lot...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 08:40:30 PM by kevin king »

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2018, 08:35:01 PM »
Laying out the trim. I will go for the fat wing walk like the one pictured in front of the model instead of the more common thin one shown in many of the pictures

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2018, 06:14:40 AM »
Because you are not exactly scale interpret in terms of what you have. I would think the stripes are about half the wing then look at your wing and make them about half the wing and so on. That will be an unbelievable cool model. Good luck.
What I would like to do is a Voodoo from Reno racing. I could use the same things I have now wings and tails and make a fuselage. Also I wanted to make a RC Citation with all the good stuff. I need to stop dreaming.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2018, 03:29:15 PM »
Thanks TDM. You should build that P51 man! Reno Air racers are cool and I Love that Voodoo's paint job. I have a Tsunami Reno air racer in my stable ;D So... Yesterday I was outside on the balcony spraying on the Spit's fin flash, and I put a good dent in the wing. Got it fixed now. I also got the Brodak exhaust stacks on too. I got a good tip from Walter Hicks, glue thin plywood on the backs before you put them on the fuse. I will also drill a small hole in the bottom just incase the heat of the sun swells them up and they separate from the fuselage.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2018, 03:32:53 PM »
Fixing another dent. 🙄
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 02:44:30 PM by kevin king »

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2018, 03:36:42 PM »
Dent fixed. Working on the fin flash! Finally going to see some color paint!  n~ ;D

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2018, 03:40:53 PM »
Exhaust installed.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2018, 03:50:15 PM »
Sig White and Brodak Insignia Blue & Red
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 07:03:40 AM by kevin king »

Online scott v.

• 23 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2018, 11:12:54 AM »
Just saw this and I would go with the moose!

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2018, 02:53:36 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Scott. I will put that moose on the one side and the Spitfire pilot on the other. 😁 I really like the foam coming out of that moose's mouth ;D
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 03:16:32 PM by kevin king »

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2018, 04:59:48 PM »
This is my 1st attempt spraying invasion stripes. I went to the dollar store and bought a roll of transparent vinyl used for protecting book covers for 2 dollars, then cut it the width of my invasion stripe panel for the wing and marked it with a 90 degree line where the hinge line will be. It sure conforms to the wing better than construction paper. So measuring from the flap fairing out, I marked the trailing edge where I wanted my invasion stripes to begin on both wings, then tacked the vinyl down with tape. Using the hinge line and 90 degree line I drew on the vinyl as a reference, I then masked off the 2 edges using the vinyl as a guide. I also used 4 paper shims to keep the flaps centered. After masking I cut the tape over the hinge line, pulled off the flaps and masked everything off for paint.  I added plasticizer and fish eye killer to white Sig Dope thinned 35/65 with lacquer thinner. Sprayed more on the top surfaces than the bottoms, except for the flaps because I failed to mark them.  n1 More white on the center and 2 outer edges where they wont be sprayed black. I will let it dry over night and apply a third coat to the top if necessary.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 06:23:07 PM by kevin king »

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2018, 11:04:59 AM »
Invasion stripe panel

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2018, 06:45:15 AM »
Big phat invasion stripes with a black stripe for the wing walk. I love it.

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2018, 06:09:18 AM »
I started to wonder what happened with you. great to see you are back at it.
Kevin the substrate looks great but can I ask a stupid question. Why didn't you paint the white for stripes on the fuselage too? Kind of make sense if you spray white you might just spray white everywhere it applies.  ???
Put the moose with the rider on the nose as a kind of nose art. Scale and print on decal paper transfer to the nose clear on top. You can also make a Iron Maiden lettering decal and stick it under the moose. That would make a cool nose art.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2018, 05:49:20 PM »
Hi TDM. I will have invasion stripes on the fuse to but I haven't decided how I want them layed out. The scale Spitfire has the stripes starting just behind the cockpit, but that would bring the invasion stripes on the model to far forward past the flaps.  I will cross that bridge when I get to it . Just focusing on getting the invasion stripes on the wing for now.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 09:39:41 AM by kevin king »

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2018, 02:05:55 PM »
2 pieces of black construction paper to help lay down the tape lines. I will reduced their width .5  to 1.0mm to replicate the slightly narrower black stripes compared to the white ones, just like the real spitfire. (Thanks Charles).

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2018, 04:19:45 AM »

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2018, 08:59:59 AM »
Soon there will be two warbirds.😁

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2018, 08:16:17 PM »
ACTUALLY ,
curtosey of the R.a.F. Museum ,

" What were the dimensions of the invasion stripes carried by RAF aircraft on D-Day?
Black and white stripes were painted prominently on many British and American aircraft just before D-Day (6 June 1944) to make them easier to recognise as "friendly". These stripes (three white and two black) were 18 inches (457 mm) wide and were painted chordwise on the upper and lower surfaces of both wings and around the fuselage. The outer edge of the mainplane bands was 6 inches (152 mm) inboard of the RAF roundel and the rear edge of the fuselage bands was 18 inches (457 mm) forward of the tailplane. "

Earlier Hawker Typhoon /mpest had 12 & 18 In Stripes . After White Noses & yellow overwing stripes . Were ' Hawker Typhoon / Tempest ONLY .

LATER came the Full Invasion Stripes . ALL 18 Inch . unless for a twin or four engined aircraft .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2018, 08:19:57 PM »
Sometimes they ran out of masking tape .  S?P

ALL Spitfire Stripes Are 18 inch . Start within a gnats dick of 1/2 O/A Span . Except for when the wing tips have fallen off .

And sometimes they didnt have a tappe measure / ruler .  :-\

Advertise Here

Advertise Here